Remember me
▼ Content

Sink holes

Sink holes14-11-2016 18:56
Petester
☆☆☆☆☆
(5)
Could those sink holes that are occurring world wide be from climate change?

What I'd really like to know if some of you learned people here could help with is what are the chances of a sink hole or possibly many sink holes tapping into a natural underground water canal that is connected to a large water source like a lake or even a ocean? Thanks for your time
14-11-2016 19:36
climate scientist
★★☆☆☆
(257)
Hi Petester

There is a lot of evidence in the scientific literature that links the appearance of sink holes to human activity, but this is mostly caused by water drainage, not climate change.

There is a link of climate change to rainfall, so it is possible that changes in rainfall patterns will cause changes in sink hole appearances, although I don't think there is much data on this. And even if the link does exist, I would expect the effect to be very small, compared to the effect from human induced irrigation and drainage of the land.

I'm sure that it is very possible for a sink hole to connect to natural fresh and salt water reserves, however, I have no idea what the probability of that would be. It will be highly dependent on location, proximity to water sources/coast, soil and rock type, weather patterns, etc.

Please let me know if you have further questions about this.
14-11-2016 19:51
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3109)
Petester wrote: Could those sink holes that are occurring world wide be from climate change?

What is the "climate" in the first place?

Petester, do sink holes cause this "climate" thing to change or do changes in the "climate" thing cause sink holes?

Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-11-2016 19:54
IBdaMann
★★★★★
(3109)
climate scientist wrote:Please let me know if you have further questions about this.

You never clarified what "climate" is in the first place.

Also, does "greenhouse effect" cause an increase in temperature?

Global Warming: The preferred religion of the scientifically illiterate.

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
17-11-2016 03:11
Petester
☆☆☆☆☆
(5)
Actually because this is a climate focused site I used ckimate for lack of a better word ,but thanks to the scientist guy for your input,to tell you the truth im trying to make a link to global flooding and waiting for the poles and glaciers to melt would take too long then the sink hole theory occurred to me.

I admit that it is very far fetched but think about it,if the world were to flood it would take more than melting of the existing ice wouldn't it?

So how about that along with existing dry ground dropping below sea level? Which could happen theoretically if more sink holes open up and possibly tap into a large water source correct?
31-03-2018 21:10
Wake
★★★★★
(3260)
IBdaMann wrote:
Petester wrote: Could those sink holes that are occurring world wide be from climate change?

Petester, do sink holes cause this "climate" thing to change or do changes in the "climate" thing cause sink holes?

The definition of climate is an average of the temperature, windspeed, humidity and rainfall in an area over a defined period. This period is generally at least 30 years.

Climate change is a CHANGE in that pattern over at least 30 years or so.

Don't fall for the idiots that try to make this definition seem difficult or meaningless.
01-04-2018 20:12
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5019)
Wake wrote:
IBdaMann wrote:

The definition of climate is an average of the temperature, windspeed, humidity and rainfall in an area over a defined period. This period is generally at least 30 years.

Climate change is a CHANGE in that pattern over at least 30 years or so.

Don't fall for the idiots that try to make this definition seem difficult or meaningless.

Climate is 'weather over a long time'. The time is unspecified.

The Parrot Killer
04-04-2018 09:26
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1082)
Petester wrote:
Could those sink holes that are occurring world wide be from climate change?

What I'd really like to know if some of you learned people here could help with is what are the chances of a sink hole or possibly many sink holes tapping into a natural underground water canal that is connected to a large water source like a lake or even a ocean? Thanks for your time

Sink holes are where the rain water, which is acidic, attacks limestone. This eventually rots away the limestone which is the shells of sea creatures from long ago.

Sink holes have been happening for ever. They are not new.

They can only happen in areas with limestone.

They have no relavence to climate change.

Join the debate Sink holes:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Are "popcorn" black holes the answer to linear entropy and, maybe, M2C2?412-10-2015 21:06
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2017 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact