Remember me
▼ Content

Michael Oppenheimer, M2C2 Lecture, Pace Univ, 2014

Michael Oppenheimer, M2C2 Lecture, Pace Univ, 201417-11-2015 17:47
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
Here's a great video about M2C2 (man-made climate change) with Michael Oppenheimer of Princeton University giving a guest lecture at Pace University in 2014:

Michael Oppenheimer, Pace Univ, 2014 - video

Michael Oppenheimer, Pace Univ, 2014 - slides

Be sure to download the POWER POINT PDF so you can follow along, as they don't show the slides in the video.

Brief Bio: Michael Oppenheimer is the Albert G. Milbank Professor of Geosciences and International Affairs in the Woodrow Wilson School and the Department of Geosciences at Princeton University. He is the Director of the Program in Science, Technology and Environmental Policy (STEP) at the Woodrow Wilson School and Faculty Associate of the Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences Program, Princeton Environmental Institute, and the Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies.

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!

Edited on 17-11-2015 17:48
18-11-2015 00:46
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
trafn wrote:
Here's a great video about M2C2 (man-made climate change) with Michael Oppenheimer of Princeton University giving a guest lecture at Pace University in 2014:

Aside from the purpose of this link being a ruse to get people to your site (because apparently no one is otherwise willingly visiting), the video is the most gosh-awfully boring video imaginable. The speaker was asked to present on the hope that his credentials would somehow lend credibility to the non-factual presentation. He was not asked to speak because of any dynamic oratory skills. The video is over one hour of the same "climate change" dogma you've had pushed on you since you can remember, except Oppenheimer does incorporate a new imagery of CO2 clogging the climate "drain."

trafn wrote:Brief Bio: Michael Oppenheimer is the Albert G. Milbank Professor of Geosciences and International Affairs in the Woodrow Wilson School and the Department of Geosciences at Princeton University. He is the Director of the Program in Science, Technology and Environmental Policy (STEP) at the Woodrow Wilson School and Faculty Associate of the Atmospheric and Ocean Sciences Program, Princeton Environmental Institute, and the Princeton Institute for International and Regional Studies.

His credentials were not enough to somehow transform the material into something factual and since he didn't cover any science, it would have been more effective to have the presenter be Dora the Explorer, or maybe Barney, or any other popular character that appeals to that level.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
18-11-2015 01:31
(779)

This is the first slide from Michael Oppenheimer's guest lecture at Pace University in 2014 in which he summarizes the problem in getting world leaders to act on M2C2 (man-made climate change). I agree with him that it is difficult to get some people to understand the seriousness of this situation before it's too late.

[branner: copy from first post removed]

Edited by branner on 19-11-2015 02:26
18-11-2015 11:03
(779)

This slide from Michael Oppenheimer's guest lecture at Pace University in 2014 summarizes the problem with anthropogenic atmospheric CO2 emissions over the past 10,000 years.

This demonstrates the undeniable connection between M2C2 (man-made climate change) and GHG's in our atmosphere.

Edited by branner on 19-11-2015 02:27
18-11-2015 15:51
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:

This slide from Michael Oppenheimer's guest lecture at Pace University in 2014 summarizes the problem with anthropogenic atmospheric CO2 emissions over the past 10,000 years.

This demonstrates the undeniable connection between M2C2 (man-made climate change) and GHG's in our atmosphere.

No. It shows that CO2 has increased in the air.

That does not make a connection the warming between 1970 to 1998 or the lack of warming since.

It also seems to show a linear relationship between temperature and CO2 levels.

The consensus is a logarithmic one.

The consensus is also that the sensitivity is of the order of a maximum of 3.2 Watts per square meter per doubling.

What value does this graph use?

Are you at all bothered by a 1 or 2 Watt forcing?

Edited on 18-11-2015 15:54
18-11-2015 22:21
(779)

This slide from Michael Oppenheimer's guest lecture at Pace University in 2014 depicts the difference between atmospheric CO2 sources and atmospheric CO2 sinks, with the residual lag time for different peak atmospheric CO2 levels.

In the video, Oppenheimer discusses the long-term consequences of the source-sink disparity, and how the lag time for M2C2 (man-made climate change) and its GHG's will effect us.

Edited by branner on 19-11-2015 02:28
18-11-2015 23:54
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
trafn wrote:

A great example of the trap problem (emissions causing a rise in temperature)!

Assuming you are starting from a stable water level in the tub, and that you relabel the drain heat loss rate, and the incoming stream heat gain rate, leaving the water level representing temperature, you can build the following scenario:

If you close the drain further, even by a small amount, the water level begins to rise, assuming the incoming stream (energy source) stays the same. Due to the high resistance of the drain imposed, increased flow through the drain caused by the higher water level is insignificant. This is essentially the trapping of energy model described.

The water level (temperature) must continue to rise since the inflow is not changing until it overflows the tub completely, rots out the floor and the whole thing self destructs.

This is why you cannot 'limit the drain' through the use of carbon dioxide or any other gas. If that were possible, the tub would long ago have self destructed.

Thanks trafn, for providing such a useful model.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
19-11-2015 03:44
(14389)
trafn wrote:

This slide from Michael Oppenheimer's guest lecture at Pace University in 2014 depicts the difference between atmospheric CO2 sources and atmospheric CO2 sinks, with the residual lag time for different peak atmospheric CO2 levels.

Except that our ecosystem doesn't work this way. In the tub, the water drains out of the system, forever gone from the system. CO2 remains in the terra-system. It's not "draining out" into space or anywhere else.

Really poor analogy.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
19-11-2015 18:21
(779)

This slide from Michael Oppenheimer's guest lecture at Pace University in 2014 shows the relationship between petrochemicals and GHG's

In the video this comes from, Oppenheimer explains how this proves that our consumption of petrochemicals is the driving force behind M2C2 (man-made climate change).

To watch this video lecture and see all of Oppenheimer's slides, please see the links in the first post of this thread.

Edited on 19-11-2015 18:23
19-11-2015 21:06
(21582)
trafn wrote:

This slide from Michael Oppenheimer's guest lecture at Pace University in 2014 shows the relationship between petrochemicals and GHG's

In the video this comes from, Oppenheimer explains how this proves that our consumption of petrochemicals is the driving force behind M2C2 (man-made climate change).

What is the source for these numbers? Where are they collected from and how? Why should I consider these charts anything more than random numbers?

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
19-11-2015 21:35
(14389)
Into the Night wrote:What is the source for these numbers? Where are they collected from and how? Why should I consider these charts anything more than random numbers?

They are worse than random numbers...they are arbitrary numbers, meaning they have been fabricated to "make the case." You won't find any valid source at the other end of the figures.

I'd encourage you to watch the video but it really is mind-numbingly boring and except for the "CO2 is like water in a clogged tub" fear-mongering imagery, there isn't any material you haven't heard regurgitated a hundred times by warmizombies. I assure you, it doesn't become more appealing by hearing it from a guy who has had enough higher education that he has no excuse for saying the things he does.

Nonetheless, if that's the kind of material you can stomach, then watch the video and see for yourself; there is no validity to those numbers.

19-11-2015 22:29
(779)
@Into the Night - you wrote Why should I consider these charts anything more than random numbers?

Since you're not smart enough to watch and understand the video, you shouldn't

Edited on 19-11-2015 22:29
19-11-2015 22:53
(21582)
IBdaMann wrote:
Into the Night wrote:What is the source for these numbers? Where are they collected from and how? Why should I consider these charts anything more than random numbers?

They are worse than random numbers...they are arbitrary numbers, meaning they have been fabricated to "make the case." You won't find any valid source at the other end of the figures.

I'd encourage you to watch the video but it really is mind-numbingly boring and except for the "CO2 is like water in a clogged tub" fear-mongering imagery, there isn't any material you haven't heard regurgitated a hundred times by warmizombies. I assure you, it doesn't become more appealing by hearing it from a guy who has had enough higher education that he has no excuse for saying the things he does.

Nonetheless, if that's the kind of material you can stomach, then watch the video and see for yourself; there is no validity to those numbers.

Already watched a portion of it before I got bored. I tend to reserve such activity to keep away from mealtimes.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 19-11-2015 22:54
19-11-2015 22:55
(21582)
trafn wrote:
@Into the Night - you wrote Why should I consider these charts anything more than random numbers?

Since you're not smart enough to watch and understand the video, you shouldn't

Ok. Since you won't back up the data they are random fabricated numbers.

The Parrot Killer

19-11-2015 23:06
(779)
Into the Night wrote: Ok. Since you won't back up the data they are random fabricated numbers.

Princeton University will be thrilled to hear of your analysis!

19-11-2015 23:59
(21582)
trafn wrote:
Into the Night wrote: Ok. Since you won't back up the data they are random fabricated numbers.

Princeton University will be thrilled to hear of your analysis!

Argumentum ab auctoritate.
Let them. If they can't back up their numbers, it is the same thing.

The Parrot Killer

20-11-2015 00:05
(779)
Into the Night (a.k.a. Headum upum buttus) wrote: Argumentum ab auctoritate.

Of course, I'm sure you know better than Princeton.

20-11-2015 00:56
(21582)
trafn wrote:
Into the Night (a.k.a. Headum upum buttus) wrote: Argumentum ab auctoritate.

Of course, I'm sure you know better than Princeton.

If Princeton wants to put their name on this, you bet I do. I doubt Princeton is that stupid.

The Parrot Killer

20-11-2015 01:31
(14389)
trafn wrote:Of course, I'm sure you know better than Princeton.

So you've temporarily left speaking for the posters on this board so you can speak for Princeton.

I take it you don't understand how you don't speak for anyone besides yourself and how you undermine your entire argument.

20-11-2015 01:38
(779)
Into the Night wrote: If Princeton wants to put their name on this, you bet I do. I doubt Princeton is that stupid.

Actually, it was Pace University. Maybe you should watch the video instead of just posting the first stupid think you can think of?

video link

20-11-2015 01:41
(14389)
trafn wrote:Actually, it was Pace University.

Oooh, one of the big names.

trafn wrote: Maybe you should watch the video instead of just posting the first stupid think you can think of?

I watched the video and I didn't see any authorization for you to speak for anyone.

Join the debate Michael Oppenheimer, M2C2 Lecture, Pace Univ, 2014:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Is M2C2 a matter of the method of interpretation?223-10-2018 02:22
Hurricane Michael Is Officially More Powerful than Hurricane Katrina3115-10-2018 22:49
Climate Change Denial in the Age of Trump - Michael Mann127-05-2018 09:29
Frankenstein Meets Climate Change: Prof Michael Wysession (March 2018)319-05-2018 15:25
James Hansen's Lecture: Global Climate Change: Can the Next Generation Avert a Catastrophe?3214-12-2017 20:25
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact