Remember me
▼ Content

Climate Change effects on reptile taxa in Chile!!

Climate Change effects on reptile taxa in Chile!!02-01-2016 02:55
crotophytus
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
PLEASE check out the GoFundMe for this groundbreaking research being done in Chile!

"Cassie's Volunteer Trip to Chile"
https://www.gofundme.com/g9h3xbr8

Chilean Volunteer Research Trip--Save the Lizards!
A few months ago, I was offered the experience of a lifetime, a 10 week research internship in Chile! Working with Dr. Stanley Fox of Oklahoma State University, we will be looking at climate-induced upwards range shifts of Liolaemus (montane lizards in the Andes) species. Basically we will be ascertaining how climate change has affected the distribution of lizard populations.

Climate Change Implications
In the past century mean global surface temperature increased almost 1°C and by the end of this century the average surface temperature of the Earth will probably increase 1.1-6.4°C. Climate change has not only negatively affected humans across the globe, but many animals in all sorts of biomes and ecosystems. Ectotherms (cold-blooded organisms), such as lizards, have revealed the negative side-effects to climate change and are especially vulnerable.

Amphibian and reptile species may gradually move to different elevations as a result of increased temperatures, often shrinking their distributions in the process (less surface area the further up a mountain you go). The topmost species are even more vulnerable, as they have "nowhere to go." This scenario has already been happeing with lizards in Mexico, and modeled for other species throughout the world, including South America. With the increase of global temperatures, extinction rates are expected to rapidly increase.

Chile Lizard Research
Chile is home to about 130 species of lizards, which mainly inhabit the mountainous regions of the Andes. To date it is unknown if global warming has affected the lizard fauna in Central Chile as it has in the Northern Hemisphere, making it a perfect place to conduct this type of research as it is an extremely mountainous country with an impressive diversity of lizards.

The goal of this reserach is to pinpoint what species (at what locations) are shifting their elevations upward as a result of rapid increasing ambient temperatures. These results should apply to other lizard species facing similar conditions thorughout the Andes and other temperate ecosystems.
02-01-2016 03:25
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14390)
crotophytus wrote:Climate Change Implications
In the past century mean global surface temperature increased almost 1°C and by the end of this century the average surface temperature of the Earth will probably increase 1.1-6.4°C.

The sun's magnetic field is weakening and solar output is decreasing. Temperatures will be inching downward for another twenty years at least.

crotophytus wrote: Climate change has not only negatively affected humans across the globe, but many animals in all sorts of biomes and ecosystems.

No one can identify this "climate change" thing. If I point to something there's no way say if it's "climate change" or "not climate change."

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
02-01-2016 03:35
crotophytus
☆☆☆☆☆
(2)
No one can identify this "climate change" thing. If I point to something there's no way say if it's "climate change" or "not climate change."

.[/quote]
Attached image:

Edited on 02-01-2016 03:39
02-01-2016 07:50
(14390)
crotophytus wrote:

That's awesome! A graph! I bet you got it off the internet, which means it's true, accurate, meaningful...all that.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
Edited on 02-01-2016 07:50
02-01-2016 19:49
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
In the past century mean global surface temperature increased almost 1°C and by the end of this century the average surface temperature of the Earth will probably increase 1.1-6.4°C.

This is a totally unsupported claim. There is no science which supports this(+6.4c) what so ever.

Thus the man is lying.

Edited on 02-01-2016 19:50
02-01-2016 20:05
(14390)
Tim the plumber wrote:
This is a totally unsupported claim. There is no science which supports this(+6.4c) what so ever.

Thus the man is lying.

You are onto something.

Humanity still cannot measure the average global atmospheric temperature to an accuracy anywhere near that, much less make such a determination for any point in the history of the planet.

Any claims involving earth's average global atmospheric temperature, whether they be claims of absolute temperature or claims of temperature change, are obviously lies.

Good catch.

Now the only questions that need be asked are 1) why people still believe they can accurately ascertain the average global atmospheric temperature and 2) why they believe that atmospheric composition is a factor when science says otherwise.

04-01-2016 08:00
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21588)
IBdaMann wrote:
Now the only questions that need be asked are 1) why people still believe they can accurately ascertain the average global atmospheric temperature and 2) why they believe that atmospheric composition is a factor when science says otherwise.

1) Because the propagandists keep telling them so.

2) Because the propagandists keep telling them so.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan

Join the debate Climate Change effects on reptile taxa in Chile!!:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Climate change - effects, impact and solutions3417-08-2023 08:19
volcanic effects on acid rain806-02-2021 19:40
Doctors to study possible long-term effects on patients that died from COVID-19428-08-2020 06:09
Will Warm Winters Balance Out The Effects Of Greenhouse Gases?1410-02-2020 18:23
What effects global temperature2825-03-2019 03:41
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact