Remember me
▼ Content

Current storms around the globe


Current storms around the globe01-08-2017 14:48
Username1796534
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a website that shows at any given moment, live, where the world's most powerful storms happen. Do you know anything like that?
Thanks!!
02-08-2017 00:20
Wake
★★★★★
(2772)
Username1796534 wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a website that shows at any given moment, live, where the world's most powerful storms happen. Do you know anything like that?
Thanks!!


Firstly - what causes storms? The same thing that causes all weather - the temperature difference between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn and the poles and the spin of the earth.

As the earth has been recovering from the Little Ice Age since the end of the Dalton Minimum in the mid-1700's.

Here is a view of just how dramatic it was in the little Ice Age as the Thames froze hard as stone. And the people of Greenland fled back to Iceland which had better if not great conditions.

In any event because of the recovery often touted as "man-made global warming" the temperature differences between the poles and the equatorial regions are less and severe storms are lower as a consequence:



It is extremely important to understand that the true data that shows reductions in severe weather events is purposely hidden by NOAA and NASA who have the records on tap. These hide the fact by making the data readily available but in a form that very few people can either read or understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_hurricane_records

If you look at the bar chart near the bottom of the page you will see that there has been a measurable reduction in severe weather since 1950. This has been shown in all of the areas of severe weather around the globe.

https://www.weather.gov/ And other sites readily available on the web can give you present condition and predictions.
02-08-2017 03:19
Into the Night
★★★★★
(4531)
Wake wrote:
Username1796534 wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a website that shows at any given moment, live, where the world's most powerful storms happen. Do you know anything like that?
Thanks!!


Firstly - what causes storms? The same thing that causes all weather - the temperature difference between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn and the poles and the spin of the earth.

Actually, it's the difference of temperature between the surface and the upper atmosphere. Add a little water vapor to unstable air and viola! A storm. Unstable air occurs anywhere the air cools faster than the usual adiabatic lapse rate with altitude.

The difference between the equator (not the tropics) and the poles sets up the jetstreams, which the storms tend to follow along the equatorial side (they are horizontal tornadoes dragging the storms with them). The polar side is essentially a high most of the time, and storms avoid that area producing our band of deserts around the world and the typical polar high pressure areas.

Over the United States, the subtroprical jetstream typically follows an area near the 49th or 50th parallel but can wander north or south quite a bit following other highs or lows nearby.

Wake wrote:
It is extremely important to understand that the true data that shows reductions in severe weather events is purposely hidden by NOAA and NASA who have the records on tap. These hide the fact by making the data readily available but in a form that very few people can either read or understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_hurricane_records
[quote]Wake wrote:
If you look at the bar chart near the bottom of the page you will see that there has been a measurable reduction in severe weather since 1950.

There actually hasn't. This is another example of Wikipedia incompleteness and sloppy article writing.

Fortunately, history hurricane and tropical storm activity for the Atlantic hurricane area is available. The data shows there is no correlation whatsoever with hurricane and tropical storm activity against the smoothly rising CO2 concentration. That data can be viewed at http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/. They also have information for Pacific storms, but not as complete. These records are good back to 1949, when we first started flying aircraft into hurricanes to measure them. Data before that time tends to be anecdotal.
Wake wrote:
This has been shown in all of the areas of severe weather around the globe.

No one is measuring severe weather over the entire globe.
Wake wrote:
https://www.weather.gov/ And other sites readily available on the web can give you present condition and predictions.

Weather.gov does give you some information (especially for U.S. storms), but they do not report everything that is happening around the world.

There is no website that gives you the current position of all weather and storm activity around the world. Much of the world is still unobserved. It has no weather stations available. Satellites don't tell the whole story, although they can give you images of cloud cover and density of cloud. From this you can somewhat guess the precipitation coming from it at the time. We can also monitor lightning activity by watching sprite activity on the satellite systems.

There was a site called https://www.lightningmaps.org/ that showed real time lightning activity by using this method, but the server currently doesn't seem to be operating. Weather.com does have similar information, but it's not real time.


The Parrot Killer
02-08-2017 05:16
Wake
★★★★★
(2772)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
[quote]Username1796534 wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a website that shows at any given moment, live, where the world's most powerful storms happen. Do you know anything like that?
Thanks!!


Firstly - what causes storms? The same thing that causes all weather - the temperature difference between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn and the poles and the spin of the earth.

Actually, it's the difference of temperature between the surface and the upper atmosphere. Add a little water vapor to unstable air and viola! A storm. Unstable air occurs anywhere the air cools faster than the usual adiabatic lapse rate with altitude.

The difference between the equator (not the tropics) and the poles sets up the jetstreams, which the storms tend to follow along the equatorial side (they are horizontal tornadoes dragging the storms with them). The polar side is essentially a high most of the time, and storms avoid that area producing our band of deserts around the world and the typical polar high pressure areas.

Over the United States, the subtroprical jetstream typically follows an area near the 49th or 50th parallel but can wander north or south quite a bit following other highs or lows nearby.

Wake wrote:
It is extremely important to understand that the true data that shows reductions in severe weather events is purposely hidden by NOAA and NASA who have the records on tap. These hide the fact by making the data readily available but in a form that very few people can either read or understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_hurricane_records
Wake wrote:
If you look at the bar chart near the bottom of the page you will see that there has been a measurable reduction in severe weather since 1950.

There actually hasn't. This is another example of Wikipedia incompleteness and sloppy article writing.

Fortunately, history hurricane and tropical storm activity for the Atlantic hurricane area is available. The data shows there is no correlation whatsoever with hurricane and tropical storm activity against the smoothly rising CO2 concentration. That data can be viewed at http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/. They also have information for Pacific storms, but not as complete. These records are good back to 1949, when we first started flying aircraft into hurricanes to measure them. Data before that time tends to be anecdotal.
Wake wrote:
This has been shown in all of the areas of severe weather around the globe.

No one is measuring severe weather over the entire globe.
Wake wrote:
https://www.weather.gov/ And other sites readily available on the web can give you present condition and predictions.

Weather.gov does give you some information (especially for U.S. storms), but they do not report everything that is happening around the world.

There is no website that gives you the current position of all weather and storm activity around the world. Much of the world is still unobserved. It has no weather stations available. Satellites don't tell the whole story, although they can give you images of cloud cover and density of cloud. From this you can somewhat guess the precipitation coming from it at the time. We can also monitor lightning activity by watching sprite activity on the satellite systems.

There was a site called https://www.lightningmaps.org/ that showed real time lightning activity by using this method, but the server currently doesn't seem to be operating. Weather.com does have similar information, but it's not real time.


Wrong yet again. Almost identical weather patterns to those observed on earth have been modeled using nothing more than the spin and temperature differential. Just because you don't believe in convection doesn't mean that there is magic in the air.
02-08-2017 05:25
GasGuzzler
★★★☆☆
(810)
Actually, it's the difference of temperature between the surface and the upper atmosphere. Add a little water vapor to unstable air and viola! A storm. Unstable air occurs anywhere the air cools faster than the usual adiabatic lapse rate with altitude.


Well, I've had more than a few to drink tonight, but I thought I check in and see what went on today. ITN, you and Wake been going back and forth for months on things that I honestly haven't the knowledge to understand. That said, I'm 3 sheets to the wind and I can tell you're fullabull on this one.

Add a little water vapor to the unstable air and wala, storm??!! Yeah, drop some grass seed and wala, golf course. Dry air is stable air. Moist, humid air is unstable, but you need lift, a trigger to get that unstable air mass up into the cold dry to condense that warm moist air. What's the trigger? Cold front? Warm front? Speed shear? Directional shear? Dry line? Low pressure? Jet stream overhead? Speed max? Right entrance region to jet? Helicity? Nocturnal low level jet?
Cap in place?.... You don't just get a storm because you've got warm unstable air in place. Example was last week where I live, CAPE values were off the chart at 6000 J k/g. (temps were mid 90s F with dew points in the 80-82 range) 50,000 ft temps were around 0 C. Perfect fuel for wild storms. No storms. Why not?

I'll check back in when I'm sober, maybe ITN will make more sense then.
02-08-2017 05:38
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(155)
Username1796534 wrote:
....where the world's most powerful storms happen.....
Thanks!!


Maybe the WMO severe weather information center?
At http://severe.worldweather.org/

Interesting but not very practical are images from the DSCOVR:EPIC spacecraft out at the L1 position. Seehttps://epic.gsfc.nasa.gov/
02-08-2017 06:58
Into the Night
★★★★★
(4531)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
[quote]Username1796534 wrote:
Hey guys,
I'm looking for a website that shows at any given moment, live, where the world's most powerful storms happen. Do you know anything like that?
Thanks!!


Firstly - what causes storms? The same thing that causes all weather - the temperature difference between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn and the poles and the spin of the earth.

Actually, it's the difference of temperature between the surface and the upper atmosphere. Add a little water vapor to unstable air and viola! A storm. Unstable air occurs anywhere the air cools faster than the usual adiabatic lapse rate with altitude.

The difference between the equator (not the tropics) and the poles sets up the jetstreams, which the storms tend to follow along the equatorial side (they are horizontal tornadoes dragging the storms with them). The polar side is essentially a high most of the time, and storms avoid that area producing our band of deserts around the world and the typical polar high pressure areas.

Over the United States, the subtroprical jetstream typically follows an area near the 49th or 50th parallel but can wander north or south quite a bit following other highs or lows nearby.

Wake wrote:
It is extremely important to understand that the true data that shows reductions in severe weather events is purposely hidden by NOAA and NASA who have the records on tap. These hide the fact by making the data readily available but in a form that very few people can either read or understand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlantic_hurricane_records
Wake wrote:
If you look at the bar chart near the bottom of the page you will see that there has been a measurable reduction in severe weather since 1950.

There actually hasn't. This is another example of Wikipedia incompleteness and sloppy article writing.

Fortunately, history hurricane and tropical storm activity for the Atlantic hurricane area is available. The data shows there is no correlation whatsoever with hurricane and tropical storm activity against the smoothly rising CO2 concentration. That data can be viewed at http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/. They also have information for Pacific storms, but not as complete. These records are good back to 1949, when we first started flying aircraft into hurricanes to measure them. Data before that time tends to be anecdotal.
Wake wrote:
This has been shown in all of the areas of severe weather around the globe.

No one is measuring severe weather over the entire globe.
Wake wrote:
https://www.weather.gov/ And other sites readily available on the web can give you present condition and predictions.

Weather.gov does give you some information (especially for U.S. storms), but they do not report everything that is happening around the world.

There is no website that gives you the current position of all weather and storm activity around the world. Much of the world is still unobserved. It has no weather stations available. Satellites don't tell the whole story, although they can give you images of cloud cover and density of cloud. From this you can somewhat guess the precipitation coming from it at the time. We can also monitor lightning activity by watching sprite activity on the satellite systems.

There was a site called https://www.lightningmaps.org/ that showed real time lightning activity by using this method, but the server currently doesn't seem to be operating. Weather.com does have similar information, but it's not real time.


Wrong yet again. Almost identical weather patterns to those observed on earth have been modeled using nothing more than the spin and temperature differential. Just because you don't believe in convection doesn't mean that there is magic in the air.


A model is not data.

Why do you think I don't believe in convection?


The Parrot Killer
02-08-2017 07:10
Into the Night
★★★★★
(4531)
GasGuzzler wrote:
Actually, it's the difference of temperature between the surface and the upper atmosphere. Add a little water vapor to unstable air and viola! A storm. Unstable air occurs anywhere the air cools faster than the usual adiabatic lapse rate with altitude.


Well, I've had more than a few to drink tonight, but I thought I check in and see what went on today. ITN, you and Wake been going back and forth for months on things that I honestly haven't the knowledge to understand. That said, I'm 3 sheets to the wind and I can tell you're fullabull on this one.

Add a little water vapor to the unstable air and wala, storm??!!

That's right.
GasGuzzler wrote:
Yeah, drop some grass seed and wala, golf course.

Heh. Typically takes more work than that. I've played some courses where I swear that's all they did.

GasGuzzler wrote:
Dry air is stable air.

No necessarily. Stability has nothing to do with humidity.
GasGuzzler wrote:
Moist, humid air is unstable,

Not necessarily.
GasGuzzler wrote:
but you need lift,

That helps to get things going when the air is marginally stable.
GasGuzzler wrote:
a trigger to get that unstable air mass up into the cold dry to condense that warm moist air.

Such a trigger can get lower stable moisture up into unstable air.
GasGuzzler wrote:
What's the trigger? Cold front? Warm front? Speed shear? Directional shear? Dry line? Low pressure? Jet stream overhead? Speed max? Right entrance region to jet? Helicity? Nocturnal low level jet?

Mountains are the usual cause. Sometimes all you need is pavement to produce a hot spot.
GasGuzzler wrote:
Cap in place?.... You don't just get a storm because you've got warm unstable air in place.

Yes you do.
GasGuzzler wrote:
Example was last week where I live, CAPE values were off the chart at 6000 J k/g. (temps were mid 90s F with dew points in the 80-82 range)

Sounds lovely.
GasGuzzler wrote:
50,000 ft temps were around 0 C.

Sounds typical.
GasGuzzler wrote:
Perfect fuel for wild storms.

Not really. A lot depends on the lapse rate of air in between.
GasGuzzler wrote:
No storms. Why not?

Probably had a stable layer well below the 50000 ft layer. You certainly had the humidity to do it.
GasGuzzler wrote:
I'll check back in when I'm sober, maybe ITN will make more sense then.


Perhaps.

Air stability is all about the lapse rate (how fast the temperature drops as you gain altitude. Warm air and cold air are a bit like oil and water. They don't want to mix cleanly. This is why you get layers of clouds a lot of times.

The atmosphere has what is known as the adiabatic lapse rate. This is the usual rate of temperature drop with altitude gain. If the temperature drops faster (higher lapse rate), the warm below will rise faster and faster just like a hot air balloon. This is what powers the lift to produce a storm. If the air is humid, this rapid rise will cause a rapid condensation, towering cumulonimbus clouds, and storms.

If the temperature drops slower than the adiabatic rate (low lapse rate), the air is stable. Then, even if there is a lot of humidity around, nothing much happens. You might get some flat stratus type clouds out of it. If they produce precipitation, it will typically be drizzly and light.

Wind flowing over mountains can produce a lifting effect that will cause air to rise faster despite the lapse rate. This has the same effect as a higher lapse rate for any humidity floating around. This is why the windward side of mountains typically have rain and clouds and the leeward side is typically dry (air is descending on the other side).

It's all about how fast you get air to rise. Lapse rate is key. It is why storms are also referred to as convective activity.


The Parrot Killer
Edited on 02-08-2017 07:19
02-08-2017 15:27
Wake
★★★★★
(2772)
Into the Night wrote:

A model is not data.

Why do you think I don't believe in convection?


In this case the model has proven itself in direct prediction of conditions. But you don't believe in that either.

You obviously do not believe in convection because you think that it is vertical motion of air that causes weather. But you don't understand what I'm saying when I say that.

You are so screwed up that you would actually argue that the moon is made of green cheese.

There is a reason that most people will not answer your loony statements.
02-08-2017 20:23
Into the Night
★★★★★
(4531)
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

A model is not data.

Why do you think I don't believe in convection?


In this case the model has proven itself in direct prediction of conditions. But you don't believe in that either.

Models do not 'prove' themselves. Models are not data.
Wake wrote:
You obviously do not believe in convection because you think that it is vertical motion of air that causes weather. But you don't understand what I'm saying when I say that.

It is caused by the vertical movement of air, and the horizontal movement of air, and the slantwise movement of air, and the...
Wake wrote:
You are so screwed up that you would actually argue that the moon is made of green cheese.There is a reason that most people will not answer your loony statements.

Now you are just throwing insults again.


The Parrot Killer
03-08-2017 15:19
litesong
★★★★★
(2041)
"old sick silly sleepy sleezy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner gassed & guzzled" gushed: I've had more than a few to drink tonight... I honestly haven't the knowledge to understand.... you're fullabull... What's.... Cap in place?....Why....? I'll check back in when I'm sober....(

One of the best posts by "old sick silly sleepy sleezy slimy steenkin' filthy vile reprobate rooting (& rotting) racist pukey proud pig AGW denier liar whiner gassed & guzzled"..... while it was gassed & guzzling.
04-08-2017 17:04
Wake
★★★★★
(2772)
Into the Night wrote:
Wake wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

A model is not data.

Why do you think I don't believe in convection?


In this case the model has proven itself in direct prediction of conditions. But you don't believe in that either.

Models do not 'prove' themselves. Models are not data.
Wake wrote:
You obviously do not believe in convection because you think that it is vertical motion of air that causes weather. But you don't understand what I'm saying when I say that.

It is caused by the vertical movement of air, and the horizontal movement of air, and the slantwise movement of air, and the...
Wake wrote:
You are so screwed up that you would actually argue that the moon is made of green cheese.There is a reason that most people will not answer your loony statements.

Now you are just throwing insults again.


There is nothing to throw at you but insults. You know absolutely nothing about science or how it works. You have a Big Book of Big Words to Make Yourself Sound Intelligent and all you do is copy rediculous words out of that and act as if you know how to use them.




Join the debate Current storms around the globe:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
I propose a weeks silence - due to the current outbreak of Socialism in Ventura CA.007-12-2017 08:18
Heaven Forbid - It's Warming - We may leave our current Ice Age8211-08-2017 02:23
You have no proof an atmosphere of 100% oxygen is not as effective as the current atmosphere in trapping 1125-09-2016 07:46
the current crop of climate scientists are going to be fired205-05-2016 16:11
..Dynamic and Static globe models of the Earth128-09-2015 20:12
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Will Arctic summers be ice-free in this century?

Yes

No

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2017 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact