Remember me
▼ Content

Is the CO2 increase natural or man-made?

Page 2 of 2<12
06-09-2018 20:07
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
James___ wrote:
One Punch Man wrote:
James___ wrote:When atmospheric co2 increases then the amount of co2 in our oceans decreases. This shows in the sediments because I think the shells (calcium) of animals with shells absorbs co2 which is where the deposits come from.

Not sure where you got that idea from. When atmospheric CO2 increases then the amount of CO2 in the oceans should increase. Henry's law governs the solubility of gases in water and determines a specific fixed 'partitioning ratio' between the amount of CO2 residing in the atmosphere and the amount that will be dissolved in the oceans at a given temperature at equilibrium. At the current mean ocean temperature of 15C (at the surface), that partitioning ratio comes out to be 1:50. This is why there exists around 50 times as much CO2 as DIC in the oceans than the atmosphere. This fixed partitioning ratio implies that for every tonne of CO2 that is released into the atmosphere only about 0.02 tonnes will remain there and the rest (about 0.98 tonnes) will be absorbed into the oceans. The 1:50 partitioning ratio for CO2 between the atmosphere and oceans at the Earth's average surface temperature means that 98% of anthropogenic CO2 should be absorbed by the oceans and only 2% should remain as a permanent addition to the atmospheric CO2 greenhouse upon equilibrium.

..It's well known that when the oceans warm that they release CO2 and when they cool they absorb it.
...deleted Holy Link...

It is not possible to measure the temperature of the oceans. However, you are correct in that if ocean (or any other water) warms, CO2 will tend to shift more towards the atmosphere. The same thing happens if water freezes.
James___ wrote:
...What I wonder is if they mean that the warmer the oceans are that the ability for them to absorb atmospheric CO2 decreases.

While it does, it is not possible to measure the temperature of the ocean water or the global concentration of atmospheric CO2. CO2 is incapable of warming the planet. The total effect is nil.
James___ wrote:
We are elevating atmospheric levels and if we weren't what would the oceans be doing?

The same thing.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Page 2 of 2<12

Join the debate Is the CO2 increase natural or man-made?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Burn Gasoline and Natural Gas To Fight Against Climate Change2504-01-2024 06:33
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Pro-Palestinian protester arrested in death of Jewish man Paul Kessler. Told you so.016-11-2023 21:56
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
Limited Time Special Book: How To Increase Longevity, Live To 600+ Year More904-04-2023 13:49
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact