▼ Content

Geology and Climate Change

Geology and Climate Change02-03-2018 00:33
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
This link is to the U.S.G.S. Search Earthquake Catalog
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/search/

This link is to the NASA Earth Observatory Global Temperatures interactive globe. It shows different decades and the temperature anomaly.
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/WorldOfChange/decadaltemp.php

If both are used together then some might see where geologic events in time lead to atmospheric temperature changes. This can take time and while some might "get it" others never will.
Myself, I think using a "carbon footprint" or giving a specific value to CO2 and it's energy equivalent is the wrong way to discuss climate change. Conditions can be monitored and the effects of urbanization and industrialization can then be better quantified. An example of this is an asphalt road. It raises the temperature in it's immediate vicinity by up to 20° F. Then when the next year comes it is no longer considered to have an effect. A "carbon footprint" is based on fossil fuels consumed during a calendar year. At the same time, asphalt comes from fossil fuels.[url] https://www.britannica.com/science/asphalt-material[/url]

As Wake used to say, there is a heat island effect. By measuring the temperature starting from the center of a city and then moving outward until the city no longer influences atmospheric temperature, the heat absorbed, radiate or just released into the atmosphere would become known. Hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.
This is where considering the U.S.G.S. search engine along with NASA's decadal temperature anomaly graph might be of interest to some people. And as Wake said, I did have major surgery and will be needing more surgery so I should be taking things easy until I am healthy.
02-03-2018 03:29
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
James___ wrote:
...deleted Holy Link...

Does that mean we get to buy what earthquakes we want to have now? How much does a 2.3 scale earthquake cost? Are they ever having a sale on those?
James___ wrote:
This link is to the NASA Earth Observatory Global Temperatures interactive globe. It shows different decades and the temperature anomaly.
...deleted Holy Link...

It is not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth.
James___ wrote:
If both are used together then some might see where geologic events in time lead to atmospheric temperature changes. This can take time and while some might "get it" others never will.

What's to get? Yet another association between two random sets of random numbers?
James___ wrote:
Myself, I think using a "carbon footprint" or giving a specific value to CO2 and it's energy equivalent is the wrong way to discuss climate change.

Here I agree. CO2 has capability to increase the temperature of the Earth.
James___ wrote:
Conditions can be monitored and the effects of urbanization and industrialization can then be better quantified.

It is not possible to measure the temperature of a city, much less the Earth.
James___ wrote:
An example of this is an asphalt road. It raises the temperature in it's immediate vicinity by up to 20° F.

I see you have seen some pretty steep temperature gradients also.
James___ wrote:
Then when the next year comes it is no longer considered to have an effect.

Nothin' like consistency, eh?
James___ wrote:
A "carbon footprint" is based on fossil fuels consumed during a calendar year.
Fossils don't burn. We don't use them for fuel.
James___ wrote:
At the same time, asphalt comes from fossil fuels.
...deleted Holy Link...

Fossils don't burn. Asphalt itself doesn't come from fossils either.
James___ wrote:
As Wake used to say, there is a heat island effect.

Maybe, maybe not. There is really no way to tell.
James___ wrote:
By measuring the temperature starting from the center of a city and then moving outward until the city no longer influences atmospheric temperature, the heat absorbed, radiate or just released into the atmosphere would become known.

Not good enough. You just described a temperature gradient of 20 degF per FOOT. Temperature changes over time as well.
James___ wrote:
Hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.

That's why.
James___ wrote:
This is where considering the U.S.G.S. search engine along with NASA's decadal temperature anomaly graph might be of interest to some people.

Only to those that believe in random numbers as 'data'.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
02-03-2018 22:13
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
James___ wrote:

....If both are used together then some might see where geologic events in time lead to atmospheric temperature changes.....

By "geologic events" do you mean earthquakes?

If that's what you mean, then "show me."

If by geologic events you mean tectonic plate motions over millions of years, sure or if you mean the "shading effect" that some large volcanic eruptions like Pinatubo can produce or if you mean the greenhouse gas effects of really large flood basalt events like the Deccan Traps can produce, sure.

Earthquakes? Show me. An extraordinary claim, need extraordinary evidence.
02-03-2018 22:29
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

....If both are used together then some might see where geologic events in time lead to atmospheric temperature changes.....

If by geologic events you mean tectonic plate motions over millions of years, sure or if you mean the "shading effect" that some large volcanic eruptions like Pinatubo can produce or if you mean the greenhouse gas effects of really large flood basalt events like the Deccan Traps can produce, sure.

It's not an extraordinary claim. Kind of why earthquake monitoring on and around Greenland started improving in the 1920's. As GasGuzzler told me, google is your friend. In reality most search engines limit what a person can search to what is popular. when searching online, anyone can see what search terms were deleted in the search results. This reduces the number of unique searches and allows for more profit per search which is the basis of a search engine, ie. how it generates revenue.

Greenland 1920's warming narwhals, you can see how many of the results have all 4 terms. Still it takes little effort for someone to look at an interactive temperature globe and to search earthquakes. People need to think for themselves.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=662&ei=IrOZWpTsHI3dzwKptrbgDg&q=Greenland+1920%27s+warming+narwhals&oq=Greenland+1920%27s+warming+narwhals&gs_l=psy-ab.3...73027.73442.0.74209.2.2.0.0.0.0.99.175.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.JQUR6NnLTUk
02-03-2018 22:39
(21559)
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

It's not an extraordinary claim. Kind of why earthquake monitoring on and around Greenland started improving in the 1920's. As GasGuzzler told me, google is your friend. In reality most search engines limit what a person can search to what is popular. when searching online, anyone can see what search terms were deleted in the search results. This reduces the number of unique searches and allows for more profit per search which is the basis of a search engine, ie. how it generates revenue.

Greenland 1920's warming narwhals, you can see how many of the results have all 4 terms. Still it takes little effort for someone to look at an interactive temperature globe and to search earthquakes. People need to think for themselves.

Holy Links are not thinking for yourself. You are letting others do your thinking for you. Their use is the sign of a weak mind.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
02-03-2018 22:45
litesong
★★★★★
(2297)
[b]still learning wrote: Earthquakes? Show me. An extraordinary claim, need extraordinary evidence.
As I've said to james, show that earthquakes (both on land & underwater) are showing recent historical increases to cause excess GHG emissions to the atmosphere. However, science has shown that GHG isotopes in the atmosphere come from man & not from "natural & increased processes".
03-03-2018 17:41
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

Holy Links are not thinking for yourself. You are letting others do your thinking for you. Their use is the sign of a weak mind.

I think this is your problem ITN. As a Native American you cannot adapt to a changing world. This requires thought on your part yet you hold others for your inability to be nothing more than a nuisance. Can you show at what point the Great Spirit told you not to progress as a people ?
03-03-2018 18:08
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

I think this is your problem ITN. As a Native American you cannot adapt to a changing world. This requires thought on your part yet you hold others for your inability to be nothing more than a nuisance. Can you show at what point the Great Spirit told you not to progress as a people ?

Ooooo. Nice bit of bigotry there, dude.

Actually, I don't have to worry about adapting to a changing world, am changing the world. That's my job, and I enjoy it very much.

The Parrot Killer

03-03-2018 19:11
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

Actually, I don't have to worry about adapting to a changing world, am changing the world. That's my job, and I enjoy it very much.

Empty words.
03-03-2018 20:29
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

Empty words.

Your opinion, but you should at least work on your bigotry problems.

The Parrot Killer

03-03-2018 20:35
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

Empty words.

ITN,
Asking a question does not make me a bigot. If you want to use that as an excuse for your not doing more to have a life, then go ahead and use it then.
Edited on 03-03-2018 20:52
03-03-2018 22:55
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
The links are to 2 images from the U.S.G.S. earthquake search engine.
The first image shows earthquakes magnitude 4.5 or greater during the 1970's.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h6fuzQCHKXrz3T593

The 2nd shows earthquakes magnitude 4.5 or greater during the 2000's.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1qUfwKT8rVDFT8PH2

As shown the number of earthquakes magnitude 4.5 or greater increased from 122 to 206. That's an increase of 84.

In the 1970's there were 4 earthquakes magnitude 6.0 or greater. During the 2000's there were 6 magnitude 6.0 or greater earthquakes.
I have mentioned before that deep faults and hydrothermal vents can both open or close due to seismic activity. although I think in here that this would be of little interest. Hydrothermal events weren't discovered until the 1970's or 80's so there isn't much known about them or deep faults. I think it would be interesting to have the heat in currents to be followed back to it's source.
I think one day this will need to happen. litesong once posted a link where iridium was in the currents of the Arctic Ocean. If the iridium were followed back to it's source then most likely (IMO) they would find either a deep fault or a hydrothermal vent. and for those interested, iridium is in the platinum group of elements.
By using NASA's temperature globe and this search engine, there seems to be a relationship between 6.0 magnitude or greater earthquakes and changes in atmospheric temperatures. Some of this goes back to the 1930's and 40's when the first warming period came to an end around 1945.
Edited on 03-03-2018 22:56
03-03-2018 23:46
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

Empty words.

ITN,
Asking a question does not make me a bigot. If you want to use that as an excuse for your not doing more to have a life, then go ahead and use it then.

Actually it was 3 statements followed by a question.

1. I think this is your problem ITN.
2. As a Native American you cannot adapt to a changing world.
3. This requires thought on your part yet you hold others for your inability to be nothing more than a nuisance.

question....Can you show at what point the Great Spirit told you not to progress as a people?

Oh, and the entire post is thick with bigotry.
Edited on 03-03-2018 23:47
04-03-2018 01:17
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
James___ wrote:
The links are to 2 images from the U.S.G.S. earthquake search engine.
The first image shows earthquakes magnitude 4.5 or greater during the 1970's.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h6fuzQCHKXrz3T593

The 2nd shows earthquakes magnitude 4.5 or greater during the 2000's.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1qUfwKT8rVDFT8PH2

As shown the number of earthquakes magnitude 4.5 or greater increased from 122 to 206. That's an increase of 84.

In the 1970's there were 4 earthquakes magnitude 6.0 or greater. During the 2000's there were 6 magnitude 6.0 or greater earthquakes.
I have mentioned before that deep faults and hydrothermal vents can both open or close due to seismic activity. although I think in here that this would be of little interest. Hydrothermal events weren't discovered until the 1970's or 80's so there isn't much known about them or deep faults. I think it would be interesting to have the heat in currents to be followed back to it's source.
I think one day this will need to happen. litesong once posted a link where iridium was in the currents of the Arctic Ocean. If the iridium were followed back to it's source then most likely (IMO) they would find either a deep fault or a hydrothermal vent. and for those interested, iridium is in the platinum group of elements.
By using NASA's temperature globe and this search engine, there seems to be a relationship between 6.0 magnitude or greater earthquakes and changes in atmospheric temperatures. Some of this goes back to the 1930's and 40's when the first warming period came to an end around 1945.

I'm quoting myself to add the Greenland Sea abyss warming link. This is about the same time frame that I referenced.

Recent warming of the Greenland Sea Deep Water is about ten times higher than warming rates estimated for the global ocean. Scientists analyzed temperature data from 1950 to 2010 in the abyssal Greenland Sea, which is an ocean area located just to the south of the Arctic Ocean.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130925102833.htm
04-03-2018 02:28
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
James___ wrote:

..... I'm quoting myself to add the Greenland Sea abyss warming link......

You've noticed that in the article you linked to that there is an explanation for the warming and that there is nothing about earthquakes or any geothermal effect?
04-03-2018 20:17
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

..... I'm quoting myself to add the Greenland Sea abyss warming link......

You've noticed that in the article you linked to that there is an explanation for the warming and that there is nothing about earthquakes or any geothermal effect?

Once again textbooks are the end of learning. And when I watch the weather on t.v. they will say today that it is going to have a high of 46° F. or 8° C. That's all I need to know about the weather.
04-03-2018 23:43
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Anyone can make of this what they want. In the early 1920's there were 2 earthquakes greater than magnitude 6.0. It warmed around Greenland after those 2 earthquakes.
Then after 2 earthquakes in the early 1930's greater than 6.0 magnitude, it started cooling.
And with industrialization and urbanization, this might be the real Pandora's Box instead of my experiment.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YbesO3kqhJ87uscE2
Edited on 04-03-2018 23:47
16-03-2018 22:14
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

Empty words.

ITN,

3. This requires thought on your part yet you hold others for your inability to be nothing more than a nuisance.

question....Can you show at what point the Great Spirit told you not to progress as a people?

I find two things very interesting: litebrain claims to be of Indian ancestry. Out of the blue he claimed I threatened his wife when he had never mention that he had one before.

Now nightmare claims to be of Indian ancestry and also magically a wife pops out of the wings. And not just a wife but a Jewish one that tells him that Yiddish is just German.

Are we detecting a truth here? That litebrain and nightmare are really one and the same?
17-03-2018 18:44
(21559)
Wake wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
still learning wrote:
James___ wrote:

Empty words.

ITN,

I find two things very interesting: litebrain claims to be of Indian ancestry. Out of the blue he claimed I threatened his wife when he had never mention that he had one before.

You DID threaten his wife. You threatened him too. You have a violent nature, Wake.
Wake wrote:
Now nightmare claims to be of Indian ancestry and also magically a wife pops out of the wings. And not just a wife but a Jewish one that tells him that Yiddish is just German.

While I have some Indian ancestry, I am mostly Scot/Irish. I also have Polynesian ancestry. My wife is Jewish. She did not need to tell me Yiddish is just a dialect of German.
Wake wrote:
Are we detecting a truth here? That litebrain and nightmare are really one and the same?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You are getting as strange as litebeer and James!

The Parrot Killer

30-03-2018 02:28
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
James___ wrote:
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/search/

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/WorldOfChange/decadaltemp.php

Myself, I think using a "carbon footprint" or giving a specific value to CO2 and it's energy equivalent is the wrong way to discuss climate change. Conditions can be monitored and the effects of urbanization and industrialization can then be better quantified. An example of this is an asphalt road. It raises the temperature in it's immediate vicinity by up to 20° F. Then when the next year comes it is no longer considered to have an effect. A "carbon footprint" is based on fossil fuels consumed during a calendar year. At the same time, asphalt comes from fossil fuels.[url] https://www.britannica.com/science/asphalt-material[/url]

As Wake used to say, there is a heat island effect. By measuring the temperature starting from the center of a city and then moving outward until the city no longer influences atmospheric temperature, the heat absorbed, radiate or just released into the atmosphere would become known. Hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.
This is where considering the U.S.G.S. search engine along with NASA's decadal temperature anomaly graph might be of interest to some people. And as Wake said, I did have major surgery and will be needing more surgery so I should be taking things easy until I am healthy.

There are many papers around on the Urban Heat Island Effect. One of those papers is where I got the information that it disappears above certain wind speeds.

http://www.utsa.edu/lrsg/Teaching/EES5053_Geo4093/Labs/Wengetal.pdf

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/b2cc/22dca6ab3e9d6c7cf36fa72749c9c71749be.pdf

If you look about you can find quite a few since this is an easy subject to study and graduate students can easily gain hard data.

Join the debate Geology and Climate Change:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Geology625-02-2024 09:08
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact