Remember me
▼ Content

IR Spectra of Water Vapor and Carbon Dioxide

IR Spectra of Water Vapor and Carbon Dioxide10-08-2017 02:09
StarMan
★☆☆☆☆
(88)
Not ONLY does water vapor, and of course water, absorb far more heat over a much larger bandwidth than carbon dioxide does, but also water vapor is THE DOMINANT greenhouse gas, at 15,000 parts per million versus ~400 parts per million for CO2. Al Gorians are encouraged to divide 15,000 by 400.

Ignore List: Surface Detail, litesong, spot, Into The Night
10-08-2017 02:54
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
StarMan wrote:
Not ONLY does water vapor, and of course water, absorb far more heat over a much larger bandwidth than carbon dioxide does, but also water vapor is THE DOMINANT greenhouse gas, at 15,000 parts per million versus ~400 parts per million for CO2. Al Gorians are encouraged to divide 15,000 by 400.

I believe you mean absorbing light, not heat. Heat has no bandwidth.

Water vapor is not a greenhouse gas. Nothing is. Water vapor is not able to warm the planet either. It can't.

The only thing that can warm the planet is to increase the energy at it's source: the Sun.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
10-08-2017 03:01
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
This is really basis stuff, StarMan. Why not educate yourself on the basics before opening your mouth? Then you wouldn't look so stupid.

Climate myths: CO2 isn't the most important greenhouse gas

"Water is a major greenhouse gas too, but its level in the atmosphere depends on temperature. Excess water vapour rains out in days. Excess CO2 accumulates, warming the atmosphere, which raises water vapour levels and causes further warming."
10-08-2017 03:05
(21559)
Surface Detail wrote:
This is really basis stuff, StarMan. Why not educate yourself on the basics before opening your mouth? Then you wouldn't look so stupid.

...deleted Holy Link and Quote...

Neither water vapor nor liquid water is a greenhouse gas. Neither can warm the planet.

Attempting to warm the surface using cooler substance like atmospheric water vapor violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics. You can't heat a warmer surface using a colder substance. You are yet again trying to make hot coffee with ice.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 10-08-2017 03:06
10-08-2017 03:13
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:

Neither water vapor nor liquid water is a greenhouse gas. Neither can warm the planet.

Attempting to warm the surface using cooler substance like atmospheric water vapor violates the 2nd law of thermodynamics. You can't heat a warmer surface using a colder substance. You are yet again trying to make hot coffee with ice.

Do stop being a moron, ITN. Any change to the resistance to heat flow through a system that is not in thermal equilibrium will cause temperature changes within that system. It's not rocket science.
10-08-2017 03:17
(21559)
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:

Do stop being a moron, ITN. Any change to the resistance to heat flow through a system that is not in thermal equilibrium will cause temperature changes within that system. It's not rocket science.

Apparently it is rocket science to you (not to guys that shoot rockets).

Change in coupling does not change average temperatures in a system, regardless of whether that system is in thermal equilibrium or not.

Are you attempting the Magick Blanket argument again?

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 10-08-2017 03:18
10-08-2017 05:57
StarMan
★☆☆☆☆
(88)
Spectra of water vapor and carbon dioxide, showing water vapor has a broader spectrum and easily achieves 100% absorption after which any more concentration is immaterial. After all of the relevant energy has been absorbed, no more is available to be absorbed. Pretty simple.

Ignore List: Surface Detail, litesong, spot, Into The Night

Edited on 10-08-2017 05:59
10-08-2017 11:16
Surface Detail
★★★★☆
(1673)
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:

Change in coupling does not change average temperatures in a system, regardless of whether that system is in thermal equilibrium or not.

It's rather cute that you have made up your own names for the laws of physics, but, as you demonstrate so well, it doesn't really help to facilitate understanding.

For the uninitiated:
Magick Blanket argument = Fourier's law of heat conduction
Magick Bouncing Photon argument = Laws of radiative physics

Perhaps you have also considered:
Magick Spooky Pulling argument = Newton's law of gravity
Magick Whizzing Molecule argument = Kinetic theory of gases

No? Well, please don't.
10-08-2017 15:57
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
"stuffedman" stuttered: Not ONLY does water vapor, and of course water, absorb far more heat over a much larger bandwidth than carbon dioxide does, but also water vapor is THE DOMINANT greenhouse gas, at 15,000 parts per million versus ~400 parts per million for CO2.

All AGW denier liar whiners love to repeat the greater GHG effect of water vapor over increasing man-made GHGs. "wake-me-up" just did the same thing in another thread, repeating here:
/////////
"old sick silly sleepy sleezy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner wake-me-up" woofs: Heat in the troposphere is moved about not by radiation but by conduction and convection and that makes CO2 a non-starter.....the heat capacity of the troposphere is dependent upon H2O and not CO2 most especially since it is 50 times greater....

"old sick silly sleepy sleezy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner wake-me-up" (& now all other AGW denier liar whiners) have been told the following before, but won't use the knowledge:
////////
Increasing man-made non-phase change, infra-red energy absorbing GHGs (CO2, methane, oxides of nitrogen, SF6, etc) control & cause phase change infra-red energy absorbing water vapor to be a positive feedback to AGW effects.
////////
"Surface Detail" (& hinted by me) shows why water vapor is the positive feedback to increasing man-made GHGs:
"Water is a major greenhouse gas too, but its level in the atmosphere depends on temperature. Excess water vapour rains out in days. Excess CO2 accumulates, warming the atmosphere, which raises water vapour levels and causes further warming."
Edited on 10-08-2017 16:16
10-08-2017 20:53
(21559)
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:

It's rather cute that you have made up your own names for the laws of physics, but, as you demonstrate so well, it doesn't really help to facilitate understanding.

For the uninitiated:
Magick Blanket argument = Fourier's law of heat conduction
Magick Bouncing Photon argument = Laws of radiative physics

Perhaps you have also considered:
Magick Spooky Pulling argument = Newton's law of gravity
Magick Whizzing Molecule argument = Kinetic theory of gases

No? Well, please don't.

The Magick Blanket argument is the violation of the 2nd law of thermodynamics by failing to consider the effect of insulation and how it decouples heat flow in BOTH directions.

The Magick Bouncing Photon argument is the violation of the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law by attempting to assume that all photons are the same, have the same energy, and they just keep bouncing back and forth between two regions forever, heating both of them.

Since I have coined both of these terms, your definitions are WRONG.

The Parrot Killer

10-08-2017 20:55
(21559)
litesong wrote:
"stuffedman" stuttered: Not ONLY does water vapor, and of course water, absorb far more heat over a much larger bandwidth than carbon dioxide does, but also water vapor is THE DOMINANT greenhouse gas, at 15,000 parts per million versus ~400 parts per million for CO2.

All AGW denier liar whiners love to repeat the greater GHG effect of water vapor over increasing man-made GHGs. "wake-me-up" just did the same thing in another thread, repeating here:
/////////
"old sick silly sleepy sleezy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner wake-me-up" woofs: Heat in the troposphere is moved about not by radiation but by conduction and convection and that makes CO2 a non-starter.....the heat capacity of the troposphere is dependent upon H2O and not CO2 most especially since it is 50 times greater....

"old sick silly sleepy sleezy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner wake-me-up" (& now all other AGW denier liar whiners) have been told the following before, but won't use the knowledge:
////////
Increasing man-made non-phase change, infra-red energy absorbing GHGs (CO2, methane, oxides of nitrogen, SF6, etc) control & cause phase change infra-red energy absorbing water vapor to be a positive feedback to AGW effects.
////////
"Surface Detail" (& hinted by me) shows why water vapor is the positive feedback to increasing man-made GHGs:

Water vapor is not rain. Water vapor is not even a cloud. The saturation level of water vapor in the air can go on for days and even months. You live in the Pacific Northwest. Did you forget that?

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2017 00:44
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
"old sick silly sleepy sleezy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner badnight" bluffed:The saturation level of water vapor in the air can go on for days and even months.

Thank you! Meanwhile:
11-08-2017 01:04
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Surface Detail wrote:

You really love those moronic web sites don't you.

EXCESS mosture rains out? The AVERAGE humidity over the entire globe is 4%. Maybe it's lower over northern Africa and the poles but it's much higher elsewhere.

CO2 is NOT a greenhouse gas and there is no such thing unless you count water vapor.

There are only four bands in which CO2 can absorb radiant energy and three of them are totally overwhelmed with H2O in vapor form and the fourth is a band that contains no energy from ground radiating heat.

Do you really think that Starman is as stupid as you are? He actually knows about science. Something you will never achieve.
11-08-2017 01:26
(21559)
Wake wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:

EXCESS mosture rains out? The AVERAGE humidity over the entire globe is 4%. Maybe it's lower over northern Africa and the poles but it's much higher elsewhere.

CO2 is NOT a greenhouse gas and there is no such thing unless you count water vapor.

Water vapor isn't a greenhouse gas either.
Wake wrote:
There are only four bands in which CO2 can absorb radiant energy and three of them are totally overwhelmed with H2O in vapor form and the fourth is a band that contains no energy from ground radiating heat.

Doesn't really matter what they absorb, does it? It's just another way for the surface to lose energy to the atmosphere.

The Parrot Killer

11-08-2017 02:46
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:

Wake wrote:

Doesn't really matter what they absorb, does it? It's just another way for the surface to lose energy to the atmosphere.

You don't have the slightest knowledge of science and I suggest you quit while you're only 20 miles behind the pack.
11-08-2017 04:50
(21559)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:

Wake wrote:

You don't have the slightest knowledge of science and I suggest you quit while you're only 20 miles behind the pack.

So you are saying that water vapor has magick properties that can warm the hotter surface by using a colder substance???

Are you saying that water vapor is an insulator better than dry air??? That is insulates in only one way???

Why do you say that water vapor is a 'greenhouse gas'?

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 11-08-2017 04:51
11-08-2017 18:50
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
StarMan wrote:

http://nov79.com/gbwm/ntyg.html

The leftist asses will carry on regardless of science.
11-08-2017 19:58
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
Wake wrote:
StarMan wrote:

http://nov79.com/gbwm/ntyg.html
The leftist asses will carry on regardless of science.

All AGW denier liar whiners love to repeat the greater GHG effect of water vapor over increasing man-made GHGs. "wake-me-up" just did the same thing in another thread, & now, "badnight" repeats, wrings & repeats.

////////
////////
///////
It is good that AGW denier liar whiners don't learn, while the solar TSI has been languid for many decades, low for 10+ years(including a 3+ year period setting a 100 year record low), & trillion+ ton chucks of ice leave Antarctica, more Antarctic Ice Shelf inverted fjord ice melts from asunder, & 100+ cubic kilometers per year of glacier melt finds the ocean.

Join the debate IR Spectra of Water Vapor and Carbon Dioxide:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems82709-02-2024 03:41
The Lake Mead water level is still rising in August, when it is ALWAYS falling. So snow melt is not the 15516-09-2023 13:46
Scientists say Florida Keys coral reefs are already bleaching as water temperatures hit record highs1429-07-2023 20:14
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
Happy fourth of July. I wonder how many liberals are eating carbon cooked burgers106-07-2023 23:52
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact