Remember me
▼ Content

Side effects of injecting sulfur into the atmosphere (geoengineering)

Side effects of injecting sulfur into the atmosphere (geoengineering)14-10-2016 19:49
agaemmon
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
I know that geoengineering is often seen as a desperate measure, or a last resort, but now that the level of carbon dioxide is over 400ppm, the world is heating up faster. This would cause the methane locked up in permafrost to escape and to make the situation even worse. Methane has a more damaging effect than carbon dioxide but remains in the atmosphere for a shorter time compared to carbon dioxide. So maybe we need to stop this from happening and to reduce the effect of the additional methane in the atmosphere. An option would be the Pinatubo option, which would be to inject sulfur directly into the atmosphere, but what I would like to know is whether this would have any effects on the atmosphere.
14-10-2016 19:58
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Yes, it would turn to sulfur dioxide cause acid rain for a start.
14-10-2016 20:12
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14377)
agaemmon wrote: ... but now that the level of carbon dioxide is over 400ppm, the world is heating up faster.

The world is not heating up as far as anyone can tell and is probably cooling (indiscernibly). Atmospheric CO2 has no magical energy-creating superpower.

agaemmon wrote: This would cause the methane locked up in permafrost to escape and to make the situation even worse.

The situation is good, not bad. Atmospheric methane only makes the situation worse when someone farts and it smells bad for a moment.

agaemmon wrote: Methane has a more damaging effect than carbon dioxide ...

Correct. CO2 doesn't have any odor.

agaemmon wrote: An option would be the Pinatubo option, which would be to inject sulfur directly into the atmosphere, but what I would like to know is whether this would have any effects on the atmosphere.

@ jwoodward48, before you claim "No one is arguing for atmospheric sulfur-blasting" ... yes, there are warmizombies who argue this. Don't think this is by any means the first time this idea has appeared in warmizombie forums.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-10-2016 20:17
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
I also recommend asking elsewhere if you want a sensible answer this forum is a troll-fest.
14-10-2016 20:40
(14377)
I recommend ignoring the unhelpful religion-based trolls, e.g. spot, who won't be providing any value-added science.
14-10-2016 20:59
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
My side is tainted by idiots, yes. Why would we inject sulfur into the atmosphere? Why?!
14-10-2016 21:19
(14377)
jwoodward48 wrote: My side is tainted by idiots, yes. Why would we inject sulfur into the atmosphere? Why?!

Answer: To eliminate the CO2 pollution threat and kill all life on the earth's surface in the process!

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
14-10-2016 21:25
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
When you see a claim that a common drug or vitamin "kills cancer cells in a Petri dish", keep in mind: So does a handgun.

I thought it humorous and relevant.
Edited on 14-10-2016 21:26
14-10-2016 22:00
(14377)
14-10-2016 22:04
jwoodward48
★★★★☆
(1537)
Heh. Good find.

Join the debate Side effects of injecting sulfur into the atmosphere (geoengineering):

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Layers of the Atmosphere as Viewed in Blue2227-01-2024 23:16
Geoengineering to Neutralize Ocean Acidification32305-12-2023 22:09
upper atmosphere temp21207-10-2023 19:02
Climate change - effects, impact and solutions3417-08-2023 08:19
ppm CO2 in atmosphere3312-03-2021 02:47
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact