Remember me
▼ Content

Cause of global warming: melting glaciers.

Cause of global warming: melting glaciers.25-04-2019 03:51
dehammer
★★★☆☆
(480)
Many people think that the rising temperatures are causing the glaciers to melt, and in a way they are, but not the way they think.

Centuries ago, we entered the little ice age and for reasons that can be debated, the temperature fell. It cant be denied that it happened. There is evidence of it on all continents and in every ocean. The result was that when snow fell on mountains during the winter, it could not melt off as much during the summer and thus the glaciers advanced.

Then the little ice age ended and the cause disappeared. The result is that the land around the ice heated up more during the summer and melted the ice faster than it could grow. As the ice melted, it warmed up by the sun to the temperature of the ocean.

That's a large amount of energy per each ton of water, going from ice to ocean temperature. IF you were to compare the amount of ice melted multiplied by the energy difference, then compare that to the energy the earth needed to warm up in the time frame you are using to measure the ice, you would be surprised at the connections. I will let you find it.

You will understand it better that way.
25-04-2019 17:46
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
dehammer wrote:
Many people think that the rising temperatures are causing the glaciers to melt, and in a way they are, but not the way they think.

Centuries ago, we entered the little ice age and for reasons that can be debated, the temperature fell. It cant be denied that it happened. There is evidence of it on all continents and in every ocean. The result was that when snow fell on mountains during the winter, it could not melt off as much during the summer and thus the glaciers advanced.

Then the little ice age ended and the cause disappeared. The result is that the land around the ice heated up more during the summer and melted the ice faster than it could grow. As the ice melted, it warmed up by the sun to the temperature of the ocean.

That's a large amount of energy per each ton of water, going from ice to ocean temperature. IF you were to compare the amount of ice melted multiplied by the energy difference, then compare that to the energy the earth needed to warm up in the time frame you are using to measure the ice, you would be surprised at the connections. I will let you find it.

You will understand it better that way.

You really like to build perpetual motions machines, don't you?

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-04-2019 03:05
dehammer
★★★☆☆
(480)
You have no clue what a perpetual machine is.
26-04-2019 03:18
(21597)
dehammer wrote:
You have no clue what a perpetual machine is.

But I do. It is YOU that doesn't.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
26-04-2019 03:40
dehammer
★★★☆☆
(480)
Actually, it was part of my science classes in the 1970's. I don't blame you, they corrupted the science to stop actually teaching it years ago.

"Perpetual motion is motion of bodies that continues indefinitely. A perpetual motion machine is a hypothetical machine that can do work indefinitely without an energy source. " Wikipedia.

You might have been taught that gravity is not a force of nature, i.e. energy, but it is a fact that it is.
26-04-2019 04:32
(21597)
dehammer wrote:
Actually, it was part of my science classes in the 1970's. I don't blame you, they corrupted the science to stop actually teaching it years ago.
It was already corrupted in the 70's.
dehammer wrote:
"Perpetual motion is motion of bodies that continues indefinitely. A perpetual motion machine is a hypothetical machine that can do work indefinitely without an energy source. " Wikipedia.

Which is what your magickal machine does.
dehammer wrote:
You might have been taught that gravity is not a force of nature, i.e. energy, but it is a fact that it is.

No. It is a force of nature. It has never been energy.

The Parrot Killer

26-04-2019 05:16
dehammer
★★★☆☆
(480)
What ever you think. good luck with ww3 comrade.
24-07-2019 07:41
tmiddlesProfile picture★★★★★
(3979)
dehammer wrote:
Centuries ago, we entered the little ice age...
Then the little ice age ended

This really should always be included in every analysis of "warmest ever" , "least ice" and so on.

Come back dehammer!
24-07-2019 11:07
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Yeah, like mankind is all powerful. We created CO2, We created global warming, and we created the solution to global time travel... Truth is that there has always been CO2, the planet warms and cools, and nothing stays the same, and no going back. We didn't do nothing...

Man needs to feel powerful, in control, but afraid to show any weakness. Pure fantasy to think we have the power to transform the world. When some people don't know things, they guess, or make something. Rather than admit they don't know, they lie. Those lies become obsession , since they grow and become difficult to keep feeding it.
24-07-2019 12:12
(3979)
HarveyH55 wrote:Rather than admit they don't know, they lie.

So so true!!! The world's oldest and most popular religion is Knowitallism

But! We can totally influence the planet. I worry most about the genetic roulette Monsanto plays
24-07-2019 17:10
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14407)
tmiddles wrote:But! We can totally influence the planet.

Totally? The planet?

Why haven't we "totally influenced" the planet into a more preferable orbit?

Why haven't we "totally influenced" any of those terrible hurricanes into not damaging vast amounts of property (and killing people)?

Why haven't we ever "totally influenced" those pesky erupting volcanoes into just holding it all in?

Why haven't we "totally influenced" all the deserts into being rain-filled paradises?

Have we just been avoiding using our influential superpowers?

tmiddles wrote: I worry most about the genetic roulette Monsanto plays

Could you explain this concern, or is this just another undefined and unsupported religious boogeyman?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
25-07-2019 00:11
(3979)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Man needs to feel powerful,

Yeah I think that it's dual motives of escaping fear and egoism
25-07-2019 01:09
(5197)
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:Rather than admit they don't know, they lie.

So so true!!! The world's oldest and most popular religion is Knowitallism

But! We can totally influence the planet. I worry most about the genetic roulette Monsanto plays

I don't know all of what Monsanto does, beside Round-Up, but that's what's in the news, even frequent TV solicitations for victims to join the lawsuit. Doubt the company is guilty of anything, accept being a profitable company, with an effective product. I've used Round-Up, since I was a teenager, still in great health, and didn't following any of the safety directions. I was always careful to not get the concentrate on me, and wash up after using it. A lot of stuff can be hazardous, if handle improperly, and you don't clean up. Many things we come in contact with daily, 'may' cause cancer, but few people actually do. Out of the millions of Round-Up users, there aren't that many claiming the settlement prize. Believe this one is more of a lawyer thing. Sort of guessing that one of the competitors funded the lawsuit as well, since I've yet to find a replacement, that works half as well. Bayer Brush Killer works okay, but need to apply two or three times. Scrub oak is very hard to kill, so not faulting the products, but Round-Up did the trick, with one spraying.
25-07-2019 01:40
(3979)
Edited on 25-07-2019 02:03
25-07-2019 01:54
(21597)
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
I don't know all of what Monsanto does, beside Round-Up,

Yeah it's not the pesticide part of it. That's old news and they have plenty of company there.

They alter the DNA of plants so they are "Round up" resitant as well as so there is no planting seed produced so farmers must buy it every year.

Example of something they do:
"DvSnf7 dsRNA is an unusual insecticide. You don't spray it on crops. Instead, you encode instructions for manufacturing it in the DNA of the crop itself. If a pesky western corn rootworm comes munching, the plant's self-made DvSnf7 dsRNA disrupts a critical rootworm gene and kills the pest. "

So you can eat that, yum!

Maybe it's OK? Maybe not. Monsanto will roll the dice for you.

Plant DNA has been altered since we first began farming. That's nothing new.
Potato plants used to be carnivorous. That was bred out them to get a larger potato. Now we are trying to breed that back into them and still keep the larger potato. Monsanto isn't even involved in that one!

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 25-07-2019 01:55
25-07-2019 02:03
(3979)
HarveyH55 wrote:

Yeah it's not the pesticide part of it. That's old news and they have plenty of company there.

They alter the DNA of plants so they are "Round up" resitant as well as so there is no planting seed produced so farmers must buy it every year.

"DvSnf7 dsRNA is an unusual insecticide. You don't spray it on crops. Instead, you encode instructions for manufacturing it in the DNA of the crop itself. If a pesky western corn rootworm comes munching, the plant's self-made DvSnf7 dsRNA disrupts a critical rootworm gene and kills the pest. "

25-07-2019 02:21
(5197)
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:

Yeah GMO stuff has been around for a longtime, mostly kept hushed, because people are a little scared of things they don't understand. A lot of food crops have been modified to produce more, and stand up better to poor growing conditions (heat, cold, drought...). Sterilizing the plants, so they can't reproduce, has been a common practice as well. Spend a lot of time and money developing a superior product to sell, you don't people making their own, and sharing with family and friends.
25-07-2019 02:37
(3979)
HarveyH55 wrote:
[
Yeah GMO stuff has been around for a longtime, s.

Asbestos was around for a long time too

Fingers crossed we don't pay a big price for the fire Monsanto's playing with.

I don't see the risk/reward justifying it. We aren't short on food.

I don't want to eat irradiated shit, literally, either.
Edited on 25-07-2019 02:39
25-07-2019 03:23
(21597)
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
[

Asbestos was around for a long time too

What's wrong with asbestos?
tmiddles wrote:
Fingers crossed we don't pay a big price for the fire Monsanto's playing with.
What fire? Monsanto is doing nothing that is dangerous.
tmiddles wrote:
I don't see the risk/reward justifying it. We aren't short on food.
Thanks largely to Monsanto and other companies like them.
tmiddles wrote:
I don't want to eat irradiated shit, literally, either.

No one is making you eat shit. If that's your taste, well, you have bigger problems than radiation!

The Parrot Killer

25-07-2019 06:49
(3979)
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
[

It is worth noting that there are naturally occuring threats. But to have a company like Monsanto playing games with the ecosystem for what amounts to a small profit is stupid. It's similar to allowing Teflon to be made and other gross abuses.
Edited on 25-07-2019 06:49
25-07-2019 15:46
(14407)
tmiddles wrote: But to have a company like Monsanto playing games with the ecosystem for what amounts to a small profit is stupid.

You are a Marxist. You want the global economy to collapse. You think doing anything for a profit is wrong.

At least you were clear and specific about Monsanto's wrongdoing instead of simply trying to generate fear and panic by being vague and unclear, right?

What exactly do you mean by "playing games with the ecosystem" anyway?

tmiddles wrote: It's similar to allowing Teflon to be made and other gross abuses.

Teflon is a gross abuse?

Oh, that's right, you're a Marxist who begrudges anyone being successful and who HATES nice things that make life better for humanity.

Nevermind.

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
25-07-2019 15:49
(3979)
dehammer wrote:

In case you ever return Dehammer

So if gravity is a perpetual source on energy you could in theory harness it beyond hydro electric dams?

25-07-2019 17:38
(14407)
tmiddles wrote: So if gravity is a perpetual source on energy you could in theory harness it beyond hydro electric dams?

Under the category of "Trying to Educate Marxists United in Solidarity Against Science" ...

... Gravity is not energy ... it is a force of nature. Gravity can be utilized to help convert energy from one form into another.

I'll help you out: For something to be a source of energy it must be performing work. Gravity performs no work and therefore cannot be a source of energy.

A dam, on the other hand, can utilize gravity to establish potential energy in water and to convert that potential into kinetic energy that performs work on the dam that converts that work into (generates) electrical energy.

Without the work, the kinetic energy would not be converted to electrical energy. Gravity is not the energy. Gravity is the force of nature that drives the work.

25-07-2019 18:34
(21597)
tmiddles wrote:
tmiddles wrote:
HarveyH55 wrote:
[

It is worth noting that there are naturally occuring threats. But to have a company like Monsanto playing games with the ecosystem for what amounts to a small profit is stupid. It's similar to allowing Teflon to be made and other gross abuses.

What's wrong with Teflon? Monsanto is not playing games with any 'ecosystem'. They simply make better seeds. There is not a single thing dangerous about any of them.

The Parrot Killer

25-07-2019 18:35
(21597)
tmiddles wrote:
dehammer wrote:

In case you ever return Dehammer

So if gravity is a perpetual source on energy you could in theory harness it beyond hydro electric dams?

Gravity is not energy. It's a force. A force is not energy.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate Cause of global warming: melting glaciers.:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
FASTER GLACIER MELTING MECHANISM COULD CAUSE HUGE SEA LEVEL RISES420-05-2023 19:54
How do and did glaciers change the landscape9307-12-2022 16:52
Deadly Glaciers1431-03-2021 04:54
"GREENLANDS melting ice may affect everyone"922-10-2019 23:17
Oh No! Greenland is Melting, at an alarming rate...1324-08-2019 02:52
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact