11-08-2017 04:19
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
That warm CO2 dissipates it's thermal energy into the surrounding air.

And where does the heat go then? It must go somewhere, otherwise the surrounding air would just keep getting hotter!

Space. The air has a radiance just like the surface does.

You DO know about radiance, don't you? It's proportional to temperature, you know.

So you reckon the heat from the atmosphere goes up but not down? How does it know not to go down?

I notice I made an entry error so I'll correct that first: H20 in just its vapor stage is 100 more common than CO2. (4% vs .04%) And it absorbs infrared heat from almost the entire bandwidth with only a few openings in its bandwidth.

And in general yes - heat only goes up. It mixes in the atmosphere via conduction and rises due to convection. If the rising air mass is warmer than the air above it convection drives the heavier air mass downwards. If not it uses conduction to pass the heat around until it is warmer than the mass above it.

But then all you have to do is turn on the TV weather reports and they could explain this to you.

Generally correct.
Wake wrote:
Heat in the troposphere can radiate but not much and not far before being absorbed by air-born water vapor causing conduction and convection.

Most radiance comes from the surface itself.

Water vapor does not stop or trap energy. Any light that is absorbs is converted to thermal energy. The water vapor is still cooler than the surface beneath it. It still radiates energy though, just not as much as the surface. It is still above absolute zero.
Wake wrote:
This entirely leaves out the effects of water in micro-droplets in clouds or rain falling unto the ground.

Meh. Same thing happens
Wake wrote:
CO2 is not even in the same game.

Yes. it is. It's all the same kind of thing. All of these substances happen to absorb infrared energy, helping to cool the surface of the Earth. All of these substances are above absolute zero. The radiate their own energy according to their temperature.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-08-2017 04:22
(21582)
Surface Detail wrote:
Wake wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

And where does the heat go then? It must go somewhere, otherwise the surrounding air would just keep getting hotter!

You DO know about radiance, don't you? It's proportional to temperature, you know.

So you reckon the heat from the atmosphere goes up but not down? How does it know not to go down?

I notice I made an entry error so I'll correct that first: H20 in just its vapor stage is 10,000 more common than CO2. And it absorbs infrared heat from almost the entire bandwidth with only a few openings in its bandwidth.

And in general yes - heat only goes up. It mixes in the atmosphere via conduction and rises due to convection. If the rising air mass is warmer than the air above it convection drives the heavier air mass downwards. If not it uses conduction to pass the heat around until it is warmer than the mass above it.

But then all you have to do is turn on the TV weather reports and they could explain this to you.

Heat in the troposphere can radiate but not much and not far before being absorbed by air-born water vapor causing conduction and convection.

This entirely leaves out the effects of water in micro-droplets in clouds or rain falling unto the ground.

We're talking about radiated heat, you idiot. Heat that is radiated by the atmosphere is transmitted equally in all directions. Some of it reaches the ground. We refer to this as back radiation.

You cannot heat a warmer substance with a colder one. It doesn't matter if you use conduction or radiance to do it. You are STILL trying to make hot coffee with ice. You are STILL trying to violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics and the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

Most of Earth's radiance comes directly from the surface itself.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
11-08-2017 04:23
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Wake wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Surface Detail wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

I notice I made an entry error so I'll correct that first: H20 in just its vapor stage is 10,000 more common than CO2. And it absorbs infrared heat from almost the entire bandwidth with only a few openings in its bandwidth.

We're talking about radiated heat, you idiot. Heat that is radiated by the atmosphere is transmitted equally in all directions. Some of it reaches the ground. We refer to this as back radiation.

Why don't you tell us how this heat is radiated? You really don't have a clue what you're talking about and somehow have the idea that radiation occurs to any sensible amount in the troposphere.

It does. The troposphere has mass. That mass is above absolute zero. It has a radiance, same as any mass.

The Parrot Killer

Page 3 of 3<123

Join the debate Heaven Forbid - It's Warming - We may leave our current Ice Age:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
The new President elect of Haagen Dazs, demonstrating an ice cream filled donut017-11-2023 14:07
WW3 about to begin as American morons in Belarus told to leave ASAP or yesterday whichever comes first528-08-2023 13:17
Make A Donation If You Want To Have A Hint Of How The Current World Conflicts End113-07-2023 20:47
Rip current in the Caspian Sea024-08-2022 11:59
Many Big Ideas For Global Currencies Using Rules In The Current World Financial System010-08-2022 09:51
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact