Remember me
▼ Content

Creating coal from CO2 - undoing fossil fuel burning to save the climate

Creating coal from CO2 - undoing fossil fuel burning to save the climate04-03-2019 23:00
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/mar-2-2019-the-goodness-paradox-secrets-in-poop-converting-carbon-to-coal-and-more-1.5037008/creating-coal-from-co2-undoing-fossil-fuel-burning-to-save-the-climate-1.5037028
04-03-2019 23:45
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/mar-2-2019-the-goodness-paradox-secrets-in-poop-converting-carbon-to-coal-and-more-1.5037008/creating-coal-from-co2-undoing-fossil-fuel-burning-to-save-the-climate-1.5037028

Do you suppose that someone should explain the laws of thermodynamics to them? You expend more energy to retrieve CO2 from the atmosphere than was expended to make it.

None of the "Renewable Energy" projects make the energy that was expended to build, install and maintain them.

Now these sorts of project ARE useful. For instance - in central Africa they have a lot of wind. This can supply the electricity or direct drive to power water pumps that are absolutely necessary for the farming.

Solar power is a whole lot less practical because it requires HUGE tracts of land that cannot be used for anything else. Much more practical are the sorts of solar energy collectors that use parabolic mirrors to focus on water boilers and use the steam to power generators. But these are only practical in low latitude countries. And the land around windmill farms or solar farms is unusable.

The problems are that the scientifically illiterate are the ones pretending to know things about "climate change" that simply are not true. You cannot use mob rule to "save the Earth" that does not need saving.
Edited on 04-03-2019 23:48
05-03-2019 02:31
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
Wake wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

Do you suppose that someone should explain the laws of thermodynamics to them? You expend more energy to retrieve CO2 from the atmosphere than was expended to make it.
The idea is to use solar or wind energy to provide that power, Wake.
Of course, that means you don't have the power for anything else...
Wake wrote:
None of the "Renewable Energy" projects make the energy that was expended to build, install and maintain them.

The old style windmills that you see on farms and other areas (you know, those old metal ones), are cheap and reliable. They are most often used to pump water.
Wake wrote:
Now these sorts of project ARE useful. For instance - in central Africa they have a lot of wind. This can supply the electricity or direct drive to power water pumps that are absolutely necessary for the farming.

It's easier to just pump the water, and that's what they generally do.
Wake wrote:
Solar power is a whole lot less practical because it requires HUGE tracts of land that cannot be used for anything else. Much more practical are the sorts of solar energy collectors that use parabolic mirrors to focus on water boilers and use the steam to power generators. But these are only practical in low latitude countries. And the land around windmill farms or solar farms is unusable.

One parabolic style solar plant is operating in the United States, and two operate in California.

The U.S. one is the Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Project: a 110 MW one-tower project located in Nevada.

The California ones are the Ivanpah Solar Power Facility: a 392 MW three-tower project with generation capacities of 126 MW, 133 MW, and 133 MW located in Ivanpah Dry Lake, California, and the Sierra Sun Tower: a 5 MW two-tower project located in the Mojave Desert in Southern California.

The Nevada site uses molten salt instead of water. The salt is pumped to boilers on the ground. It's a more efficient design. The Dry Lake tower is also salt based. The Mojave Desert one is water based.
Wake wrote:
The problems are that the scientifically illiterate are the ones pretending to know things about "climate change" that simply are not true. You cannot use mob rule to "save the Earth" that does not need saving.

Though they try. They can't even define 'climate change' to begin with or describe why any current temperature of the Earth is 'abnormal' (as if they could measure it!).

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
05-03-2019 04:45
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
Just out of curiosity... How do people keep all those solar panels relatively clean. They aren't very efficient to begin with, and it doesn't take much dust and bird crap to reduce them to near useless. I've got a few small panels, that charge small SLA batteries, mostly power LED lights. Several times a year, I notice the batteries aren't getting fully charged in a day, even though we were having mostly clear skies. So, I climb up on the roof, find the panels covered in dust and pollen (oak trees). Give a good cleaning, and they are okay for a few months. I suppose, if I doubled or tripled the number of panels, probably wouldn't need to clean them so often, but not really worth the expense. Sort of why I never went to a larger setup, that and large SLA batteries are expensive. Only had one storm, that put out the power long enough to make coffee over a propane burner, but power was back on, before the coffee was ready...
05-03-2019 20:59
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Just out of curiosity... How do people keep all those solar panels relatively clean. They aren't very efficient to begin with, and it doesn't take much dust and bird crap to reduce them to near useless. I've got a few small panels, that charge small SLA batteries, mostly power LED lights. Several times a year, I notice the batteries aren't getting fully charged in a day, even though we were having mostly clear skies. So, I climb up on the roof, find the panels covered in dust and pollen (oak trees). Give a good cleaning, and they are okay for a few months. I suppose, if I doubled or tripled the number of panels, probably wouldn't need to clean them so often, but not really worth the expense. Sort of why I never went to a larger setup, that and large SLA batteries are expensive. Only had one storm, that put out the power long enough to make coffee over a propane burner, but power was back on, before the coffee was ready...

Maintenance is actually worse than that, especially in dry environments (where there's lots of sunlight!).

Yes, you have to clean them. Most people who privately own them don't. It's actually a dangerous job. These things can put out voltage sufficient to be like cleaning an electric fence, plus the panels are slick, large, and too difficult to get to. Some people use leaf blowers on them or try to sweep debris off of them.

Power plant folks do a regular cleaning cycle on them, moving from panel to panel on a continuous basis. That, however, does not stop the other problem: dust abrasion.

Dry areas can be windy. Dust arises and is blown on the wind, which scratches the surface of the panel. Over time this effectively fogs the panel, reducing its effectiveness. There is no treatment for this. The panel or mirror must be replaced.

In addition, the panel ages, also reducing its effectiveness over time. The reason is a kind of corrosion of the P-N junction itself (it's also why DVD burners eventually just can't burn properly anymore, though they can still read for awhile).

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
Edited on 05-03-2019 21:00
05-03-2019 21:50
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5196)
They picked this up over on Hack-A-Day...

https://hackaday.com/2019/03/04/reducing-carbon-emissions-with-coal/
The comments are amusing, those kids are so clueless about the real world. Think they medicate and recreate a little too much...

Join the debate Creating coal from CO2 - undoing fossil fuel burning to save the climate:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Using fossil fuel is mass murder.!?3304-02-2024 08:12
Why exactly is strip mining for coal bad, yet strip mining for Lithium is good923-12-2023 00:11
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
Only The Old Religions Can Save This Civilization From Total Collapse Destruction003-11-2023 02:36
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact