Remember me
▼ Content

Prove It!

Prove It!05-12-2018 11:44
cthor29
☆☆☆☆☆
(3)
Can somebody show me how they can prove that the sea is rising? How did they measure it? DID THEY TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE EFFECT OF EVERY BOAT, FISH, ANIMAL, PERSON IN THE WATER THAT CAUSES THE WATER TO BE DISPLACED. How can they be accurate. Is it just speculation, without taking into account every variation. Since the water is always moving, how can they talk in such minute terms? Speculation and Theory is NOT PROOF.
05-12-2018 20:41
Into the Night
★★★★★
(6074)
It's obviously not possible. There are storm surges, rogue waves, different temperatures of the water in different places, etc.

One way people are claiming to measure sea level is tidal stations along the coast. Unfortunately, the reference point is the land they are sitting on, which moves. It even has a 'tide', just like the sea.

Satellites can measure their distance to the surface using radar altimeters that are quite accurate. The problem is, they have to have a reference point (since the satellite itself isn't quite sure where IT is!

The reference point used for U.S. satellites is a beacon station in Boulder, CO. Like the tidal stations, this station too is referenced to land, which moves. It's altitude is referenced to 'sea level', which is the thing they are trying to measure!

Basically what this means is that measuring the sea level is like trying to measure a spot on a wall with a ruler randomly placed on it. The spot might be at 6 inches, but what is zero? In other words, there is no valid reference point for measuring sea level. All we can do is estimate it to withing several dozen feet, certainly not the accuracy that is claimed by the Church of Global Warming.
05-12-2018 21:54
gfm7175
★☆☆☆☆
(50)
cthor29 wrote:
Can somebody show me how they can prove that the sea is rising? How did they measure it? DID THEY TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE EFFECT OF EVERY BOAT, FISH, ANIMAL, PERSON IN THE WATER THAT CAUSES THE WATER TO BE DISPLACED. How can they be accurate. Is it just speculation, without taking into account every variation. Since the water is always moving, how can they talk in such minute terms? Speculation and Theory is NOT PROOF.

Good display of Logic and reasoning here, cthor29!!

In short, the best these people can do is guess... They don't take into account any of these factors that you and Into The Night have listed. How can they, really? They have no reference point...
05-12-2018 22:35
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(222)
cthor29 wrote:
....prove that the sea is rising? How did they measure it?....

The word "proof" isn't used much in science. "Convincing evidence" is.

Measurements. Hundred year continuing observations of tide gauges at multiple locations.

An explanation here: https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/oceanography/question356.htm

A record of one tide measuring station: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends_station.shtml?id=9414290

Examine enough of those tide gauge measurement records from stations around the world and then see if there is a trend. Or no trend.

The tide gauge measurements won't show a cause of sealevel change, just whether or not there is a change.
06-12-2018 01:57
gfm7175
★☆☆☆☆
(50)
still learning wrote:
The word "proof" isn't used much in science.

It technically shouldn't be used at all in science... science doesn't make use of proofs.

still learning wrote:"Convincing evidence" is.

That word shouldn't be used in science either... science doesnt make use of supporting evidence... it only makes use of conflicting evidence.

still learning wrote:Measurements. Hundred year continuing observations of tide gauges at multiple locations.

An explanation here: https://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/oceanography/question356.htm

A record of one tide measuring station: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends_station.shtml?id=9414290

Examine enough of those tide gauge measurement records from stations around the world and then see if there is a trend. Or no trend.

The tide gauge measurements won't show a cause of sealevel change, just whether or not there is a change.

I don't trust those measurements. There's no way that I know of to accurately measure sea levels...
Edited on 06-12-2018 01:58
06-12-2018 03:26
Into the Night
★★★★★
(6074)
still learning wrote:
cthor29 wrote:
....prove that the sea is rising? How did they measure it?....

The word "proof" isn't used much in science. "Convincing evidence" is.

Science has no proofs. It is an open functional system. It does not use supporting evidence either. Science is a set of falsifiable theories. The only evidence science is interested in is conflicting evidence.
still learning wrote:
Measurements. Hundred year continuing observations of tide gauges at multiple locations.

Means nothing. Those tidal stations are sitting on land. Land is the reference point. Land moves.

Is the sea rising, or is the land sinking?

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Prove It!:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
So there is no greenhouse effect, and I can prove it .. what to do next?6401-06-2017 10:26
Do man-made climate change deniers prove man-made climate change exists?10117-10-2015 17:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2017 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact