Remember me
▼ Content

Is This Helping To Increase The Severity of Fires In California ?

Is This Helping To Increase The Severity of Fires In California ?16-12-2017 20:51
James_
★★★★★
(2237)
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/06/california-sinking-drought-ground-water/ This allows for rain run off to be greater while possibly causing what water is absorbed into the ground to have less of an effect in rehydrating dry earth as the years go by.
This is one reason why I think the U.S. needs to be a little more interested in desalination as farmers have found they can dig even deeper wells [url]https://weather.com/science/environment/news/california-aquifers-discovered [/url].
17-12-2017 20:34
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
Manufactured data. The reason California roads are so atrocious is because the government isn't maintaining them properly. The reason the bridge mentioned is sinking is because it is built on sand.

Perhaps it is time for farmers to realize how little water there is in the desert. Growing rice and almonds, which require a lot of water, doesn't make much sense. They won't do it until the cost of that water rises too high to make it worthwhile.
18-12-2017 20:39
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Manufactured data. The reason California roads are so atrocious is because the government isn't maintaining them properly. The reason the bridge mentioned is sinking is because it is built on sand.

Perhaps it is time for farmers to realize how little water there is in the desert. Growing rice and almonds, which require a lot of water, doesn't make much sense. They won't do it until the cost of that water rises too high to make it worthwhile.

There's no almonds and rice growing in the desert. They grow in the Central Valley where there is so much water that they allow most of it to flow out into the ocean through the Delta from the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers.
18-12-2017 22:28
(21597)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

There's no almonds and rice growing in the desert.

Yes there is.
Wake wrote:
They grow in the Central Valley where there is so much water that they allow most of it to flow out into the ocean through the Delta from the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers.

Yes, they also grow it there.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
19-12-2017 01:22
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Yes there is.
Wake wrote:
They grow in the Central Valley where there is so much water that they allow most of it to flow out into the ocean through the Delta from the Sacramento and San Joaquin rivers.

As usual you're full of crap. California often is referred to as a state in which they make the deserts bloom. The Central and Imperial valleys are NOT deserts. And as I said - the majority of water in California ends up flowing out the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers and into the sea.

Show me references to a "desert" where they grow rice. Most of the water that rice uses is groundwater which means a high water table and not flooded fields like they do in China.

You are an incredible ass - I come from a family of farmers and you're telling me about farming?
19-12-2017 01:28
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
I'm not sure picking cotton qualifies.
19-12-2017 02:31
(21597)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Yes there is.
Wake wrote:

The presence of a river does not override the existence of a desert.

...deleted Mantra 1...California often is referred to as a state in which they make the deserts bloom.[/quote]
True...and with good reason.
Wake wrote:
The Central and Imperial valleys are NOT deserts.

Yes, they are.
Wake wrote:
And as I said - the majority of water in California ends up flowing out the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers and into the sea.

Makes no difference.
Wake wrote:
Show me references to a "desert" where they grow rice.

All up and down California, especially from the Sacramento area southwards.
Wake wrote:
Most of the water that rice uses is groundwater which means a high water table and not flooded fields like they do in China.

WRONG. They flood the fields. They have to. Rice is an aquatic plant.
Wake wrote:
You are an incredible ass - I come from a family of farmers and you're telling me about farming?

You going to claim that too?

I think you're lying again.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
19-12-2017 03:10
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Yes there is.
Wake wrote:

The presence of a river does not override the existence of a desert.

...deleted Mantra 1...California often is referred to as a state in which they make the deserts bloom.

True...and with good reason.
Wake wrote:
The Central and Imperial valleys are NOT deserts.

Yes, they are.
Wake wrote:
And as I said - the majority of water in California ends up flowing out the Sacramento and San Joaquin Rivers and into the sea.

Makes no difference.
Wake wrote:
Show me references to a "desert" where they grow rice.

All up and down California, especially from the Sacramento area southwards.
Wake wrote:
Most of the water that rice uses is groundwater which means a high water table and not flooded fields like they do in China.

WRONG. They flood the fields. They have to. Rice is an aquatic plant.
Wake wrote:

You going to claim that too?

I think you're lying again.[/quote]

Well know we know that the most productive farm land in the entire world in your lingo is a desert.

"The plant has many different variations, but is generally a short living plant, with an average life span of 3-7 months, depending on the climate and the variety. It is not a water plant but substantial amounts of water are required for the planting. Cultivated species of rice are considered to be semi-aquatic annuals. The height of the plant can range from 0.4m to over 5m in some floating rices."

The cultivated species they are talking about is Chinese rice and not those generally planted by Americans.

"makes no difference" that what you're calling a desert has more water per square acre than any other state in the union?

You continue to make the most bizarre statements I've ever seen.

Really, I'll fly up to Seattle and you can meet me. I really have GOT to take a picture of what sort of creature could make your comments.
19-12-2017 22:43
(21597)
Wake wrote:
Well know we know that the most productive farm land in the entire world in your lingo is a desert.

It is not the most productive farm land in the entire world.
Wake wrote:
...deleted Holy Quote of unrelated material...
The cultivated species they are talking about is Chinese rice and not those generally planted by Americans.

They are planting aquatic rice.
Wake wrote:
"makes no difference" that what you're calling a desert has more water per square acre than any other state in the union?...deleted Mantra 13...14...

It doesn't.

The Parrot Killer

22-12-2017 20:12
James_
★★★★★
(2237)
This is now becoming more common because the ground water in the Valley of the Sun was depleted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4Cx44XKZ4
Who knows, NAPA valley migtht become arid if desalination isn't pursued so the aquifers in California can be replenished. And the dust storm in the video is one example of climate change. While Phoenix is considered to be in a desert dust storms were rare if they ever happened.
They say it was a 100 year event. Now to see if they become more common. [url]https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/very-large-and-historic-dust-s-

1/52066[/url]
22-12-2017 20:57
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
James_ wrote:
This is now becoming more common because the ground water in the Valley of the Sun was depleted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4Cx44XKZ4
Who knows, NAPA valley migtht become arid if desalination isn't pursued so the aquifers in California can be replenished. And the dust storm in the video is one example of climate change. While Phoenix is considered to be in a desert dust storms were rare if they ever happened.
They say it was a 100 year event. Now to see if they become more common. [url]https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/very-large-and-historic-dust-s-

1/52066[/url]

James, the history of the US and California plainly shows droughts followed by heavy rains and immense snow coverage in the Sierra Nevadas. We had skiing STILL on the 4th of July this year. Whether the rains are that heavy this year remains to be seen. We are slightly behind so far this year but the real rains don't usually come until January and February.

The Dust Bowl wasn't CAUSED by bad farming techniques but by drought and heat. It rained again and the water table recovered after several years.

The Napa water tables were never in danger because there are many lakes 800 or so feet above Calistoga etc.

When conditions are normal and people are screaming that we are seeing extremes that should give you a strong clue about what social media is worth.
22-12-2017 22:24
(21597)
Wake wrote:
James_ wrote:

1/52066[/url]

James, the history of the US and California plainly shows droughts followed by heavy rains and immense snow coverage in the Sierra Nevadas.

Well...for California anyway.
Wake wrote:
We had skiing STILL on the 4th of July this year.

You certainly had a good rain and snow fall last winter and spring.
Wake wrote:
Whether the rains are that heavy this year remains to be seen.

Rain or snow, it's just the same in the end.
Wake wrote:
We are slightly behind so far this year but the real rains don't usually come until January and February.

Watch 'em blame THAT on an environmental 'catastrophe'.

Wake wrote:
The Dust Bowl wasn't CAUSED by bad farming techniques but by drought and heat.
[quote]Wake wrote:
It rained again and the water table recovered after several years.
[quote]Wake wrote:
The Napa water tables were never in danger because there are many lakes 800 or so feet above Calistoga etc.
[quote]Wake wrote:
When conditions are normal and people are screaming that we are seeing extremes that should give you a strong clue about what social media is worth.

The Parrot Killer

23-12-2017 23:45
James_
★★★★★
(2237)
Wake wrote:
James_ wrote:

1/52066[/url]

James, the history of the US and California plainly shows droughts followed by heavy rains and immense snow coverage in the Sierra Nevadas. We had skiing STILL on the 4th of July this year. Whether the rains are that heavy this year remains to be seen. We are slightly behind so far this year but the real rains don't usually come until January and February.

The Dust Bowl wasn't CAUSED by bad farming techniques but by drought and heat. It rained again and the water table recovered after several years.

Wake,
The Dust Bowl was an accident waiting to happen. That region receives minimal rainfall to begin with. When crop prices fell farmers planted more crops. The prairie grass that helped to keep moisture in the ground was plowed under. At that time they weren't aware of the aquifer under it. And now that aquifer is being depleted.
With California and Arizona, less ground water can cause soil quality to degrade. Historically speaking there are regions that had aquifers but became depleted and the region became arid.
At present both Arizona around Phx. and NAPA Valley among other areas of Ca. are sinking because of ground water depletion. To have sustainable agricultural production we should stay in the + when it comes to fresh water resources.
This means that we should use less water than what rainfall allows for. This means using desalination and various water recovery methods.

p.s., Hope you are enjoying the Holidays

Join the debate Is This Helping To Increase The Severity of Fires In California ?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
California Reservoirs Are Filled!!711-04-2024 23:19
Illegal Chinese-linked biolab filled with mice, medical waste discovered in California002-08-2023 01:57
LOL, California has way way way too much water at this point1702-05-2023 20:59
Suddenly, California Has Too Much Water, with more on the way.029-04-2023 13:56
Limited Time Special Book: How To Increase Longevity, Live To 600+ Year More904-04-2023 13:49
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact