Remember me
▼ Content

carbon footprint

Page 3 of 5<12345>
06-06-2019 22:52
IBdaMannProfile picture★★★★★
(14378)
keepit wrote:
I just looked up SB law and Black body radiation in my Phillips Astronomy Encyclopedia. It uses the phrase "idealized black body". The earth isn't an idealized black body. Look what happened on Venus.

I'll teach you some physics.

An "idealized black body" is also known as a "perfect black body" and is merely a theoretical limit, like absolute zero as a temperture; it does not exist in reality. We still have temperatures in nature though, and none of them are absolute zero. Similarly, all bodies, including the earth, and baseballs, and carbon atoms, and patio furniture are black bodies, and none of them are perfect black bodies.

Once again, there are no "perfect" or "idealized" black bodies because they are purely theoretical limits. All bodies in nature are comprised of matter and are just plain ol' ordinary black bodies.

Stefan-Boltzmann applies to all bodies. Stefan-Boltzmann applies to all matter, always, everywhere.

Now that you have been made aware, do you still deny this? Do you need to claim that physics somehow does not apply to earth?

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

A Spaghetti strainer with the faucet running, retains water- tmiddles

Clouds don't trap heat. Clouds block cold. - Spongy Iris

Printing dollars to pay debt doesn't increase the number of dollars. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ah the "Valid Data" myth of ITN/IBD. - tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

:*sigh* Not the "raw data" crap. - Leafsdude

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
06-06-2019 23:00
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
Venus doesn't tectonic plates to drive the CO2 underground. Volcanoes emitted a lot of CO2 (greenhouse gas) into the atmosphere. That resulted in the atmosphere retaining heat and the temp going to 800 degrees F or higher.
Edited on 06-06-2019 23:01
06-06-2019 23:04
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
IBdaMann wrote:
keepit wrote:
I just looked up SB law and Black body radiation in my Phillips Astronomy Encyclopedia. It uses the phrase "idealized black body". The earth isn't an idealized black body. Look what happened on Venus.

I'll teach you some physics.

An "idealized black body" is also known as a "perfect black body" and is merely a theoretical limit, like absolute zero as a temperture; it does not exist in reality. We still have temperatures in nature though, and none of them are absolute zero. Similarly, all bodies, including the earth, and baseballs, and carbon atoms, and patio furniture are black bodies, and none of them are perfect black bodies.

Once again, there are no "perfect" or "idealized" black bodies because they are purely theoretical limits. All bodies in nature are comprised of matter and are just plain ol' ordinary black bodies.

Stefan-Boltzmann applies to all bodies. Stefan-Boltzmann applies to all matter, always, everywhere.
Doesn't the imperfection change the rate of flux?

Now that you have been made aware, do you still deny this? Do you need to claim that physics somehow does not apply to earth?
06-06-2019 23:09
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
I just can't get away from the fact that clouds hold in heat temporarily.
I'm reminded of the phrase, "You can't see the forest for the trees".
06-06-2019 23:32
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:

This confusion is common. The ideal black body is a reference point, not the law itself. It is the point where emissivity is 100%. There is no such thing as an ideal black body in the real world. There is also no such thing as an ideal white body (where emissivity = 0%) in the world either.

All real bodies are gray bodies (where emissivity is less than 100% and greater than 0%).

You are attempting to eliminate the emissivity constant from the equation, thus denying the law.

What happened to Venus?

D@mn you're stupid. The original black body was a piece of steel. Don't you know your history?
06-06-2019 23:45
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
James,
I think it's more likely that he is on a mission.
The mission is to sell more gas and oil.
Edited on 06-06-2019 23:48
07-06-2019 00:36
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21559)
keepit wrote:
Venus doesn't tectonic plates to drive the CO2 underground.

Tectonic plates don't drive CO2 underground. They simply float there.
keepit wrote:
Volcanoes emitted a lot of CO2 (greenhouse gas) into the atmosphere.

There is no such thing as a 'greenhouse gas'. No gas or vapor can warm Venus (or the Earth).
You also put yourself in an other paradox. You say CO2 is not underground, yet volcanoes are emitting it from underground. Which is it, dude?
keepit wrote:
That resulted in the atmosphere retaining heat and the temp going to 800 degrees F or higher.

Nope. Venus has always been like that. It's atmosphere is 900 times the pressure of Earth's atmosphere at the surface. It is quite a bit easier for that much atmosphere to absorb heat from the surface. Thicker atmospheres are generally hotter. See the temperatures at Death Valley, CA.

The planet is also closer to the Sun.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
07-06-2019 00:37
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I just can't get away from the fact that clouds hold in heat temporarily.
I'm reminded of the phrase, "You can't see the forest for the trees".

It is not possible to hold heat, not even temporarily.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
07-06-2019 00:37
(21559)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:

This confusion is common. The ideal black body is a reference point, not the law itself. It is the point where emissivity is 100%. There is no such thing as an ideal black body in the real world. There is also no such thing as an ideal white body (where emissivity = 0%) in the world either.

All real bodies are gray bodies (where emissivity is less than 100% and greater than 0%).

You are attempting to eliminate the emissivity constant from the equation, thus denying the law.

What happened to Venus?

D@mn you're stupid. The original black body was a piece of steel. Don't you know your history?

There is no original black body, James.

The Parrot Killer

07-06-2019 00:38
(21559)
keepit wrote:
James,

I assure you, I am not in the oil business. My company makes sensors for industrial, medical, and aerospace applications.

The Parrot Killer

07-06-2019 00:54
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
keepit wrote:
James,

Thanks

You made my day with that one.
07-06-2019 01:04
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:

keepit wrote:

There is no such thing as a 'greenhouse gas'. No gas or vapor can warm Venus (or the Earth).
You also put yourself in an other paradox. You say CO2 is not underground, yet volcanoes are emitting it from underground. Which is it, dude?
keepit wrote:
That resulted in the atmosphere retaining heat and the temp going to 800 degrees F or higher.

Nope. Venus has always been like that. It's atmosphere is 900 times the pressure of Earth's atmosphere at the surface. It is quite a bit easier for that much atmosphere to absorb heat from the surface. Thicker atmospheres are generally hotter. See the temperatures at Death Valley, CA.

Closer to the sun, yes, that proximity doesn't come close to accounting for the difference in temp between the earth and venus.
07-06-2019 01:05
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:

What happened to Venus?

There is no original black body, James.

Said like the IPCC. With assuredness and certainty. I believe you. Seriously, I do. It's like you said, Planck and both Stefan and Boltzmann used random materials with no specific values. They came up with random numbers that you happen to like.
07-06-2019 01:09
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
ITN,
How do you have time for this? I bet you're the owner and you sit in your office overlooking Boeing while every one else i working. Just joking.
Seriously,
I understand my understanding of heat transfer (heat is the transfer) but i don't understand what understanding of heat that doesn't comport with thermal insulation from greenhouse gasses.
I just don't get it!
What do you think about Boeing and the 737Max?
07-06-2019 01:50
(21559)
keepit wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
keepit wrote:

keepit wrote:

keepit wrote:

Closer to the sun, yes, that proximity doesn't come close to accounting for the difference in temp between the earth and venus.

Yes it does.

The Parrot Killer

07-06-2019 02:01
(21559)
keepit wrote:
ITN,
How do you have time for this? I bet you're the owner and you sit in your office overlooking Boeing while every one else i working. Just joking.
Seriously,
I understand my understanding of heat transfer (heat is the transfer) but i don't understand what understanding of heat that doesn't comport with thermal insulation from greenhouse gasses.
I just don't get it!

Heat is simply the flow of thermal energy from one place to another. It is not thermal energy itself. It like a current in a river. It is not the water itself, it is the movement of the water.

You can't hold it, or trap it. You can only reduce it or increase it. If you dam a river, you are not holding current, you have reduced it to a lower value (at least until the water works its way around the dam
).

CO2 is actually a better conductor of heat than most other gases in the atmosphere. It is not a thermal insulator. Metals are good conductors also. That's why it's so easy to pass thermal energy into a water jacket around the cylinder of a car. That water can then carry that thermal energy away from the cylinder more efficiently than air can. Some high power CPUs are also starting to use liquid cooling (using water, sometimes colored to make it look cool
).

It is also not possible to store thermal energy. There is always heat. Hot things are always heating cold things.

Thermal insulators, like blankets, work by reducing heat. They decouple the hot (you) and the cold (the night air). They still conduct heat, but just not as well.

Blankets and coats work on people because they are generating thermal energy from the food they eat. Putting a blanket or a coat on a rock does not make the rock warmer.

keepit wrote:
What do you think about Boeing and the 737Max?

It's fixed. It was a simple problem (it once hit Toyota!) and it is fixed. It is currently undergoing final flight testing. Hopefully, airlines will be able to fly them again by August or so.

This bug is the result of a stupid design by Boeing, and driven by stupid marketing departments in Boeing. In Toyota's case, it was simply stupid design. It is the result of using a single sensor for a critical input. Not smart.

A 2nd sensor has been added, and optional warning and shutoff systems are now required standard equipment. The aircraft uses this system during initial takeoff and climb out. Once at altitude, the system is shut off since it's not needed.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 07-06-2019 02:06
07-06-2019 02:09
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
I thought there was more than one sensor and that was why there was a sensor disagree switch. Minor point i guess. I just mention it because you're in the sensor business.
The mismanagement of it bothers me.
07-06-2019 02:17
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
Sympathy to the victims of the 737Max but back to global warming.
Your last post sounds like the slowing of flux (slowing of heat). That's what i've been claiming.
Even if you consider CO2 a good conductor, it is conducting heat both back to earth and out to outer space.
The back to earth component brings about the time delay. During that delay, back at the ranch, more heat from the sun is pouring in to earth, warming it up, melting the ice, etc.
Is your office on Boeing field? I guess it's none of my business.
07-06-2019 02:17
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I thought there was more than one sensor and that was why there was a sensor disagree switch. Minor point i guess. I just mention it because you're in the sensor business.
The mismanagement of it bothers me.

It bothers me too. I didn't realize Boeing was programming their systems this way.

The stupid part of this is that a 2nd sensor already exists on the aircraft, but they weren't using it.

Now they are.

There is no 'switch' per se for sensor disagreement. This is a test the software makes, though, and if a disagreement is noted between the sensors, the system shuts off and warns the pilot of the failure. In that event, the aircraft can complete it's flight (with a bit of extra work from the pilots), but once landed cannot take off again until the problem is corrected by mechanics.

The sensors are simple in construction, and can easily be repaired by any aircraft mechanic.

The Parrot Killer

07-06-2019 02:20
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
I think i heard that the Airbus 3... had a similar problem just a few years ago.
07-06-2019 02:22
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
Ralph Nader is on their case now. Yikes.
07-06-2019 02:26
(21559)
keepit wrote:
Sympathy to the victims of the 737Max but back to global warming.
What global warming? You have to define it first.
keepit wrote:
Your last post sounds like the slowing of flux (slowing of heat).
You cannot slow heat. It doesn't have a speed.
keepit wrote:
That's what i've been claiming.
Because you still have a problem with the concept of heat.
keepit wrote:
Even if you consider CO2 a good conductor, it is conducting heat both back to earth and out to outer space.

No. You cannot heat a warmer thing with a colder thing. The surface is warmer than the atmosphere, including the CO2.
keepit wrote:
The back to earth component brings about the time delay. During that delay, back at the ranch, more heat from the sun is pouring in to earth, warming it up, melting the ice, etc.

There is no sequence. You cannot suspend the 2nd law of thermodynamics for even a moment of time. You cannot heat a warmer surface using a colder gas.
keepit wrote:
Is your office on Boeing field?
No.
keepit wrote:
I guess it's none of my business.

Natural curiosity I suppose. I'm east of Boeing field by quite a bit.

Boeing itself in the Seattle area is scattered all over the place. They are not my only customer either. I did not build the sensors that were misused on the MAX. I do have sensors on that aircraft though. They are in the fuel system.

The Parrot Killer

07-06-2019 02:27
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I think i heard that the Airbus 3... had a similar problem just a few years ago.

No, their problem was the fin spar, which was too weak in its construction. It has not been corrected. Instead, pilots are trained to not overstress it.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 07-06-2019 02:28
07-06-2019 02:28
(21559)
keepit wrote:
Ralph Nader is on their case now. Yikes.

He's a nothing. He has no power here. It's up to Boeing, the FAA, and the NTSB, and of course the airlines accepting the aircraft.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 07-06-2019 02:29
07-06-2019 02:29
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
The problem i heard of was an angle of attack sensor.
07-06-2019 02:30
(21559)
keepit wrote:
The problem i heard of was an angle of attack sensor.

The is the correct sensor. There are two of them, mounted on the nose of the aircraft. One for each pilot. Only one sensor was being used, rather than both of them by the software.

The Parrot Killer

07-06-2019 02:31
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
Ralph Nader is a powerful political animal. You must be younger than me to not feel the "heat" from him.
Now you're getting interesting ITN.
07-06-2019 02:33
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
I didn't know that. I heard that there were tow types of sensors. I definitely don't know what i'm talking about here.
07-06-2019 02:40
(21559)
keepit wrote:
Ralph Nader is a powerful political animal.

Nah. He only thinks he is.
keepit wrote:
You must be younger than me to not feel the "heat" from him.

Nah. I've listened to his huffing and bluffing for quite a few decades now.
keepit wrote:
Now you're getting interesting ITN.

Most people either think that or think I belong in an insane asylum (depends on who you ask
).

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 07-06-2019 02:40
07-06-2019 02:42
(21559)
keepit wrote:
I didn't know that. I heard that there were tow types of sensors. I definitely don't know what i'm talking about here.

There are two sensors incorporated in each device for this aircraft. One measures the angle of attack. The other measures the airspeed.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 07-06-2019 02:42
07-06-2019 02:57
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
The thought had occurred to me but not any more. Referring to insane.
Edited on 07-06-2019 02:57
07-06-2019 03:48
(21559)
keepit wrote:
The thought had occurred to me but not any more. Referring to insane.

Does the noise in my head bother you?

The Parrot Killer

07-06-2019 03:53
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
Naaa. You're fine. Don't get overly fixated on govt spending. They can just print money to pay off the treasuries they sold to the Chinese. I wonder if there is a law against that.
07-06-2019 04:50
(14378)
keepit wrote: I just can't get away from the fact that clouds hold in heat temporarily.

On your science illiteracy degree shall we stamp your "Doesn't Know What Heat Is" certification?

The clause "clouds hold in heat temporarily" is meaningless gibberish.

I'm reminded of the phrase, "You can't see the forest because you won't open your eyes."

I don't think i can [define it]. I just kind of get a feel for the phrase. - keepit

If Venus were a black body it would have a much much lower temperature than what we found there.- tmiddles

Ceist - I couldn't agree with you more. But when money and religion are involved, and there are people who value them above all else, then the lies begin. - trafn

You are completely misunderstanding their use of the word "accumulation"! - Climate Scientist.

The Stefan-Boltzman equation doesn't come up with the correct temperature if greenhouse gases are not considered - Hank

IB STILL hasn't explained what Planck's Law means. Just more hand waving that it applies to everything and more asserting that the greenhouse effect 'violates' it.- Ceist
07-06-2019 04:58
(14378)
James___ wrote:D@mn you're stupid. The original black body was a piece of steel. Don't you know your history?

The original black body? Oh, pick me, pick me!

07-06-2019 05:00
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
Heat is the transfer of thermal energy according to Wiki.
07-06-2019 05:06
(21559)
keepit wrote:
Naaa. You're fine. Don't get overly fixated on govt spending. They can just print money to pay off the treasuries they sold to the Chinese. I wonder if there is a law against that.

Yes. Article I, Section 10, paragraph 1 of the Constitution of the United States.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 07-06-2019 05:07
07-06-2019 05:07
keepit
★★★★★
(3055)
Nuts.
07-06-2019 05:08
(14378)
keepit wrote:Closer to the sun, yes, that proximity doesn't come close to accounting for the difference in temp between the earth and venus.

You don't know Venus' average temperature. Nobody does.

You don't know earth's average temperature. Nobody does.

You don't know the difference between earth's and Venus' average temperatures. Nobody does.

Nonetheless, Venus' proximity to the sun and Venus' dense atmosphere completely account for every temperature on Venus.

Earth's proximity to the sun and earth's atmosphere completely account for every temperature on earth.

07-06-2019 07:27
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
IBdaMann wrote:
James___ wrote:D@mn you're stupid. The original black body was a piece of steel. Don't you know your history?

The original black body? Oh, pick me, pick me!

All that is is racism.
Page 3 of 5<12345>

Join the debate carbon footprint:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Terrestrial Agroecosystems82709-02-2024 03:41
Happy fourth of July. I wonder how many liberals are eating carbon cooked burgers106-07-2023 23:52
Uses for solid carbon3006-07-2023 23:51
Maximizing Carbon Sequestration in Wetlands9623-06-2023 14:49
Biden wants to force 'carbon capture'821-06-2023 12:55
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact