Remember me
▼ Content

Hurricane Florence is a Once IN A Lifetime storm


Hurricane Florence is a Once IN A Lifetime storm12-09-2018 13:14
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
...We had these last year. Maybe there needs to be a new standard of 100 and 500 year storms ? It'd be kind of interesting to have some idea of the surface and at depth temperatures of the Atlantic Ocean from around west of the Saharan desert. Since hurricanes are driven by heat is the equatorial Atlantic Ocean warmer than years past ? It'd be almost interesting to see dedicated monitoring of the ocean's temperatures on the surface and at depth at the same points of reference. I don't think something like that is happening though. It'd mean keeping equipment on site 24/7.

https://people.com/human-interest/national-weather-service-hurricane-florence-storm-of-a-lifetime/

..And it's expected to slow down in what seems similar to some of the hurricanes last year like Hurricane Harvey did last year.

https://weather.com/safety/hurricane/news/2018-09-12-hurricane-florence-forecast-southeast-us
Edited on 12-09-2018 14:10
12-09-2018 17:07
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
...We had these last year.

Hurricanes usually happen every year. Cat 4 hurricanes happen fairly often.
James___ wrote:
Maybe there needs to be a new standard of 100 and 500 year storms ?
Nope. It's not a 100 year storm (not 500 years either). The last such hurricane to hit the Carolinas was about 30 years ago. It stalled after reaching land too, just like this one likely will.
James___ wrote:
It'd be kind of interesting to have some idea of the surface and at depth temperatures of the Atlantic Ocean from around west of the Saharan desert.

We already do. Buoys are already located along the usual path of developing storms.
James___ wrote:
Since hurricanes are driven by heat is the equatorial Atlantic Ocean warmer than years past ?
Hurricanes ARE heat. They are convective heat made visible (and large).
It is not possible to measure the temperature of any ocean, however, buoys along this route show no unusual temperatures.
James___ wrote:
It'd be almost interesting to see dedicated monitoring of the ocean's temperatures on the surface and at depth at the same points of reference.

We already do have measurement points along the usual route of these storms.
James___ wrote:
I don't think something like that is happening though.
Yes it is.
James___ wrote:
It'd mean keeping equipment on site 24/7.
They are.
James___ wrote:
..And it's expected to slow down in what seems similar to some of the hurricanes last year like Hurricane Harvey did last year.

True. That is not unusual either. What is somewhat unusual about this storm is where it is hitting, not the strength or intensity of it.

The big danger is not to the people that have lived through these storms before, it is to the newbies in the area. It is to the people that have moved into the Carolinas since the last storm hit there. Many of them don't know what to do. Doing nothing is dangerous. Power is going to be out for awhile in large areas, and flooding will be a problem especially near cities, where they aren't used to handling it.


The Parrot Killer
13-09-2018 10:32
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(202)
James___ wrote:
...I don't think something like that is happening though. It'd mean keeping equipment on site 24/7......


See http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/
13-09-2018 13:57
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:
...I don't think something like that is happening though. It'd mean keeping equipment on site 24/7......


See http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/



...Thanks. It'd be nice though if they could use solar panels to keep them at the same longitude/latitude. Then they'd have specific points of reference.
13-09-2018 18:28
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
..A Super Typhoon is heading towards the Philippines. It'll be bad but hopefully they can prepare for it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/philippines-starts-massive-evacuations-huge-typhoon-nears-n909256?cid=ed_npd_bn_fb_bn
13-09-2018 19:43
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:
...I don't think something like that is happening though. It'd mean keeping equipment on site 24/7......


See http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/



...Thanks. It'd be nice though if they could use solar panels to keep them at the same longitude/latitude. Then they'd have specific points of reference.


Each buoy does include it's position in the data packet it sends (located by GPS). Another buoy can easily have drifted into the place the last buoy was at. Solar panels are already used to power the equipment on the buoy. You're talking about installing propulsion on a buoy to maintain its position. That's going to require more power than a solar panel can practically give on the thing.

The idea instead is to use lots of multiple buoys as they cross each other's positions while they drift. This makes them cheaper and automatically replaces those that die to the usual sea rot you get with any equipment at sea.

Buoys will not predict hurricane strength. The ocean water temperature is only one factor concerning hurricanes. The stability of the air is the other major factor. That changes even as the hurricane builds and progresses along it's usual route across the Atlantic. Really the best way to measure the strength of a hurricane is to fly through it with instruments as it progresses. This is what we now do. Those records of that data is stored at the National Hurricane Center.


The Parrot Killer
13-09-2018 22:04
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1026)
QUICK question...

When they measure maximum sustained winds from aircraft, what altitude are they measuring from? I assume it's around 500 meters where the strongest winds are typically found...at the eyewall of course.

What I'm getting at is that Max sustained winds are always reported but rarely realized at the surface. Matter of fact, peak surface gusts rarely equal reported max sustained. Seems like a lot of crying wolf...
Is it the gov covering their butts or the media over hyping a storm to promote a religion? Prolly both.
Edited on 13-09-2018 22:47
14-09-2018 04:32
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
..A Super Typhoon is heading towards the Philippines. It'll be bad but hopefully they can prepare for it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/philippines-starts-massive-evacuations-huge-typhoon-nears-n909256?cid=ed_npd_bn_fb_bn


They're pretty used to that sort of thing. Typhoons hit the Philippines on a regular basis. This is a larger one than usual, but it certainly isn't anything they've handled before.


The Parrot Killer
14-09-2018 04:49
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
GasGuzzler wrote:
QUICK question...

When they measure maximum sustained winds from aircraft, what altitude are they measuring from? I assume it's around 500 meters where the strongest winds are typically found...at the eyewall of course.

What I'm getting at is that Max sustained winds are always reported but rarely realized at the surface. Matter of fact, peak surface gusts rarely equal reported max sustained. Seems like a lot of crying wolf...
Is it the gov covering their butts or the media over hyping a storm to promote a religion? Prolly both.


It's not the gov. It's the hurricane being what it is. It's rather impossible to hold your altitude in a hurricane. If they tried, it would overstress the aircraft. They just 'ride the rollercoaster!'.

That said, they tend to try to maintain something between 5000 ft and 10000 ft. They will break out into the eyewall somewhere near those altitudes. That's anywhere from 1524 meters to 3049 meters. 500 meters is only 1600 ft, barely above the traffic pattern at most airports (and below it at some airports!).

Aircraft everywhere in the United States use feet to measure altitude. So does the weather service. Both generally use ASL. AGL is used for describing certain airspace boundaries and low level flying, but that's about it.

The gov doesn't need to cover its butt. They provide the service...take it or leave it.

The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.

The reason you don't feel such winds is because:
a) You're at the surface, not at 5000 to 10000 ft. Winds are less at the surface. They may even change direction depending on the terrain.
b) The hurricane weakens as soon as it hits land or moves into more stable air (such as colder water or warmer air).


The Parrot Killer
14-09-2018 05:39
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/how-powerful-irma-wind-speed-measured-feet/kBTbPeHeiRpIVaODI8ZfzN/
14-09-2018 18:19
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/how-powerful-irma-wind-speed-measured-feet/kBTbPeHeiRpIVaODI8ZfzN/


Yup. In a hurricane, the higher you go, the worse it gets. Even 33 feet is enough to clear most obstacles and expose you to much of the force of the winds.


The Parrot Killer
14-09-2018 20:12
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1026)
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]GasGuzzler wrote:
QUICK question...

When they measure maximum sustained winds from aircraft, what altitude are they measuring from? I assume it's around 500 meters where the strongest winds are typically found...at the eyewall of course.

What I'm getting at is that Max sustained winds are always reported but rarely realized at the surface. Matter of fact, peak surface gusts rarely equal reported max sustained. Seems like a lot of crying wolf...
Is it the gov covering their butts or the media over hyping a storm to promote a religion? Prolly both.


Into The Night wrote:
The gov doesn't need to cover its butt. They provide the service...take it or leave it.

I disagree there...Bush had his nuts cut off after Katrina and I think every local, state, and federal agency, responsible or not, is scared shitless of having the same done if thy fail in any way to help/rescue the idiots that didn't get out while the gettin was good. Nobody is responsible for their own safety anymore. In other words, I feel like the govmnts are literally trying to scare people out. This is not the storm of a lifetime. Maybe rain, but not wind.
It's rather impossible to hold your altitude in a hurricane. If they tried, it would overstress the aircraft. They just 'ride the rollercoaster!'.

That said, they tend to try to maintain something between 5000 ft and 10000 ft. They will break out into the eyewall somewhere near those altitudes. That's anywhere from 1524 meters to 3049 meters. 500 meters is only 1600 ft, barely above the traffic pattern at most airports (and below it at some airports!).

Very interesting. So, how do they enter these things? Angle, altitude? I assume into the wind? Maybe for simplicity explain as a clock, with a westward moving hurricane moving 9 oclock. O know zilch about flight, but I'd guess the cross winds would be an absolute no.
The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


The reason you don't feel such winds is because:
a) You're at the surface, not at 5000 to 10000 ft. Winds are less at the surface. They may even change direction depending on the terrain.
b) The hurricane weakens as soon as it hits land or moves into more stable air (such as colder water or warmer air).

Just thinking about a Katrina or Andrew. 175 mph sustained winds measured by aircraft...at 5-10k ft. So the sustained winds were actually much stronger at the 1600 ft altitude? That's incredible!!
Edited on 14-09-2018 20:36
14-09-2018 21:37
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]GasGuzzler wrote:
QUICK question...

When they measure maximum sustained winds from aircraft, what altitude are they measuring from? I assume it's around 500 meters where the strongest winds are typically found...at the eyewall of course.

What I'm getting at is that Max sustained winds are always reported but rarely realized at the surface. Matter of fact, peak surface gusts rarely equal reported max sustained. Seems like a lot of crying wolf...
Is it the gov covering their butts or the media over hyping a storm to promote a religion? Prolly both.


Into The Night wrote:
The gov doesn't need to cover its butt. They provide the service...take it or leave it.

I disagree there...Bush had his nuts cut off after Katrina
Bush had his 'nuts cut off' about everything he did. Big deal. Liberals like to cut off nuts.

Katrina was not Bush's fault. The problem in New Orleans wasn't FEMA either. It was the people of New Orleans. They tend to be a liberal lot, and they paid for their attitude.

Government response to disasters like Katrina (or any other disaster) is by least authority first. In other words, the smallest authority has control. The very smallest authority is yourself. YOU are responsible for your own safety. If you need help, your neighbor helps. If they can't do it, the neighborhood helps. If they can't do it, the city helps. If the city can help, the county or parish helps. If they can't help, the State helps.If the State can't help, then, and only then, the Federal government helps.

Why this model? Disaster destroy infrastructure. It takes time to get supplies in from outside. It doesn't matter who you are. New Orleans sits in a bowl right next to the river. They depend on dikes to keep the place dry at all. Those dikes are easily compromised.

Instead of taking care of each other, the people of New Orleans sat and whined that the Federal government was not there like a benevolent god. Compare that to the hurricane that hit Houston just a bit later. The people there helped each other, picked up their own pieces, rebuilt their own city. The FEMA response was no different.

Houston succeeded in weathering the storm. New Orleans didn't. They were pathetic.
GasGuzzler wrote:
and I think every local, state, and federal agency, responsible or not, is scared shitless of having the same done if thy fail in any way to help/rescue the idiots that didn't get out while the gettin was good.

No, they actually help because they care about the people in their jurisdictions. That's why they BECAME police officers, firefighters, aid crew, etc. in most cases.
GasGuzzler wrote:
Nobody is responsible for their own safety anymore.

You are always responsible for your own safety. If a liberal wants to discard that, that's their business and their risk. That said, the various government agencies provide recommendations, and even evacuation orders. That is not being safe for you. You are still responsible for your own safety.
GasGuzzler wrote:
In other words, I feel like the govmnts are literally trying to scare people out.

They are. They don't want to see people under their jurisdictions get hurt or killed. They don't want to have to put their own lives at risk to rescue people that are just plain stupid. You really can't blame them for putting out these warnings.

That said, the media are the ones that really hyped it up. They WANT to see as much disaster as possible. They don't care about the people in the disaster zone, they only want to use it as a political pawn.

GasGuzzler wrote:
This is not the storm of a lifetime. Maybe rain, but not wind.
Not even with the rain.
GasGuzzler wrote:
It's rather impossible to hold your altitude in a hurricane. If they tried, it would overstress the aircraft. They just 'ride the rollercoaster!'.

That said, they tend to try to maintain something between 5000 ft and 10000 ft. They will break out into the eyewall somewhere near those altitudes. That's anywhere from 1524 meters to 3049 meters. 500 meters is only 1600 ft, barely above the traffic pattern at most airports (and below it at some airports!).

Very interesting. So, how do they enter these things? Angle, altitude?

The pick an altitude (usually about 7000 ft) and dive right in.
GasGuzzler wrote:
I assume into the wind?

Nope. Across the winds. They want to get to the eyewall as soon as possible, and the tracking instruments work just as good careening sideways along with the wind.
GasGuzzler wrote:
Maybe for simplicity explain as a clock, with a westward moving hurricane moving 9 oclock.

They will tend to approach an Atlantic hurricane from the west. That's where their base is.
GasGuzzler wrote:
O know zilch about flight, but I'd guess the cross winds would be an absolute no.

Actually makes no difference. It's like riding a conveyor belt or a moving sidewalk.
It makes no difference whether you stand facing sideways, forward, backward, etc. while you are riding the thing. It's getting on and off (the transition) that can be tricky. To minimize the entry transition, they enter somewhat downwind (winds closer to the speed of the aircraft), then turn across the winds once in the storm itself.

The eyewall is much trickier. Winds inside the eyewall seem calm on the ground, there's a hell of an updraft up there. They slow down and start climbing to make that transition.
GasGuzzler wrote:
The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


The reason you don't feel such winds is because:
a) You're at the surface, not at 5000 to 10000 ft. Winds are less at the surface. They may even change direction depending on the terrain.
b) The hurricane weakens as soon as it hits land or moves into more stable air (such as colder water or warmer air).

Just thinking about a Katrina or Andrew. 175 mph sustained winds measured by aircraft...at 5-10k ft. So the sustained winds were actually much stronger at the 1600 ft altitude? That's incredible!!

These are the strongest winds at the eyewall. It is the 'bottom of the tornado', which has the strongest winds (barring terrain interference).

On the edge of the storm, the strongest winds are typically higher (about 3000 ft or so).


The Parrot Killer
14-09-2018 21:58
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]GasGuzzler wrote:
QUICK question...

When they measure maximum sustained winds from aircraft, what altitude are they measuring from? I assume it's around 500 meters where the strongest winds are typically found...at the eyewall of course.

What I'm getting at is that Max sustained winds are always reported but rarely realized at the surface. Matter of fact, peak surface gusts rarely equal reported max sustained. Seems like a lot of crying wolf...
Is it the gov covering their butts or the media over hyping a storm to promote a religion? Prolly both.


Into The Night wrote:
The gov doesn't need to cover its butt. They provide the service...take it or leave it.

I disagree there...Bush had his nuts cut off after Katrina and I think every local, state, and federal agency, responsible or not, is scared shitless of having the same done if thy fail in any way to help/rescue the idiots that didn't get out while the gettin was good. Nobody is responsible for their own safety anymore. In other words, I feel like the govmnts are literally trying to scare people out. This is not the storm of a lifetime. Maybe rain, but not wind.
It's rather impossible to hold your altitude in a hurricane. If they tried, it would overstress the aircraft. They just 'ride the rollercoaster!'.

That said, they tend to try to maintain something between 5000 ft and 10000 ft. They will break out into the eyewall somewhere near those altitudes. That's anywhere from 1524 meters to 3049 meters. 500 meters is only 1600 ft, barely above the traffic pattern at most airports (and below it at some airports!).

Very interesting. So, how do they enter these things? Angle, altitude? I assume into the wind? Maybe for simplicity explain as a clock, with a westward moving hurricane moving 9 oclock. O know zilch about flight, but I'd guess the cross winds would be an absolute no.
The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


The reason you don't feel such winds is because:
a) You're at the surface, not at 5000 to 10000 ft. Winds are less at the surface. They may even change direction depending on the terrain.
b) The hurricane weakens as soon as it hits land or moves into more stable air (such as colder water or warmer air).

Just thinking about a Katrina or Andrew. 175 mph sustained winds measured by aircraft...at 5-10k ft. So the sustained winds were actually much stronger at the 1600 ft altitude? That's incredible!!



...I guess what's being missed in all of this is what is natural climate change and what isn't. This is what can screw scientists, betting on the wrong horse. Things should be about understanding the natural order of things and how we are changing that. It's not IMHO.
15-09-2018 17:45
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
[quote]GasGuzzler wrote:
QUICK question...

When they measure maximum sustained winds from aircraft, what altitude are they measuring from? I assume it's around 500 meters where the strongest winds are typically found...at the eyewall of course.

What I'm getting at is that Max sustained winds are always reported but rarely realized at the surface. Matter of fact, peak surface gusts rarely equal reported max sustained. Seems like a lot of crying wolf...
Is it the gov covering their butts or the media over hyping a storm to promote a religion? Prolly both.


Into The Night wrote:
The gov doesn't need to cover its butt. They provide the service...take it or leave it.

I disagree there...Bush had his nuts cut off after Katrina and I think every local, state, and federal agency, responsible or not, is scared shitless of having the same done if thy fail in any way to help/rescue the idiots that didn't get out while the gettin was good. Nobody is responsible for their own safety anymore. In other words, I feel like the govmnts are literally trying to scare people out. This is not the storm of a lifetime. Maybe rain, but not wind.
It's rather impossible to hold your altitude in a hurricane. If they tried, it would overstress the aircraft. They just 'ride the rollercoaster!'.

That said, they tend to try to maintain something between 5000 ft and 10000 ft. They will break out into the eyewall somewhere near those altitudes. That's anywhere from 1524 meters to 3049 meters. 500 meters is only 1600 ft, barely above the traffic pattern at most airports (and below it at some airports!).

Very interesting. So, how do they enter these things? Angle, altitude? I assume into the wind? Maybe for simplicity explain as a clock, with a westward moving hurricane moving 9 oclock. O know zilch about flight, but I'd guess the cross winds would be an absolute no.
The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


The reason you don't feel such winds is because:
a) You're at the surface, not at 5000 to 10000 ft. Winds are less at the surface. They may even change direction depending on the terrain.
b) The hurricane weakens as soon as it hits land or moves into more stable air (such as colder water or warmer air).

Just thinking about a Katrina or Andrew. 175 mph sustained winds measured by aircraft...at 5-10k ft. So the sustained winds were actually much stronger at the 1600 ft altitude? That's incredible!!



...I guess what's being missed in all of this is what is natural climate change and what isn't. This is what can screw scientists, betting on the wrong horse. Things should be about understanding the natural order of things and how we are changing that. It's not IMHO.


There is no such thing as a global climate. There is no such thing as a global weather.
Define 'climate change'. This is still a meaningless buzzword.


The Parrot Killer
15-09-2018 19:38
spot
★★★☆☆
(939)
Into the Night wrote:

There is no such thing as a global climate. There is no such thing as a global weather.
Define 'climate change'. This is still a meaningless buzzword.


I go away then come back and you are still at it, don't you get bored of asking the same dumb question over and over again?


IBdaMann wrote:
"Air" is not a body in and of itself. Ergo it is not a blackbody.


Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.
16-09-2018 03:58
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
It looks like the typhoon (Typhoon Mangkhut) that hit the Philippines will now be heading towards Hong Kong.

When it made landfall in the Philippines Saturday morning at 1:40 a.m. local time, Mangkhut was packing winds of up to 270 kph (165 mph), 120 kph (75 mph) stronger than Hurricane Florence that hit North Carolina.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/15/asia/typhoon-mangkhut-hurricane-philippines-death---intl/index.html

..And if everyone needs a laugh, there is this. Watch the 2 guys walking behind the reporter. https://www.facebook.com/shannon.james.5688/videos/10216347165019242/?t=21
Edited on 16-09-2018 04:05
16-09-2018 14:49
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
And idea of what "strong" winds are;
https://www.facebook.com/dimsumdailyhk/videos/1936061793128158/?t=9
16-09-2018 15:18
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1026)
James___ wrote:
..And if everyone needs a laugh, there is this. Watch the 2 guys walking behind the reporter. https://www.facebook.com/shannon.james.5688/videos/10216347165019242/?t=21


Great video! What joke the weather channel has made of itself. I believe it was ITN that recently said this:

The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.
16-09-2018 19:16
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

There is no such thing as a global climate. There is no such thing as a global weather.
Define 'climate change'. This is still a meaningless buzzword.


I go away then come back and you are still at it, don't you get bored of asking the same dumb question over and over again?


Don't you get bored of ignoring and evading that question?


The Parrot Killer
16-09-2018 19:18
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
It looks like the typhoon (Typhoon Mangkhut) that hit the Philippines will now be heading towards Hong Kong.

When it made landfall in the Philippines Saturday morning at 1:40 a.m. local time, Mangkhut was packing winds of up to 270 kph (165 mph), 120 kph (75 mph) stronger than Hurricane Florence that hit North Carolina.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/15/asia/typhoon-mangkhut-hurricane-philippines-death---intl/index.html

..And if everyone needs a laugh, there is this. Watch the 2 guys walking behind the reporter. https://www.facebook.com/shannon.james.5688/videos/10216347165019242/?t=21


Yeah. THEY looked concerned! LOL



The Parrot Killer
16-09-2018 19:19
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
..And if everyone needs a laugh, there is this. Watch the 2 guys walking behind the reporter. https://www.facebook.com/shannon.james.5688/videos/10216347165019242/?t=21


Great video! What joke the weather channel has made of itself. I believe it was ITN that recently said this:

The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


It was. That quote is accurate.


The Parrot Killer
16-09-2018 19:27
spot
★★★☆☆
(939)
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

There is no such thing as a global climate. There is no such thing as a global weather.
Define 'climate change'. This is still a meaningless buzzword.


I go away then come back and you are still at it, don't you get bored of asking the same dumb question over and over again?


Don't you get bored of ignoring and evading that question?


I've only ever had one person ask me that question. most people what ever their stance on issue know what is meant by the word "climate" and "change" those that don't are normally satisfied with googling the phrase.

I suppose you think you have some profound and clever point in asking it but it makes you look an idiot.


IBdaMann wrote:
"Air" is not a body in and of itself. Ergo it is not a blackbody.


Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.
17-09-2018 01:52
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
..And if everyone needs a laugh, there is this. Watch the 2 guys walking behind the reporter. https://www.facebook.com/shannon.james.5688/videos/10216347165019242/?t=21


Great video! What joke the weather channel has made of itself. I believe it was ITN that recently said this:

The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


It was. That quote is accurate.



...Fallacy inversion.
17-09-2018 03:26
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1026)
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
..And if everyone needs a laugh, there is this. Watch the 2 guys walking behind the reporter. https://www.facebook.com/shannon.james.5688/videos/10216347165019242/?t=21


Great video! What joke the weather channel has made of itself. I believe it was ITN that recently said this:

The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


It was. That quote is accurate.


Could not be more accurate, and proven true within hours of posting. You working for the Weather Channel just so you can be right?
17-09-2018 03:50
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
..And if everyone needs a laugh, there is this. Watch the 2 guys walking behind the reporter. https://www.facebook.com/shannon.james.5688/videos/10216347165019242/?t=21


Great video! What joke the weather channel has made of itself. I believe it was ITN that recently said this:

The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


It was. That quote is accurate.


Could not be more accurate, and proven true within hours of posting. You working for the Weather Channel just so you can be right?



...Do you 2 mean like this ? Nearly 1 million lose power
.I guess that is hype. Of course if that much damage was done then we're back to your statements being nothing more than a fallacy inversion which used buzzwords and circular arguments. ie., if you don't think much of what happened then it's just hype of which the 2 of you seem to like hyping your own fallacy which would make it an inverted fallacy. That's an argument based on one's ego which has no merit outside of the ego, ie., the self that created it.
..Still I think you 2 like supporting each others phallacy (I think this is funny, LMAO!!!) or is that fantasy ?
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/406853-nearly-1-million-without-power-as-florence-crawls-through-carolinas
Edited on 17-09-2018 03:55
17-09-2018 06:54
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
..And if everyone needs a laugh, there is this. Watch the 2 guys walking behind the reporter. https://www.facebook.com/shannon.james.5688/videos/10216347165019242/?t=21


Great video! What joke the weather channel has made of itself. I believe it was ITN that recently said this:

The media over hypes pretty much anything they get ahold of. The difference between the National Enquirer and the Associated Press is smaller than most people like to think about. Just remember how they deal with a tornado story. They'll show some trailer park that was mashed by some tornado, leaving pretty much everything else untouched, and cry "Total Devastation!". Then they get that gal in the mumu (does she work on their staff?) to describe how horrible it all was.


It was. That quote is accurate.


Could not be more accurate, and proven true within hours of posting. You working for the Weather Channel just so you can be right?



...Do you 2 mean like this ? Nearly 1 million lose power

Not unusual for hurricanes.
James___ wrote:
.I guess that is hype.

Yup.
James___ wrote:
Of course if that much damage was done

That much damage can be repaired. They're doing it as we speak. You know it does take awhile to pick the mess after a hurricane. I expect most people will have power within the week. In some sections, high tension lines were wrecked. It will take a bit longer to rebuilt that system (about ten days).
James___ wrote:
then we're back to your statements being nothing more than a fallacy inversion which used buzzwords and circular arguments. ie., if you don't think much of what happened then it's just hype of which the 2 of you seem to like hyping your own fallacy which would make it an inverted fallacy.

Try English. It works better.
James___ wrote:
That's an argument based on one's ego which has no merit outside of the ego, ie., the self that created it.

That's not even an argument. It wasn't even English.


The Parrot Killer
17-09-2018 17:14
spot
★★★☆☆
(939)
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.
17-09-2018 18:21
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
spot wrote:
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.


That's a pretty vague accusation. Who are you referring to?


The Parrot Killer
17-09-2018 18:31
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
Into the Night wrote:

That's not even an argument. It wasn't even English.



...snakker ikke Engelsk ? Не по Английский? Phallusy inversion or is that fallacy ?
With you it's so hard to tell. Is your name Dick by any chance?
17-09-2018 19:04
spot
★★★☆☆
(939)
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.


That's a pretty vague accusation. Who are you referring to?


I know you can act mindblowingly obtuse when you want to be but you aren't dumb you know exactly what you are doing.

Just to spell it out I am referring to you and people like you when I use the phrase chucklehead. its all a joke to you but people fooled by your act genuinely suffer in instances like this.


IBdaMann wrote:
"Air" is not a body in and of itself. Ergo it is not a blackbody.


Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.
17-09-2018 20:52
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.


That's a pretty vague accusation. Who are you referring to?


I know you can act mindblowingly obtuse when you want to be but you aren't dumb you know exactly what you are doing.

Just to spell it out I am referring to you and people like you when I use the phrase chucklehead. its all a joke to you but people fooled by your act genuinely suffer in instances like this.


I did not tell those people to stay or go. I did not cause any floods. I did not cause the hurricane. I did not direct it into North Carolina. Most people who DID stay survived.

While I appreciate the gesture, I do not have god-like powers here.


The Parrot Killer
17-09-2018 22:55
spot
★★★☆☆
(939)
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.


That's a pretty vague accusation. Who are you referring to?


I know you can act mindblowingly obtuse when you want to be but you aren't dumb you know exactly what you are doing.

Just to spell it out I am referring to you and people like you when I use the phrase chucklehead. its all a joke to you but people fooled by your act genuinely suffer in instances like this.


I did not tell those people to stay or go. I did not cause any floods. I did not cause the hurricane. I did not direct it into North Carolina. Most people who DID stay survived.

While I appreciate the gesture, I do not have god-like powers here.


You say that experts are wrong all the time. You said that the reaction to the storm was over-hyped you pretend to know what you are talking about. I doubt you personally are responsible for anything but that's not for want of trying.


IBdaMann wrote:
"Air" is not a body in and of itself. Ergo it is not a blackbody.


Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.
18-09-2018 00:32
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
spot wrote:
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.


That's a pretty vague accusation. Who are you referring to?


I know you can act mindblowingly obtuse when you want to be but you aren't dumb you know exactly what you are doing.

Just to spell it out I am referring to you and people like you when I use the phrase chucklehead. its all a joke to you but people fooled by your act genuinely suffer in instances like this.


I did not tell those people to stay or go. I did not cause any floods. I did not cause the hurricane. I did not direct it into North Carolina. Most people who DID stay survived.

While I appreciate the gesture, I do not have god-like powers here.


You say that experts are wrong all the time.

Compositional error fallacy.
spot wrote:
You said that the reaction to the storm was over-hyped
It was.
spot wrote:
you pretend to know what you are talking about.
I do.
spot wrote:
I doubt you personally are responsible for anything but that's not for want of trying.

What do you think I'm trying?


The Parrot Killer
18-09-2018 04:53
GasGuzzler
★★★★☆
(1026)
spot wrote:
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.


The "experts" were calling for a strong Cat 3, maybe a 4. It was a Cat 1. However, everyone was told to evacuate....so yeah, ITN, Trump, and George Bush are all responsible for any loss of life. Whatever.


Spot, I know you'd love to blame the blazin hot earth for this storm, but a quick dig shows that North Caronlina is actually overdue for a strong storm, stronger than the one they just got. Take a look at the 50s! Man, that was a tough decade! Was your CO2 doing it's thing back then?
Attached image:


Edited on 18-09-2018 04:55
18-09-2018 10:48
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.


The "experts" were calling for a strong Cat 3, maybe a 4. It was a Cat 1. However, everyone was told to evacuate....so yeah, ITN, Trump, and George Bush are all responsible for any loss of life. Whatever.


Spot, I know you'd love to blame the blazin hot earth for this storm, but a quick dig shows that North Caronlina is actually overdue for a strong storm, stronger than the one they just got. Take a look at the 50s! Man, that was a tough decade! Was your CO2 doing it's thing back then?



...gasguzzler, have been seeing a lot of Republicans with your attitude. It's like President Trump said, 3,000 people didn't die in Puerto Rico as the result of a hurricane. Did he cause the hurricane ? No ? Then don't blame him for those people's deaths. Yep, when something happens to someone else Republicans become the victim. It's like Sarah Huckabee, the White House press secretary said about herself, she's a daddy's girl and her father is Mike Huckabee a Republican. She knows that you have to be nice to victims and that Republicans are the victims in America.
18-09-2018 17:45
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
As far as I can tell 18 have died and plenty of people are stranded in miserable conditions. How many are suffering because instead of heading advice thought; "what do experts know I'm riding this out/going for a drive as normal.". You encourage this. Your chucklehead philosophy gets people killed.


The "experts" were calling for a strong Cat 3, maybe a 4. It was a Cat 1. However, everyone was told to evacuate....so yeah, ITN, Trump, and George Bush are all responsible for any loss of life. Whatever.


Spot, I know you'd love to blame the blazin hot earth for this storm, but a quick dig shows that North Caronlina is actually overdue for a strong storm, stronger than the one they just got. Take a look at the 50s! Man, that was a tough decade! Was your CO2 doing it's thing back then?



...gasguzzler, have been seeing a lot of Republicans with your attitude. It's like President Trump said, 3,000 people didn't die in Puerto Rico as the result of a hurricane. Did he cause the hurricane ? No ? Then don't blame him for those people's deaths.
3000 people didn't die in Puerto Rico because of any hurricane. The number is completely fabricated.
James___ wrote:
Yep, when something happens to someone else Republicans become the victim.

Bigotry.
James___ wrote:
It's like Sarah Huckabee, the White House press secretary said about herself, she's a daddy's girl and her father is Mike Huckabee a Republican. She knows that you have to be nice to victims and that Republicans are the victims in America.

Bigotry. Republicans are not victims.


The Parrot Killer




Join the debate Hurricane Florence is a Once IN A Lifetime storm:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Must've Been a Strong Storm007-10-2017 15:26
Hurricane Harvey9523-09-2017 19:31
Hurricane Patricia2823-08-2017 01:48
Articles
Al Gore: Hurricane Katrina and Global Warming
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2017 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact