Remember me
▼ Content

Koppen Flaws/Mistakes?

Koppen Flaws/Mistakes?26-02-2019 15:09
dapork
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Hey everyone, I would've posted this in a more specific category but as a new member I don't think I have those permissions.

As someone interested in climate and maps I like to study the Koppen Clasification system from time to time. If you look at maps you can see how two small greek islands (Santorini and Anafi) are listed as "hot desert" climates, at least by virtue of the fact that they're colored in bright red. You can find precipitation data for Santorini on Wikipedia, which classifies the island as semi-arid. But where is the data backing up their depiction as "hot desert" on maps? I'm just curious because they're quite out of place, being surrounded by mediterranean and, at best, semi-arid climates all around. Was this simply a mistake done by early scientists? Why hasn't it been updated? Looking at precipitation and average temperatures for those islands you can see the discrepancy.
26-02-2019 18:09
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21583)
dapork wrote:
Hey everyone, I would've posted this in a more specific category but as a new member I don't think I have those permissions.

As someone interested in climate and maps I like to study the Koppen Clasification system from time to time. If you look at maps you can see how two small greek islands (Santorini and Anafi) are listed as "hot desert" climates, at least by virtue of the fact that they're colored in bright red. You can find precipitation data for Santorini on Wikipedia, which classifies the island as semi-arid. But where is the data backing up their depiction as "hot desert" on maps? I'm just curious because they're quite out of place, being surrounded by mediterranean and, at best, semi-arid climates all around. Was this simply a mistake done by early scientists? Why hasn't it been updated? Looking at precipitation and average temperatures for those islands you can see the discrepancy.

The presence of a nearby ocean does not guarantee rain. There are such things as coastal deserts. If you look at maps of Earth, you will see a band of deserts all running around the Earth at the same general latitude. These islands are in that latitude. Look up information on Hadley cells.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
27-02-2019 12:30
dapork
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
Hey thanks for the reply. I was unaware of the Hadley cells and I'm looking into that. Those islands are still seem to be on the northernmost point of the latitude affected by those circulations. The only other places so far north are in Spain and the Nevada/California, and it would seem those places also have more substantiated evidence. I was just wondering if the evidence/data that went into creating those Koppen maps can be found anywhere online, cause the climatic data for those islands still don't suggest a real hot desert climate.
27-02-2019 20:43
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21583)
dapork wrote:
Hey thanks for the reply. I was unaware of the Hadley cells and I'm looking into that.
Great! This is how you learn.
dapork wrote:
Those islands are still seem to be on the northernmost point of the latitude affected by those circulations. The only other places so far north are in Spain and the Nevada/California, and it would seem those places also have more substantiated evidence. I was just wondering if the evidence/data that went into creating those Koppen maps can be found anywhere online, cause the climatic data for those islands still don't suggest a real hot desert climate.

Deserts are not necessarily hot. They are just dry. That's what makes them deserts. The driest desert in the world is actually in Antarctica, and is very cold. It is called the Dry Valleys. It is created by the predominant high pressure that normally exists for the poles (again, Hadley cell stuff).

As far as the Greek islands are concerned, they happen to be in the Mediterranean Sea, a rather warm body of water. So while these islands are in a desert band, they still benefit from the warm Sea around them for temperature. They are not hot deserts, but they are not much different in temperature as the other islands in the Greek isles.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 27-02-2019 20:44

Join the debate Koppen Flaws/Mistakes?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Basic Mistakes in Math, Just an FYI, 2 x 2 ≠ 4.027-01-2024 19:01
Mistakes1912-06-2023 03:52
mistakes424-02-2022 20:36
The Big Flaws, Loophole, The End Of The Current Digital Cryptocurrency System 1.0 Is Here213-11-2021 07:58
What The US Military, Leaders Need To Do Now Is Fix Their Mistakes & Save Their Nation026-07-2021 20:14
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact