Remember me
▼ Content

Disney World Orlando goes 'Green'

Disney World Orlando goes 'Green'19-04-2019 05:02
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
https://www.wftv.com/news/local/disney-now-able-to-operate-theme-parks-through-solar-energy/941427429

50 megawatts, half a million solar panels, and only 25% of their power needs...
Will need to find a more detailed story on this, like how many acres the solar farm takes up. Ths news story isn't quite clear on whether it's able to power all their parks, or just the Magic Kingdom. Disney runs a half dozen or so theme parks, besides the main one. They didn't give a cost of the solar project either. This is a good example of the size and scope of going green on a large scale. Only 25% of their usage, from what sounds like a very large investment in land and resources. Would definitely like to find the details, since you could use the numbers to estimate the cost, size, and scope of converting a city to solar. Think it pretty well shows what a huge waste solar is on a large scale, considering that 25% is only when the sun is shining.

Hope to never find out, since I live fairly close, how well this solar farm holds up to a hurricane or tornado. This installation is purely a PR stunt, since it doesn't provide enough power to actually keep the park open. Even if the expanded the solar farm to provide enough power, they couldn't afford to rely on it. One big storm would shut them down for weeks, while they repair and replace storm damaged panels. The sun in Florida can be brutal too, those solar panels won't last 10 years, before needing to be replaced, as their output drops off. Not sure how much people are willing to spend on park tickets, over $100 for single person, single day tickets now, but there is a price point. I wouldn't pay $50, many years ago... But then again, I rarely accept free tickets to go either, so that's not saying much. It's a short drive for me, and don't need a hotel, transportation, or any of the other things folks have to pay for, when coming to Florida for the Disney experience.
19-04-2019 14:43
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
On top of that, solar panels are toxic. Oh but I guess that's okay because CO2 is the evil.
20-04-2019 23:42
(5196)
No luck on finding out the cost, but found out this one is the biggest, 270 acres. That's about twice the size of Magic Kingdom. They also have a 22 acre, Mickey-shaped farm, and possibly two other small installations. Details are kind of confusing, mostly media spin. The price tag seems well hidden, or don't know where to look, but it's not a bragging point for the media (expensive). I strongly suspect that the output is painfully deficient, they invested too much, put a lot of spin for the media, and stuck on this road to no where.

I had hoped to find some factual figures, that could be scaled, based on energy demands. Wanted to estimate number of panels, cost, and acreage needed to go off the grid, for any home, business, or even a whole city. More than 270 acres, to provide 25% of a theme park's needs, half the size of the solar farm, isn't good numbers at all.
21-04-2019 19:24
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
On top of that, solar panels are toxic. Oh but I guess that's okay because CO2 is the evil.

What is toxic about a solar panel?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
21-04-2019 19:38
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Into the Night wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Google it.
21-04-2019 22:49
(5196)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Google it.

They aren't likely to contain any more toxic substances, than any other electronic device or battery, dumped into the landfills. Manufacturing, likely some toxic materials produced, some can be recycled or repurposed though, which is often overlooked. Dumping toxic was is expensive, either to do responsibly, or the fines for getting caught. The chemicals and materials are expensive too, so makes good sense to find another use, before resorting to dumping. The silicon is encased in glass, because it's very thin and brittle. Might be some heavy metals mixed in there, but not a lot, and not exposed, and the glass seals it pretty well, even when broken.

Now, most panels are made overseas, in countries that aren't as strict about environmental issues. Dumping byproducts in the rivers or ocean, might be a cheaper option...
22-04-2019 01:59
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Google it.

They aren't likely to contain any more toxic substances, than any other electronic device or battery, dumped into the landfills. Manufacturing, likely some toxic materials produced, some can be recycled or repurposed though, which is often overlooked. Dumping toxic was is expensive, either to do responsibly, or the fines for getting caught. The chemicals and materials are expensive too, so makes good sense to find another use, before resorting to dumping. The silicon is encased in glass, because it's very thin and brittle. Might be some heavy metals mixed in there, but not a lot, and not exposed, and the glass seals it pretty well, even when broken.

Now, most panels are made overseas, in countries that aren't as strict about environmental issues. Dumping byproducts in the rivers or ocean, might be a cheaper option...

Solar panels are like any other silicon chip. They are crystals of silicon, common sand. Doping uses things like arsenic, but literally atoms of it at a time.

The glass is also silicon, but not a crystal. It only serves to protect the crystal itself from physical damage.

Lead is a common metal. It is found naturally in the soil anywhere you go. It's only toxic if you eat it. Same with tin.

That's all the things are made of.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate Disney World Orlando goes 'Green':

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Green Hydrogen6115-09-2023 22:36
This is How the European Commission Classifies Nuclear Energy and Gas to Be 'Green'205-02-2022 04:07
Going "Green"16608-02-2021 00:40
Green Hydrogen Survey for scientific research602-12-2020 18:37
Climate change in green land4204-04-2020 00:41
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact