Remember me
▼ Content

Christopher Columbus sailed into the unknown and discovered the New World. He should be our idol.

Christopher Columbus sailed into the unknown and discovered the New World. He should be our idol.11-01-2016 20:46
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
I say, let's increase CO2 to 1000 ppm as the distinguished Dr. William Happer suggests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lye5liWuZw
Edited on 11-01-2016 21:33
RE: Christopher Columbus sailed into the unknown and discovered the New World. Why should man fear nature?11-01-2016 21:22
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
To be fair, from ancient Greek books, Columbus had a pretty good idea the Earth is not flat. But hey, so do we have a pretty good idea life thrived when Earth had 1000 ppm of CO2. How? We have proxies, fossils, and other ancient records

The point I'm trying to make is, once we conquer our own fears and go for it, good times will be ahead. Good times

Think about it. CO2 increased 43% since 1800. Crops use 43% less water. If this were 1800, millions in California would have perished from the drought because they wouldn't have had enough water for their crops. Indeed, their lives were saved thanks to increased CO2.
Edited on 11-01-2016 21:24
11-01-2016 23:24
still learning
★★☆☆☆
(244)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

...Think about it. CO2 increased 43% since 1800. Crops use 43% less water....

I have not seen that 43% less water claim before. Or any less water at all.

Please point to evidence that it's true.
11-01-2016 23:38
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
still learning wrote:
Tai Hai Chen wrote:

...Think about it. CO2 increased 43% since 1800. Crops use 43% less water....

I have not seen that 43% less water claim before. Or any less water at all.

Please point to evidence that it's true.

The more CO2 in the air, the less stomata plants open in their leaves to take in CO2, the less water loss through evaporation, so the less water requirement.

http://www.plantsneedco2.org/default.aspx?menuitemid=329

Dr. Happer also explains this starting 9 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcsSn7ehZ1g
Edited on 11-01-2016 23:53
12-01-2016 00:47
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21592)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
To be fair, from ancient Greek books, Columbus had a pretty good idea the Earth is not flat. But hey, so do we have a pretty good idea life thrived when Earth had 1000 ppm of CO2. How? We have proxies, fossils, and other ancient records

The point I'm trying to make is, once we conquer our own fears and go for it, good times will be ahead. Good times

Think about it. CO2 increased 43% since 1800. Crops use 43% less water. If this were 1800, millions in California would have perished from the drought because they wouldn't have had enough water for their crops. Indeed, their lives were saved thanks to increased CO2.

Columbus wouln't have sailed if he thought the world was flat. The purpose of the voyage was to find a trade route to eastern Asia without having to go through Constantinople. He missed. Almost exactly where they thought Asia would be, they found America instead.

He knew the world was round, he just didn't know how big it was.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
12-01-2016 00:48
Tai Hai Chen
★★★★☆
(1085)
Into the Night wrote:
Columbus wouln't have sailed if he thought the world was flat. The purpose of the voyage was to find a trade route to eastern Asia without having to go through Constantinople. He missed. Almost exactly where they thought Asia would be, they found America instead.

No one at the time was sure if the Earth was flat or round. That was the middle ages. Columbus took a gamble because he believed in the ancient Greek texts.
Edited on 12-01-2016 00:49
12-01-2016 00:59
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21592)
Tai Hai Chen wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

No one at the time was sure if the Earth was flat or round. That was the middle ages. Columbus took a gamble because he believed in the ancient Greek texts.

Yes. They were sure of it. They already knew the Moon was round. They also already knew the sun was round.

Since the purpose of the voyage was to sail east by going west, that could only be concluded if they knew the world was round in the first place.

Amerigo Vespucci, the navigator, was a student of Ptolemy. The new continent was named America in honor of his work.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
12-01-2016 20:08
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14397)
Into the Night wrote: Yes. They were sure of it. They already knew the Moon was round. They also already knew the sun was round.

Quite correct. Columbus was mistaken about the size of the earth, but a popular lore has it that he intentionally (knowingly) understated the size to improve the sell to Ferdinand (i.e. "This will be a cakewalk, it's just over the horizon there!").

So after convincing Spain to fund his ships, Christopher Columbus took a well deserved vacation to the Bahamas.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist

Join the debate Christopher Columbus sailed into the unknown and discovered the New World. He should be our idol.:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Illegal Chinese-linked biolab filled with mice, medical waste discovered in California002-08-2023 01:57
Christopher Monckton Climate Sensitivity3020-04-2017 01:13
Christopher Monckton's Papers1126-03-2017 12:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact