Remember me
▼ Content

Key threats of climate change.

Page 1 of 212>
Key threats of climate change.16-10-2015 18:54
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
This is a question to those who see an increase in CO2 as a significant threat to humanity;

What is it about this that you think will cause trouble?

The reason I ask is that most of the discussion about it all starts with the whole is it real or not and the technicalities of IR absorption and re-emission.

I don't have the physics for that. I am just a spectator in all that. My experteese is limited to understanding how much ice has to melt to achieve a particular sea level ris. To understanding, in a simplistic way, what x amount of heat energy will do to the temperature of the whole world ocean to y depth etc. High school stuff.

That and knowing how tricky it is not to build a 3 foot high concrete wall.
16-10-2015 19:15
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14373)
Tim the plumber wrote:
This is a question to those who see an increase in CO2 as a significant threat to humanity;

Oh, well then I don't get to anser.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
16-10-2015 19:22
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
Hi Tim the plumber,

Glad you've joined us. It is indeed a very confusing and complicated subject as climate change science is a relatively new field of study, and there are still many people on both sides of that 3 foot high concrete wall.

The general numbers I see most often are that if Greenland's ice completely melts, there will be a 20 foot rise in sea level, if Antarctica's ice completely melts there will be 200 foot rise in sea level, and if both completely melt there will be 220 foot rise in sea level.

The calculations on how much energy (solar radiation) is needed to do that are not that complex to do, from a science point of view, but more than that, it has to do with efficiency factors (example: once the energy radiated from the sun gets here, how much of that energy actually goes into melting any ice?). Most people estimate it will be a century or more before there is significant melting, but I think factors which we don't yet understand will come into play and speed up the process.

Again, glad you're here, and keep asking and keep learning.

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!
16-10-2015 20:11
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
1; Do you think that it is at all responsible to talk about things that are not at all predicted by any science?

2; Do you know of any actual science which predicts that there is any threat to all of Greenland's ice from any human induced warming?

3; Since there is no science which predicts 2, why do you talk about there being any posibility what so ever of Antarctica melting?

4; The radiation absorbed by the ocean will not be altered significantly at all by CO2 levels. It's the loss of heat from it from evaporation which may change due to chaned air temperatures. The degree of thermal expansion from a 1 degree c today rise in temperature over a century is 14cm. I will try to dig out the paper if you need me to. So there is nothing to worry about there unless you hink that a 20cm rise is trouble that humanity cannot cope with this century.

5; Do you deny the IPCC's numbers? They are (and in my view highly inflated) for a maximum of a 1m rise by 2100.
16-10-2015 20:37
climate scientist
★★☆☆☆
(257)
Hi Tim the plumber

Have you seen this?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/26/us-environment-sealevel-nasa-idUSKCN0QV2B020150826
16-10-2015 22:42
(779)
@IBdaMann - I think the door has just been opened for you to give an answer now (do enjoy).

@Tim the Plumber - well, it sounds like your mind is made up. Tim, if someone tells you there's a hurricane coming, but it's still sunny outside, do you prepare ahead of time or not?

You may also want to realize that there are many forms of science that weigh in on this issue, so, since no one has ever witnessed anything like this before, you might want to think outside the box a bit?

Also, since you seem so convinced that there is no science supporting M2C2 (man-made climate change), how about citing some "real science" that proves it can't happen.

Edited on 16-10-2015 23:33
17-10-2015 05:42
(14373)
climate scientist wrote:
Have you seen this?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/26/us-environment-sealevel-nasa-idUSKCN0QV2B020150826

I realize that since there is no science, Reuters is the most authoritative source you could find.

Ocean levels have not budged in over sixty years as far as anyone can tell. Can anyone say "British air base built in the Maldives in 1951"?

NASA doesn't study the ocean. Space is their thing. NASA is a political organization within the US Federal Government, currently controlled by the agenda of the Obama Administration.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
17-10-2015 05:53
(779)
Ahhhh! - does it always have to be about one extreme point of view or the other!

Remember, the truth is always somewhere in the middle:

17-10-2015 06:20
(14373)
trafn wrote:
Ahhhh! - does it always have to be about one extreme point of view or the other!

Bonus point!

But the truth can easily reside on one side, like if that's where I happen to be.

17-10-2015 12:34
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@IBdaMann - I think the door has just been opened for you to give an answer now (do enjoy).

@Tim the Plumber - well, it sounds like your mind is made up. Tim, if someone tells you there's a hurricane coming, but it's still sunny outside, do you prepare ahead of time or not?

You may also want to realize that there are many forms of science that weigh in on this issue, so, since no one has ever witnessed anything like this before, you might want to think outside the box a bit?

Also, since you seem so convinced that there is no science supporting M2C2 (man-made climate change), how about citing some "real science" that proves it can't happen.

Please do not put words into my mouth.

I do not at all deny any science. I do not argue with the numbers in the IPCC's reports, at least for the purposes of this thread.

Can you post any science what so ever that supports the position that the IPCC has underestimated the problem?
17-10-2015 12:36
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
climate scientist wrote:
Hi Tim the plumber

Have you seen this?

I need to have something which tells me what a thing is about before I look at it, some quote or something. There is far too much drivel out there otherwise.
17-10-2015 12:38
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:

Is the earth a sphere or is it flat?

There is no room for a middle ground.

The issue of global warming requires massive atlerations in the ecconomy of the world or it does not.

If it does then perhaps the billion or more deaths will be worth it.
17-10-2015 17:30
(779)
@Tim the Plumber:

1. I would never put words in your mouth. You're doing just fine at that all by yourself.

2. The IPCC is old news. Get over it. If you want to be like that, then we might as well just all wank off over the pro's and con's of the Wankel engine .

3. If you think there's so much drivel out there, why are you asking us to figure it out for you. I'm not the one sitting there with the big duh! expression on his face. Stop being so lazy and do your own damn dirty-drivel work and sort it out for yourself (and please do report back to us immediately if you do find anything that's in the least bit interesting).

4. I guess you missed the most recent news updates: the Earth really is flat after all. This is actually good news, as this will save from any M2C2 induced rise in sea levels (the extra water will just run off the sides).

[Author's Note: you know IBdaMann, I really do miss my pretty little Snowflake Earthling and Saint arthur18, but it looks like Tim the Plumber is going to work out just fine.]

17-10-2015 19:31
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@Tim the Plumber:

1. I would never put words in your mouth. You're doing just fine at that all by yourself.

2. The IPCC is old news. Get over it. If you want to be like that, then we might as well just all wank off over the pro's and con's of the Wankel engine .

3. If you think there's so much drivel out there, why are you asking us to figure it out for you. I'm not the one sitting there with the big duh! expression on his face. Stop being so lazy and do your own damn dirty-drivel work and sort it out for yourself (and please do report back to us immediately if you do find anything that's in the least bit interesting).

4. I guess you missed the most recent news updates: the Earth really is flat after all. This is actually good news, as this will save from any M2C2 induced rise in sea levels (the extra water will just run off the sides).

[Author's Note: you know IBdaMann, I really do miss my pretty little Snowflake Earthling and Saint arthur18, but it looks like Tim the Plumber is going to work out just fine.]

I fully understand that you wish to deny any science or scientific process.

I fully understand that any discussion of "show me the science that supports your claim" is answered with "show me the science that proves it is impossible".

I fully understand these things because I also debate with religious types who use exactly the same reasoning to avoid thinking about their silly beliefs.

It is you who has made the claim that the Greenland ice sheet and Antarctic ice sheets are in danger of melting from the predicted increase in global temperatures. It is for you to substanciate this with some science.

I am quite capable of doing the basic maths involved in understanding how much energy would be needed to achieve this. You do however need to show how such a thing could happen. You have to present the case for me to examine.

Demanding I prove a negative is hardly scientific.

Edited on 17-10-2015 19:32
17-10-2015 20:03
(779)
@Tim the Plumber - oh please! Must I really waste me time giving you a mathematical equation for this (if so, meet me on the aft deck in half an hour):

PS - wow, imagine that! A plumber who claims he can actually do math. Why can't I hire one of those once in a while?
Edited on 17-10-2015 20:05
17-10-2015 23:07
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@Tim the Plumber - oh please! Must I really waste me time giving you a mathematical equation for this (if so, meet me on the aft deck in half an hour):

PS - wow, imagine that! A plumber who claims he can actually do math. Why can't I hire one of those once in a while?

Support you clim or acknowledge it was unfounded.

This is a call to honesty.
17-10-2015 23:37
(779)
@Tim the Plumber - you stated, Support you clim or....

Clim?
Chin?
dim?

Sounds like?

PS - the only thing that's not founded here is your ability to find a dictionary!

Edited on 17-10-2015 23:38
18-10-2015 00:21
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:

Clim?
Chin?
dim?

Sounds like?

PS - the only thing that's not founded here is your ability to find a dictionary!

Really have ran away from any science stuff at all there!

I understand that this challenges your ideas but unlucky this global warming thing is not going to supply you with a new religion.

Support your claim.
Edited on 18-10-2015 00:21
18-10-2015 02:26
(14373)
trafn wrote:

Clim?
Chin?
dim?

Sounds like?

I'm going to ask you really nicely, as in please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please,...

to never do this again. This is what Earthling does. It's all Earthling can do. He knows nothing else. He interrupts conversations he doesn't understand just to mock someone over a typo. He created an entire thread on Topix to mock Fair Game for thinking that "forty" was spelled "fourty" and he just wouldn't let it go.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warming/TBNIRMQLEKUHMLQ1L

Earthling uses this as an EVASION technique whenever he is cornered, i.e. he quibbles about a typo in a previous post. You are so far above that level, I implore you to not follow the balrog to those depths.

18-10-2015 02:43
(779)
@IBdaMann - okay, my bad. But even after the Titanic he didn't get it!

@Tim the Plumber - dear, dear, dear, Tim the Plumber. I'm sorry to disappoint but I've already been here and done that. This is soooo old school for me. Why not move onto something much more interesting like nithane.

18-10-2015 08:16
Ceist
★★★☆☆
(592)
Tim the plumber wrote:
trafn wrote:

Is the earth a sphere or is it flat?

There is no room for a middle ground.

Technically, the earth is an imperfect oblate spheroid. But I'm just being pedantic

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-is-not-round/

Edited on 18-10-2015 08:30
18-10-2015 12:08
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@IBdaMann - okay, my bad. But even after the Titanic he didn't get it!

@Tim the Plumber - dear, dear, dear, Tim the Plumber. I'm sorry to disappoint but I've already been here and done that. This is soooo old school for me. Why not move onto something much more interesting like nithane.

Then you can manage to support your claim that there is any chance of all of Greenland's ice or Antarctica's ice melting due to human activity.

It should be so easy if you have already done so.

Of course if you just ran away from it then you would have done the same as here.
18-10-2015 18:39
(779)
@Tim the Plumber - yes dearest Tim, I have already done that in the thread about nithane.

In addition, I recently posted my assessment of your pedantic word games here.

Edited on 18-10-2015 18:39
18-10-2015 18:45
(14373)
trafn wrote: @IBdaMann - okay, my bad. But even after the Titanic he didn't get it!

I'm just trying to help you keep from unwittingly falling into the trap of becoming Earthling #2, for everyone's sake. On Topix he goes by Earthling-1 and periodically when someone behaves like him people use wording to the effect of "you're becoming minus two"

I know you would have trouble living with yourself if you thought you were receiving a ring of power but were actually fading into the shadow.

18-10-2015 18:54
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@Tim the Plumber - yes dearest Tim, I have already done that in the thread about nithane.

So you are so confident of your position, you think it is so persuasive, that you just don't want to repeat it.

Or you know you have no evidence or science or anything else to back up you claim that the earth is at all in any danger of becoming Venus II.

Post some support for your position or appologies for your attitude on this thread.
18-10-2015 19:10
(14373)
Tim the plumber wrote:Post some support for your position or appologies for your attitude on this thread.

Demands of that nature will go unheeded. If scientific support is what you seek, that will not be forthcoming. If all you want are links to websites that repeat the exact same thing then just say so and you'll be handed plenty.

Apologies, however, ...well, let me recommend that you not hold your breath until you get one.

18-10-2015 19:27
(779)
@IBdaMann - too true, too true.

On the other hand, you must admit that it is quite stress relieving to have someone to play the stupid cards with every now and again.

Anyone seen Saint arthur18 lately?
19-10-2015 10:35
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@IBdaMann - too true, too true.

On the other hand, you must admit that it is quite stress relieving to have someone to play the stupid cards with every now and again.

Anyone seen Saint arthur18 lately?

Yes, but your play of abject ignorance is very boring.

I does however allow me to point out your lack of any understanding or honesty.

It does allow me to show that your pet theories are drivel.

It does allow me to show that there is nothing to fear from global warming except the fools who have it as their religion.
19-10-2015 11:11
(779)
@Tim the Dumber - boring? Boring? BORING?

Now that's a big word for a plumber.

Edited on 19-10-2015 11:12
19-10-2015 11:40
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@Tim the Dumber - boring? Boring? BORING?

Now that's a big word for a plumber.

Did you ever do any science?
19-10-2015 13:11
(14373)
Tim the plumber wrote:]Did you ever do any science?

On this site, the only science you will find runs against the Global Warming dogma. You will find plenty of religious dogma billed as science.

Once you have quashed all of your own personal expectations of actual science, you will be prepared to open discussions with Climate Scientist, drm and Creist, and to appreciate their devotion to a shared faith in "The Science."

19-10-2015 15:42
(779)
@Tim the Dumber - but of course I do, dearest. In fact, it was through an exhaustive scientific process by which I logically chose your new monicker.

You see, dear Tim, I am in fact quite incorrect in addressing you as Tim the Dumber, for in doing so I am implying that you are dumb, a condition of which we know you do not suffer as being dumb means you lack all knowledge. You, my Timothy, are quite obviously a person of considerable knowledge, which means that you are stupid: behaving in a manner suggesting the lack of all knowledge.

Unfortunately, while the correct appellation for you would be Timothy the Stupider, this phrase fails to rhyme with your chosen title. Thus, I have employed Timothy the Dumber merely for the entertainment value it provides, as everyone knows that the only thing one could hope to gain from any conversation with you is some simple entertainment.

19-10-2015 15:55
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@Tim the Dumber - but of course I do, dearest. In fact, it was through an exhaustive scientific process by which I logically chose your new monicker.

You see, dear Tim, I am in fact quite incorrect in addressing you as Tim the Dumber, for in doing so I am implying that you are dumb, a condition of which we know you do not suffer as being dumb means you lack all knowledge. You, my Timothy, are quite obviously a person of considerable knowledge, which means that you are stupid: behaving in a manner suggesting the lack of all knowledge.

Unfortunately, while the correct appellation for you would be Timothy the Stupider, this phrase fails to rhyme with your chosen title. Thus, I have employed Timothy the Dumber merely for the entertainment value it provides, as everyone knows that the only thing one could hope to gain from any conversation with you is some simple entertainment.

It is very clear that you are unable to cope with any sort of scientific discussion.

That is why all you can do is name calling.

I take it you were disappointed when the peak oil thing went away.

You will be similarly disappointed when all this GW drivel cools down.

It will only take 3 years of cooler world weather and it evaporates.
19-10-2015 16:00
(14373)
Tim the plumber wrote:
That is why all you can do is name calling.

I take it you were disappointed when the peak oil thing went away.

You will be similarly disappointed when all this GW drivel cools down.

It will only take 3 years of cooler world weather and it evaporates. [/color]

Here's the rub. You are clearly not a Marxist. You aren't going to see eye-to-eye with certain members on this site until you adjust your politics.

19-10-2015 16:20
(779)
@TtD - yes Timothy, that's you I'm addressing. But even I tire of seeing your name here, so I've shorten it to better reflect your brain capacity.

@IBdaMann - did you by any chance bring him over here from topix? If so, is there any chance you might put him back?

19-10-2015 17:55
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
trafn wrote:
@TtD - yes Timothy, that's you I'm addressing. But even I tire of seeing your name here, so I've shorten it to better reflect your brain capacity.

@IBdaMann - did you by any chance bring him over here from topix? If so, is there any chance you might put him back?

I realize that the constant demand for evidence of some sort and the pointing out of scientific illiteracy is annoying for you but then if you are just going to hurl insults and be Trollish then what do you expect from me? Mercy?

So do continue to show the maturity of your character it is highly amusing.
19-10-2015 20:21
(14373)
Tim the plumber wrote:
[color=blue]I realize that the constant demand for evidence of some sort

As you might have noticed, various people on this site are scientifically illiterate and demand "supporting evidence" because they believe that makes science, and they demand links because they believe that someone else saying the same thing makes science, because they also believe that a subjective "consensus" makes science.

19-10-2015 23:44
(779)
@Tim the plumber - ask a serious question that's not redundant or time-worn, and you'll get a serious answer.

20-10-2015 04:06
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
IBdaMann wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:
[color=blue]I realize that the constant demand for evidence of some sort

As you might have noticed, various people on this site are scientifically illiterate and demand "supporting evidence" because they believe that makes science, and they demand links because they believe that someone else saying the same thing makes science, because they also believe that a subjective "consensus" makes science.

Yet another reason I created the Data Mine thread and it's rules. To limit claims that have little or no merit.
Edited on 20-10-2015 04:07
20-10-2015 04:32
(779)
@Into the Night - but data is not everything:

Is M2C2 a matter of the method of interpretation?

Page 1 of 212>

Join the debate Key threats of climate change.:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
threats1206-11-2023 03:50
The New International Personal Passport Will Be The Key For Society Evolution012-08-2022 09:51
Key Solution For The Global Currency Reset Must Be 2 New Separate Money Note Types: Domestic In-Nation &a105-10-2020 07:35
Why is CO2 the key to our survival?1327-09-2020 17:27
What are the key challenges in lowering CO2 emissions?1603-01-2020 21:02
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact