Remember me
▼ Content

Humidity and CO2

Humidity and CO212-06-2016 11:31
Humidity2
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Logically ought atmospheric CO2 content be almost constant. However, the measurements as CO2 level jumps up and down relative to the water content.

My question is about the average moisture content in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa, Hawaii, has fallen to the same extent as CO2 has increased?
Attached image:

12-06-2016 12:33
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Do you have any data on the water vapor levels at Mauna Loa and at what altitudes?
Edited on 12-06-2016 12:33
12-06-2016 23:15
Humidity2
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Tim the plumber wrote:
Do you have any data on the water vapor levels at Mauna Loa and at what altitudes?

No, I am a nonprofessional.
12-06-2016 23:57
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Tim the plumber wrote:

Humidity today is approx 64%. Average humidity this week is forecast to be about 58%.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
14-06-2016 19:24
Humidity2
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

Humidity today is approx 64%. Average humidity this week is forecast to be about 58%.

That is humidity 64% and humidity 58% in ppm?
14-06-2016 23:37
(21582)
Humidity2 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tim the plumber wrote:

That is humidity 64% and humidity 58% in ppm?

Humidity is not measured in ppm. It is measured in percentage of air saturation with moisture. It can also be expressed as a temperature-dewpoint spread. One is convertible to the other.

When temperature reaches the dewpoint, visible moisture appears. This is also the same as 100% humidity at that point.

Clouds tend to appear flat on the bottom because that is the point where the air has cooled enough to reach the dewpoint. Clouds often appear lumpy on top because the rising air carries that visible moisture with it.

The reason the cloud HAS a top is because the visible moisture has essentially fallen out of the air, further reducing it's effective dewpoint.

Clouds may layer because the temperature may again fall to the dewpoint at a higher altitude.

Look up humidity, dewpoint-temperature spread, and how to convert between them. (There are web calculators available to make this job easier).

Today, the humidity at Mauna Loa weather station is at 99% (it's raining there).

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-06-2016 11:39
Humidity2
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Into the Night wrote:
Humidity is not measured in ppm. It is measured in percentage of air saturation with moisture. It can also be expressed as a temperature-dewpoint spread. One is convertible to the other.

You have need to measure the humidity in ppm to compare with CO2 in ppm.

The ppm of 100% air saturation moisture, is rising and falling with the pressure. And if pressure of Mauna Loa had fallen, the CO2 had go up in ppm, when the air becomes dryer (in ppm).

Mauna Loa is a high mountain, and pressure changes, therefore, more than at sea level.
17-06-2016 22:08
(21582)
Humidity2 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

You have need to measure the humidity in ppm to compare with CO2 in ppm.

The ppm of 100% air saturation moisture, is rising and falling with the pressure. And if pressure of Mauna Loa had fallen, the CO2 had go up in ppm, when the air becomes dryer (in ppm).

Mauna Loa is a high mountain, and pressure changes, therefore, more than at sea level.

Mauna Loa isn't that high..only 13000 feet. Humidity is often GREATER at altitude than at sea level since you are often closer to the point where dew point and temperature meet. It can also be LOWER, if the cloud layer is below that altitude.

For this reason, Mauna Loa measures its own humidity (it's also a weather station that is not on the NOAA network).

Humidity is not measured in ppm. That is a nonsensical scale to use for it.

The concentration of CO2 is not affected by humidity. The instrument itself however, may be. ANY water vapor in the instrument is going to affect the readings, since water vapor also responds to the same infrared frequencies as carbon dioxide.

You can reduce humidity in the instrument through the use of compressors, desiccant techniques, and such, but you can never bring it to zero.

The Parrot Killer

19-06-2016 18:41
Humidity2
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
Into the Night wrote:
The concentration of CO2 is not affected by humidity.

If the concentration of CO2 is not affected by humidity, how can you determine the 999,600 ppm, which are not CO2?

If humidity is 400,000 ppm and go down to 300,000 ppm, how are growing CO2 and the other gases. They all are growing from 600,000 ppm to 700,000 ppm. 17%.
19-06-2016 21:28
(21582)
Humidity2 wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
The concentration of CO2 is not affected by humidity.

If the concentration of CO2 is not affected by humidity, how can you determine the 999,600 ppm, which are not CO2?

If humidity is 400,000 ppm and go down to 300,000 ppm, how are growing CO2 and the other gases. They all are growing from 600,000 ppm to 700,000 ppm. 17%.

1000000 - 400 = 999600.

If CO2 is 400ppm, everything else is not CO2.

The Parrot Killer

21-06-2016 02:09
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14388)
Into the Night wrote:1000000 - 400 = 999600.

I did not want to rush to judgement so I had Russian mathematicians validate your work.

It checks out. Carry on.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
22-06-2016 20:20
Humidity2
☆☆☆☆☆
(6)
I try with a better example:
Year 1958: 310 ppm CO2 | 333,230 ppm H2O | 666,460 ppm other gases.

Year 2016: 400 ppm CO2 | 139,652 ppm H2O | 859,948 ppm other gases.
22-06-2016 22:59
(21582)
Humidity2 wrote:
I try with a better example:
Year 1958: 310 ppm CO2 | 333,230 ppm H2O | 666,460 ppm other gases.

Year 2016: 400 ppm CO2 | 139,652 ppm H2O | 859,948 ppm other gases.

Where are you getting your numbers for H20 ppm? Please describe the source (who made the measurement), the instrumentation used, where and when it was used, and the method of summarization used.

Without this information, these are just random numbers.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Humidity and CO2:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
Florida in hot water as ocean temperatures rise along with the humidity213-07-2023 15:50
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
CO2 Is Helping the Ozone Layer to Recover113-08-2022 05:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact