Remember me
▼ Content

New Member searching for Data

New Member searching for Data28-10-2015 00:16
moe44688
☆☆☆☆☆
(3)
Hi everyone, I joined this data to share some information and with hopes that the members on this forum will be able to help me find some data.

A little about:
My name is Moe, I am currently a senior majoring in Applied Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science. I enjoy work with large sets of data, data analysis and data management.

Why I am here:
I am currently conducting research in order to provide proof for, or against, global warming. I plan to evaluate the temperature over the past 100 years of various cities, starting with cities in the U.S. and then hopefully cities in other countries. I think I should also look at the temperature of the poles over the 100 years as well, but for now one thing at time.

What I've done(not much):
I was able to find data on the temperature of NYC over the past 100 years. I graphed the average temperature per year according to the solar cycles and I am looking for some trends.

I hope to do the same with other cities. I wish to do the same for Anchorage, Alaska, however I am having a difficult time finding the data I need. Would anyone know where I can find this data? I was able to easily find the data for NYC with a quick google search, that is not the same for Anchorage.

Also, I am open to suggestions on how to improve this project.

Thanks to everyone in advance
Moe
28-10-2015 00:39
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21596)
moe44688 wrote:
Hi everyone, I joined this data to share some information and with hopes that the members on this forum will be able to help me find some data.

A little about:
My name is Moe, I am currently a senior majoring in Applied Mathematics with a minor in Computer Science. I enjoy work with large sets of data, data analysis and data management.

Why I am here:
I am currently conducting research in order to provide proof for, or against, global warming. I plan to evaluate the temperature over the past 100 years of various cities, starting with cities in the U.S. and then hopefully cities in other countries. I think I should also look at the temperature of the poles over the 100 years as well, but for now one thing at time.

What I've done(not much):
I was able to find data on the temperature of NYC over the past 100 years. I graphed the average temperature per year according to the solar cycles and I am looking for some trends.

I hope to do the same with other cities. I wish to do the same for Anchorage, Alaska, however I am having a difficult time finding the data I need. Would anyone know where I can find this data? I was able to easily find the data for NYC with a quick google search, that is not the same for Anchorage.

Also, I am open to suggestions on how to improve this project.

Thanks to everyone in advance
Moe

Welcome to the forum, Moe! I too am interested in individual station data.

I've found that NOAA maintains stations in the lower 48, and each of these maintain their own independent dataset. These stations also include information on the reliability of measurement (how many times for durations of outages) in the dataset. Each stations stores raw and locally corrected temperature and precipitation data.

Unfortunately, Alaska and Hawaii contain no NOAA stations. There is hope, though. Information on Alaska is available through various privately operated stations. Due to the harsh conditions in many parts of Alaska, the history of these readings doesn't go back very far, but they are long enough to get you something useful to work with.

Hawaii is a little more difficult. Most of that information is collected by airport and military stations and doesn't go back very far at all. I suppose the upside is that weather doesn't change much in Hawaii.

One source you might find extremely useful in your research is http://cdiac.ornl.gov/epubs/ndp/ushcn/ushcn_map_interface.html. These are individual NOAA stations scattered across the lower 48, with records dating back to about 1890. You can get the raw data or plots of it.

We have on this site a thread called the Data Mine which might serve to alert you to other sources of useful data. Rules set up there encourage describing where the data comes from and the instrumentation used, and discourages composite data sites.

Good luck in your research!
28-10-2015 09:53
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
Hi Moe,

I think what you're doing is great. Although I don't have any direct data to offer you, I am sure there is a vast quantity of it already online, and that others here may be able to help you gather and evaluate it.

While 100 years is a considerable time frame, might I suggest that, if possible, you expand your time horizon to at least the mid-1800's, as most authorities say that M2C2 (man-made climate change) like GW is due to our industrial revolution which began in the 19th century. Obviously, there will be limited data the farther you go back, but, given your best effort, I think this will improve the validity of your conclusions.

Good luck, and I look forward to reading of your progress here.

trafn

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!
28-10-2015 10:32
climate scientist
★★☆☆☆
(257)
Hi Moe

I would encourage you to use as much data as possible, from as many independent sources as possible. I think you will struggle to find long time series for the poles, but there are lots of data for the US.

Here are some extra data sources for you:

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/station_data/

GISS have some data for Anchorage

http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/

The CRU dataset contains some different stations to the NOAA and GISS datasets.

I would also recommend that you look at sea surface temperatures, if you want to assess global warming. Here are some links to SST data:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadisst/

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/marineocean-data/extended-reconstructed-sea-surface-temperature-ersst-v3b

There are probably others as well.

You might also want to consider looking at proxy data, such as those from corals:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/sog/cortad/

I think it would be interesting to see whether the coral derived temperature data overlap with the instrumental temperature data. There are other proxy data available, such as lake sediments, tree rings etc. Tree rings are known to diverge from temperatures in recent decades, but seem to be reliable before about 1960.

I hope these links are helpful to you, and I look forward to hearing your conclusions.
29-10-2015 16:05
moe44688
☆☆☆☆☆
(3)
Thank you very much for the replies. I quickly looked at the links provided and there seems to a be a lot of information. I have some interviews for an internship/PT entry level position and a test which will taking up the rest of the week, so I will be looking at these links in detail this weekend.

Trafn, I wish it was easier to go back more than 100 years. I'm struggling to find data for 100 years of various cities at the moment. Going back, say 150 years, will mean there will be very few cities that have data going that far back. I will do more research on gathering data from mid 1800's after I complete my initial research. I think it would be interesting to see how they compare. Thank you very much for your input.

Climate Scientist, Thanks for the links. I will definitely try to look at Sea Surface Temperatures rather than just focusing on cities. That is a very good idea that I didn't even consider. I've never heard of coral derived temperature or any other proxy data. That will require a bit of research on my part but I will look into that.

Thanks for the input guys. A lot of good information.
29-10-2015 16:23
moe44688
☆☆☆☆☆
(3)
Into the night, great link, thanks a lot!! It even goes back to the mid 1800's. Perfect. I can't thank you guys enough. I'm excited to work on this project this weekend. Will be back with updates.

Join the debate New Member searching for Data:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Real Perspective on Warming - NASA Data524-04-2024 10:31
climate-debate.com awaits 100th new member since my first post901-11-2023 22:45
Seattle woman kidnapped and held in cinderblock cage by BLM member003-08-2023 13:48
Welcome to new member tom1231315-07-2023 21:09
CDC Data Reveals. Majority of COVID-19 Deaths in America Occur Among the Vaccinated & Boosted030-11-2022 20:38
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact