Remember me
▼ Content

Hawaii's Waikiki Beach could soon be underwater because of climate change. Lawmakers are fighting to

Hawaii's Waikiki Beach could soon be underwater because of climate change. Lawmakers are fighting to prese23-04-2019 15:04
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/us/hawaii-waikiki-climate-change-trnd/index.html
23-04-2019 19:47
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
CNN is being stupid again. Waikiki isn't going anywhere.
23-04-2019 20:17
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14389)
Please tell me that there are people betting big money on Waikiki going under water. I want to bet against.
RE: Hawaii's Waikiki Beach could soon be underwater because of climate change. Lawmakers are fighting to23-04-2019 22:36
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
IBdaMann wrote:
Please tell me that there are people betting big money on Waikiki going under water. I want to bet against.

The article is actually discussing replacing sand on Waikiki beach. This is an ongoing program and is funded by the the City of Honolulu, the State of Hawaii, and various hotels along the beach front.

Sand on Waikiki beaches is generally not natural. It is trucked in from elsewhere. Normal erosion washes the sand offshore into sand bars and the shallow bay that Waikiki has become over the years. This beach faces leeward to prevailing winds, so the waves are relatively gentle, but they are enough to erode sand from beaches and deposit it out in the waters just off shore. The natural state of much of Waikiki is a rocky beach with deposits of golden sand over portions of it.

The sand, oddly enough, doesn't come from a quarry. It is created by parrot fish. These fish eat algae off of rocks and coral and excrete the non-nourishing rock as sand. Over the years they can build up quite a lot of sand! It is the source of that golden colored sand you see everywhere in Hawaii.

The sand naturally builds up in some places and is washed away in others by wave action. Trucks are used to transport sand to 'desirable' beaches, such as Waikiki. This replacement of sand generally lasts for several years before requiring replacement again. Other methods to try to retain sand is to build jetties out into the water to limit side action by waves. You will see these on Waikiki beach also.

Enjoy your next stay in Hawaii, knowing that the very pretty beach you're walking on is essentially fish poop. Thank the lowly parrot fish for all that beauty!

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 23-04-2019 22:51
24-04-2019 03:01
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Beach erosion is normal and natural, thanks to the tide and gravity. Big storms usually speed things up quite a bit. After a hurricane passes Florida, there is usually a lot of talk about replacing beach sand, and the cost. Tourism is our major industry, so it's just part of doing business. Anything that messes up the clean sand, will cause a call for replacing the sand as well. Stuff like oil spills, red tide fish kills are usually the cause. There are a lot of beaches around the world, that are created, specifically for the tourists. Naturally, they are mostly rock, with a couple of feet of sand spread over them frequently, basically so people can play in the sandbox.

Join the debate Hawaii's Waikiki Beach could soon be underwater because of climate change. Lawmakers are fighting to :

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Many Sports Becoming Commercial Business Money Industry Instead Of Real Spirit Fighting Battle220-06-2021 00:46
Why are we fighting clomate change, rather than preparing for changes?217-06-2021 03:06
Fighting climate change by restoring nature823-06-2020 10:25
CNN: Wind farms of the future may be underwater202-05-2019 02:51
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact