Remember me
▼ Content

COP21 Climate Summit and carbon tax

COP21 Climate Summit and carbon tax29-11-2015 11:30
Madison
☆☆☆☆☆
(22)
We will probably hear a lot about CO2 reductions, carbon trading and not binding targets. But why not talk about the most simple solution: A global CO2 tax as proposed by James Hansen and many other inteligent scientists?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.
29-11-2015 13:06
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
Madison wrote:
But why not talk about the most simple solution: A global CO2 tax as proposed by James Hansen and many other inteligent scientists?

I'm familiar with some of James Hansen's work and proposals, don't recall anything about a global CO2 tax.
Hansen has advocated a fee-and-dividend scheme where fossil fuels are a fee or tax is imposed at the first point of sale or the point of entry into the US, with the fee/tax being entirely distributed equally to adult residnts to offset the higher prices resulting from the fee/tax.
See http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/2009/WaysAndMeans_20090225.pdf

Don't think anybody's proposed a global tax, there's no entity that has that kind of taxation power. Instead, every country imposes it's own scheme to control CO2, or not. Not a simple thing to get over a hundred countries to co-operate.
29-11-2015 13:10
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
Madison wrote:
We will probably hear a lot about CO2 reductions, carbon trading and not binding targets. But why not talk about the most simple solution: A global CO2 tax as proposed by James Hansen and many other inteligent scientists?

It has. Such a tax of course is an attempt to modify behavior through taxation. It won't work.

Such a tax is really only a form of theft. It does nothing to mitigate the questionable 'harm' that carbon dioxide does, no alternative sources of fuel are possible or practical, 'green' energy sources like wind and solar cannot produce anywhere near sufficient power, especially when considering their cost per watt, and nukes are unpopular as well as limited to fixed power plants (not mobile). Carbon taxes simply add to the cost of the available fuels, making industry more expensive and possibly non-competitive, shutting down businesses.

All such a tax does is cause misery, not a better climate at all.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
30-11-2015 23:59
Bart1963
☆☆☆☆☆
(1)
Though if money is involved, things change rapidly... Cost of fossil energy can be increased with a tax per kg CO2! As a consquense there is no more need to subsidies the so called alternatieve sources of energy.
The amount per kg should be equal for all participants. Countries who do not participatie can be punished by import Duties
We only need a small cost increased to get things moving .

The system is more simple than VAT! The money gouvernements collect, will have to be used for social corrections.
01-12-2015 00:43
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14377)
Madison wrote:

It has been discussed for roughly ever.

CO2 is not a problem.

The only purpose for a tax would be to attack capitalism in an attempt to destroy the global economy.

1) Jim Hansen is a fraud; only ignorant dupes think he is an intelligent "scientist."

2) only ignorant dupes would consider Hansen to be a wise economist. Ther's a reason Albert Einstein never won any economics awards.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
01-12-2015 00:47
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14377)
Bart1963 wrote:
Though if money is involved, things change rapidly... Cost of fossil energy can be increased with a tax per kg CO2! As a consquense there is no more need to subsidies the so called alternatieve sources of energy.
The amount per kg should be equal for all participants. Countries who do not participatie can be punished by import Duties

The system is more simple than VAT! The money gouvernements collect, will have to be used for social corrections.

I can think of someone else who isn't exactly a genius at economics.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
23-12-2015 00:01
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
There will be no carbon tax.
23-12-2015 12:26
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Bart1963 wrote:

You hate poor people don't you.

Granny cannot afford to live in the house she has lived in for 50 years because she will freeze and you don't care.

Putting a tax on fuel means that the poor will pay the same as the rich. They can afford it. The poor cannot.

What exactly do you think is so bad about a slightly warmer world?

Join the debate COP21 Climate Summit and carbon tax:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems82709-02-2024 03:41
Happy fourth of July. I wonder how many liberals are eating carbon cooked burgers106-07-2023 23:52
Uses for solid carbon3006-07-2023 23:51
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Wetlands9623-06-2023 14:49
Biden wants to force 'carbon capture'821-06-2023 12:55
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact