Remember me
▼ Content

I have a theory, on what causes glacials and interglacials

I have a theory, on what causes glacials and interglacials31-12-2015 02:24
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
During interglacial, there is decreasing weight on land. This reduces tectonic activity. The result is decreasing heat under the ocean and consequently decreasing temperature. This is how interglacials trigger glacials.

During glacial, there is increasing weight on land. This increases tectonic activity. The result is increasing heat under the ocean and consequently increasing temperature. This is how glacials trigger interglacials.

We know, the ocean is one of the two biggest sources of heat on Earth. The other being the Sun. This is why places near the sea, like Iceland, is much warmer, about 30 C warmer, than places of similar latitude but far from the sea, like Siberia.

What do you think?

This chart shows the alternating occurrences of glacials and interglacials.

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/400000yearslarge1.gif
Edited on 31-12-2015 02:26
31-12-2015 02:31
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
You can see in this tool that the ocean is one of the drivers of climate. It is one of the main sources of heat on Earth. Even if there is no Sun, Earth would be considerably warmer than the Moon.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/overlay=temp/orthographic=-114.19,21.67,274/loc=-155.809,59.639
Edited on 31-12-2015 02:32
31-12-2015 03:51
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
What is known is that, from the last glacial to this interglacial, happened very fast as temperature increased 10 C and CO2 increased from 180 ppm to 280 ppm over a few hundred years. Ocean outgassing of CO2 due to increased temperature cannot account for this. If the ocean outgasses CO2, the ocean would also outgas O2, and the composition of the air would not change. We know in the summer, CO2 decreases by about 6 ppm due to plants absorbing CO2 into their leaves in the summer, and in the fall, CO2 increases by about 6 ppm due to plants shedding leaves which decompose. The only plausible reason, in my opinion, that CO2 increased from 180 ppm to 280 ppm during the most recent transition, was due to tremendous tectonic activity, volcanoes and hot vents under the oceans, after the land became so heavy with glacier buildup that the tipping point was tripped which made Earth's tectonic activity go crazy high.
Edited on 31-12-2015 04:09
31-12-2015 04:22
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Recent re examination of ice core data confirmed no lag between change in CO2 and change in temperature, that these two moved together in lockstep. This suggests that higher tectonic activity was the cause for increase in temperature from the LGM to the Holocene.

http://news.yahoo.com/case-closed-says-study-c02-melted-ice-age-182946601.html

However, what I do not agree with the article is I do not think CO2 increases temperature. I think tectonic activity increases temperature as kinetic energy is converted into heat energy, heating up the ocean.
Edited on 31-12-2015 04:48
31-12-2015 06:06
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Think about it. What can possibly cause CO2 to jump from 180 ppm to 280 ppm and temperature to jump 10 C over only a few hundred years when the transition to Holocene occurred? It has to be because of heightened tectonic activity. What could have possibly cause this heightened tectonic activity? It must have been the huge amount of pressure exerted by the huge amount of ice buildup on land.
31-12-2015 09:24
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14397)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
During interglacial, there is decreasing weight on land. This reduces tectonic activity.

Ummm, no. Tectonic plates are floating on molten magma. The weight of ice atop is of no consequence.

Heavy ships drift in an ocean current just as life rafts.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist

Join the debate I have a theory, on what causes glacials and interglacials:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
I have a theory12316-06-2023 19:16
Evolutionary Biology and the Endosymbiotic Theory of Consciousness.11108-06-2023 02:39
What is the cause of climate change based on the greenhouse gas theory?8204-02-2023 20:51
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
Relativity theory31703-11-2022 19:38
Articles
Theory
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact