Remember me
▼ Content

Is M2C2 a matter of the method of interpretation?

Is M2C2 a matter of the method of interpretation?20-10-2015 02:03
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
Since I've been commenting here about M2C2 (man-made climate change), I've noticed several different ways of organizing the individuals who post here, the most obvious being, of course, to divide them into M2C2 believers and M2C2 deniers. Yet, while this is perhaps the most common way we view each other within the M2C2 arena, there are other spectrums to consider, and the one I've found most interesting is that of perspective.

Just like there are multiple ways to view a diamond through its many facets, there are many ways to look at a particular situation or event such as M2C2. With regards to perspectives, two which are commonly used on this website are the scientific view and the societal view. The scientific view restricts itself to scientific processes such as data collection and falsifiable models, while the societal views expounds upon the implications of data from both science and other intellectual resources such as logical implications. Predictably, these two perspectives commonly butt heads, with the former being accused of taking a narrow, limited perspective (i.e. - science only), while the latter is blamed for stretching the conversation beyond the limited resources science has to offer. In the end, while both perspectives have considerable contributions to bring to the M2C2 table, sadly, they tend to spend a lot of their time together bickering over what they find lacking in each other.

Luckily, in addition to the scientific and societal viewpoints, there's another perspective from which to analyze and discuss M2C2: the process perspective. If a good metaphor for the scientific view were some higher form of mathematics like calculus, or a precision tool like the electron microscope, then correspondingly good metaphors for the process perspective would be Gantt charts or PERT charts. In other words, while science is keen on measurements and mathematics (worthy goals, indeed), process is more about the direction and flow of a particular event. While each of these perspectives have their strengths and weaknesses, they, like the societal view, make their mark by adding additional facets to the possible viewpoints from which one can study and learn about M2C2.

Ultimately, the question arises as to which of these perspectives is best when tackling M2C2, and the simple answer is none singularly, as limiting the conversation to either just numbers, or just people, or just processes ends up in producing a limited conversation. In contrast, when we broaden the conversation to include the numbers, and the people, and the processes, we avail ourselves to a fuller and more thought-full perspective.

Comments?

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!

Edited on 20-10-2015 02:05
22-10-2015 03:19
trafnProfile picture★★★☆☆
(779)
@climate scientist, Ceist and Tototo only - given the many ways to look at any problem, considering we're at the early stages in the development of the field of climate change science, what are some of the ways to view M2C2 through climate change science, including the pros and cons of each?

The 2015 M2C2 (Global 9/11) Denialist Troll Awards

1st Place - Jep Branner - Our Stupid Administrator!
2nd Place - IBdaMann - Science IS cherry picking!
3rd Place - Into the Night - Mr. Nonsense numbers!
4th Place - Tim the plumber - The Drivel Queen!
23-10-2018 02:22
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
trafn wrote:
@climate scientist, Ceist and Tototo only - given the many ways to look at any problem, considering we're at the early stages in the development of the field of climate change science, what are some of the ways to view M2C2 through climate change science, including the pros and cons of each?

Since there is no problem there is no need for you to worry your pretty little head off.

Join the debate Is M2C2 a matter of the method of interpretation?:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Send Me Any Amount Of Donation So I Can Try Lottery Luck Method On My Own015-07-2023 19:07
All Sides, Beings, Entities No Matter "Evil" Or "Good" Are Receiving Their Final Chan014-07-2023 07:52
The Fastest Method To Eliminate The Corona Virus COVID Is Crying Screaming Out Loud906-05-2022 02:20
Scientific method in medicine820-02-2022 22:09
Corona Virus NCOV COVID Is Each Individual Problem, You Cannot Kill It With Collective Method002-08-2021 08:41
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact