Remember me
▼ Content

an-equator-full-of-hurricanes-shows-a-preview-of-end-times

an-equator-full-of-hurricanes-shows-a-preview-of-end-times15-09-2018 21:42
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
https://www.wired.com/story/an-equator-full-of-hurricanes-shows-a-preview-of-end-times/

THE MAP LOOKS terrifyingly unfamiliar. Not because of the outlines of the continents; those are comforting in their hooks, tails, splotches, and whorls. It's the storms. Across the globe's tropics right now, seven superstorms are swirling over oceans. Hurricane Florence is butting into the Carolinas on North America's southeastern coast. Tropical storms Helene, Isaac, and Joyce are hovering over the Atlantic like jets stacked on approach to Charlotte. Tropical cyclone Barijat is breaking up as it makes landfall at the Gulf of Tonkin while the Philippines and the rest of southeast Asia girds itself for Super Typhoon Mangkhut.

So, fine, sure, it's hurricane season. Stormy weather, yes, but climatology said this was going to happen. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has said that science doesn't know if a warming planet will have more hurricanes, but its assembled researchers do agree that what hurricanes happen will be worse. More intense wind, more rain, parked for longer over coastal cities unprepared for 100-year-storms that now come once every five years instead.

IBdaMann wrote:
"Air" is not a body in and of itself. Ergo it is not a blackbody.

Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.
Edited on 15-09-2018 21:43
15-09-2018 22:32
Tim the plumber
★★★★☆
(1356)
Hurricanes don't happen over the equator.
Edited on 15-09-2018 22:32
16-09-2018 02:15
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Editors write headlines, did you bother to read the article?

Any comments about the contents?

"What is certain is that the coming changes will be very, very inconvenient to human society and be of enormous cost to human infrastructure. Fires, floods, sea level, heat waves, etc.... Although a cynic might say that the Earth overall will benefit in direct proportion that all things human are decremented."

It seems to be counter to the message I am getting from people such as yourself. Then again the people that wired were talking to probably know more then anonymous cranks on an unmoderated talkboard.

IBdaMann wrote:

Planck's law describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body in thermal equilibrium at a given temperature T.
16-09-2018 21:01
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21582)
spot wrote:
Editors write headlines, did you bother to read the article?

Any comments about the contents?

"What is certain is that the coming changes will be very, very inconvenient to human society and be of enormous cost to human infrastructure. Fires, floods, sea level, heat waves, etc.... Although a cynic might say that the Earth overall will benefit in direct proportion that all things human are decremented."

It seems to be counter to the message I am getting from people such as yourself. Then again the people that wired were talking to probably know more then anonymous cranks on an unmoderated talkboard.

Hurricanes aren't increasing in intensity or frequency. See the National Hurricane Center, including the historical data.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-09-2018 19:24
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Into the Night wrote:

Hurricanes aren't increasing in intensity or frequency. See the National Hurricane Center, including the historical data.

God knows where you got that impression from.

That's not the message I've gotten from reading what people who study these things say,

Simply put the earth is getting warmer, this extra energy effects things.

That said I don't think going through all of human knowledge on this subject with you would be productive, its clear you aren't arguing in good faith.

Anyway I thought you said before that things can't be mesured so if it can't be mesured its impossible to draw any conclusions so why are you bothering to comment?

IBdaMann wrote:

17-09-2018 20:18
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

That's not the message I've gotten from reading what people who study these things say,

That said I don't think going through all of human knowledge on this subject with you would be productive, its clear you aren't arguing in good faith.

Anyway I thought you said before that things can't be mesured so if it can't be mesured its impossible to draw any conclusions so why are you bothering to comment?

Just a simple common sense question for you Spot...
If all it takes is warmer water then why don't hurricanes don't form right on the equator where water temperatures are warmest? should be some extremely intense hurricanes there, yet there are none. Why?
17-09-2018 20:26
(21582)
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

The National Hurricane Center historical data.
spot wrote:
The National Hurricane Center studies these things.
spot wrote:

It is not possible to measure the temperature of the Earth. The Sun's output has not increased significantly.
spot wrote:

Inversion fallacy. It is YOU that is denying the data.
spot wrote:

Compositional error. I never said you can't measure anything. You can measure certain things about hurricanes, such as the number of them and the overall intensity of them.

It is not possible, however, to measure the temperature of the Earth.

The Parrot Killer

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
17-09-2018 20:28
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

If all it takes is warmer water then why don't hurricanes don't form right on the equator where water temperatures are warmest? should be some extremely intense hurricanes there, yet there are none. Why?

...The simple answer is prevailing winds.
17-09-2018 21:07
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Simple answer its to do with winds

Look it up with google if you are really interested.

IBdaMann wrote:

17-09-2018 21:09
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
Into the Night wrote:

Of course it is, dumbarse

IBdaMann wrote:

17-09-2018 22:53
(21582)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

That's an answer???

The Parrot Killer

17-09-2018 22:53
(21582)
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

That's not an answer either!

The Parrot Killer

17-09-2018 22:55
(21582)
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Of course it is, dumbarse

You think so? Okay, first question:

How many thermometers are used to measure the temperature of the Earth? Please justify your number.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 17-09-2018 22:55
18-09-2018 00:48
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
ITN; If you are so ignorant that do not know why hurricanes do not form at the equator you are hardly qualified to say that the method to get the temperature of the earth that has been accepted by the scientific community for over a century and now verified by other methods since the 1970s is completely useless as you seem to be insisting.

Enough thermometers.
18-09-2018 01:09
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

That's an answer???

...itn,
..That is the correct answer. I don't really agree with Spot. You are familiar with science but you're missing way too many details. It's like when you didn't realize that the earth can absorb water that isn't run off. Details.
18-09-2018 02:36
(21582)
spot wrote:
ITN; If you are so ignorant that do not know why hurricanes do not form at the equator

I know why hurricanes do not form at the equator, and it has nothing to do with prevailing winds.
spot wrote:
you are hardly qualified to say that the method to get the temperature of the earth that has been accepted by the scientific community for over a century and now verified by other methods since the 1970s is completely useless as you seem to be insisting.

Mathematics does not use consensus, dude. A math error is a math error, whether the 'scientific community' that you so desperately are trying use agrees with it or not.
spot wrote:
Enough thermometers.

That is not a number. That is an evasion. How many thermometers are used to measure the temperature of the Earth?

The Parrot Killer

18-09-2018 02:37
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

That's an answer???

...itn,
..That is the correct answer. I don't really agree with Spot. You are familiar with science but you're missing way too many details. It's like when you didn't realize that the earth can absorb water that isn't run off. Details.

Never said it couldn't. You are lying again.

Prevailing winds is not the correct answer.

The Parrot Killer

18-09-2018 02:51
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

That's an answer???

...itn,

...You really don't understand the weather patterns of our planet, do you ?
18-09-2018 02:57
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

That's an answer???

...itn,

...You really don't understand the weather patterns of our planet, do you ?

Yes I do. It is YOU that does not. You don't understand the ocean currents either.

Inversion fallacy.

The Parrot Killer

18-09-2018 06:27
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
Into the Night wrote:

Well, the simple answer is quite wrong. Wanna give the complicated answer a go?
19-09-2018 19:52
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
GasGuzzler wrote:

What would copying something and posting it here prove?

If you know already why are you asking?

I ask questions when I don't know something;

What math is ITN referring to that proves his point that the temperature of earth is unknown? Is it in a book or paper or anything that can be cited? Is ITN better at maths then all the scientists, mathematicians, statisticians etc. that have spent a great deal of examining that record in the past century and a half and have failed to spot what ITN claims is obvious. Do you think ITN is a super-genius?

IBdaMann wrote:

19-09-2018 20:16
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
spot wrote:
[quote]GasGuzzler wrote:

Nothing really, but always good to see where you're getting your information from. Just knowing your source is always a window into Spots world. Go ahead and paste it, but be ready to explain it in your own understanding.
You claimed that hurricanes are becoming more frequent and more intense. I asked you a question to see if you have any knowledge whatsoever of how they form, why they form, why they strengthen, or why they go where they go. It appears you have no understanding except for what you read/hear and then regurgitate here.
You should ask ITN. He's quite knowledgeable on a wide variety of topics.

What math is ITN referring to that proves his point that the temperature of earth is unknown? Is it in a book or paper or anything that can be cited? Is ITN better at maths then all the scientists, mathematicians, statisticians etc. that have spent a great deal of examining that record in the past century and a half and have failed to spot what ITN claims is obvious. Do you think ITN is a super-genius?

No math involved really. Just common sense. I also used to think ITN was nuts for claiming the temp of the earth can't be measured. However, give this just a little thought....
Temp of the earth is what? Surface? 1 meter? 6 Meter? 10? 20? 50? 100?
Then think about the thermal profiles of our atmosphere. There are temp inversions, steeper lapse rates here or there, mountain, deserts...the air moves all the time at different speeds and differently over each surface feature...and I've barely scratched the surface.
So. how many thermometers would it take to accurately measure the temperature of the earth? The air? Which one are you even talking about?
Edited on 19-09-2018 20:18
19-09-2018 20:18
(21582)
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

Nothing.
spot wrote:

For the same reason you are doing so right now.
spot wrote:

Liar.
spot wrote:
What math is ITN referring to that proves his point that the temperature of earth is unknown?

I have already told you. Argument of the stone.
spot wrote:
Is it in a book or paper or anything that can be cited?

Is this your only source of information? False authority fallacy.
spot wrote:
Is ITN better at maths then all the scientists, mathematicians, statisticians etc. that have spent a great deal of examining that record in the past century and a half and have failed to spot what ITN claims is obvious. Do you think ITN is a super-genius?

Some have spotted it. Some of those are inside NASA or NOAA. They have no say on the organization's websites. People in the Church of Global Warming deny it, along with the mathematics itself. It also denies science. It also denies logic. It also denies history.

You seem to think that mathematics works by consensus. You also seem to think that science works by consensus. You are WRONG.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 19-09-2018 20:32
19-09-2018 20:22
(21582)
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:

No math involved really. Just common sense. I also used to think ITN was nuts for claiming the temp of the earth can't be measured. However, give this just a little thought....
Then think about the thermal profiles of our atmosphere. There are temp inversions, steeper lapse rates here or there, mountain, deserts...the air moves all the time at different speeds and differently over each surface feature...and I've barely scratched the surface.
So. how many thermometers would it take to accurately measure the temperature of the earth? The air? Which one are you even talking about?

While this is also a factor, there IS math involved. Statistical mathematics requires the calculation of the margin of error with any statistical summary. That calculation shows there are not enough thermometers in the world to reduce the margin of error to anything less than the full range of temperatures found on Earth already. It mathematically shows they are guessing.

And I'm only talking about the surface and within a meter of the surface.

NASA claims the higher number of thermometers that they use, resulting in one thermometer for every 105,000 square miles, assuming they are uniformly distributed (they aren't). There is simply no way to measure a temperature on a surface that has a variance as steep as 20 deg F per mile with that many thermometers.

Another math error commonly done with statistical math is its use to predict. While mathematics carries the power of the formal proof and with it the power of prediction, it loses that power of prediction in branches that import from another math Domain. Random numbers are such imports. This leaves the branches of statistical math and probability math without the power of prediction normally inherent in mathematics. Statistics simply cannot predict anything. It's a great tool for summarizing past or current data, but it cannot predict.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 19-09-2018 20:29
19-09-2018 21:16
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
[quote]GasGuzzler wrote:

Nothing really, but always good to see where you're getting your information from. Just knowing your source is always a window into Spots world. Go ahead and paste it, but be ready to explain it in your own understanding.
You claimed that hurricanes are becoming more frequent and more intense. I asked you a question to see if you have any knowledge whatsoever of how they form, why they form, why they strengthen, or why they go where they go. It appears you have no understanding except for what you read/hear and then regurgitate here.

Fair enough you got back to me, and are being polite. I learnt about hurricanes in school, however it was a long time ago and I just googled; "Why don't hurricanes form on the equator" and got this;https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/hurricanes.html just to conferm what I thought was true. It's not controversial so I was confused why it was such a big deal. I find that a lot of people ask questions to waste time rather then for constructive reasons on a forum such as this. You do know the theory behind why people, not just me think that hurricanes are getting more intense? http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2018/05/does-global-warming-make-tropical-cyclones-stronger/ heat is energy so more intense and energetic hurricanes can be supported.

Your first impression was right ITN is nuts. How big is your garden, I want to know exactly how many square hundredths of a millimeters you own exactly otherwise any answer you give me is invalid. Measuring temperature is not complicated Weathermen can tell you what the weather is right now can't they? you mount a thermometer and take readings even just one record is useful thousands more so. we have been doing it in England since 1659.

IBdaMann wrote:

19-09-2018 21:40
(21582)
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
[quote]GasGuzzler wrote:

Fair enough you got back to me, and are being polite. I learnt about hurricanes in school, however it was a long time ago and I just googled; "Why don't hurricanes form on the equator" and got this;https://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/hurricanes.html just to conferm what I thought was true. It's not controversial so I was confused why it was such a big deal. I find that a lot of people ask questions to waste time rather then for constructive reasons on a forum such as this. You do know the theory behind why people, not just me think that hurricanes are getting more intense? http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2018/05/does-global-warming-make-tropical-cyclones-stronger/ heat is energy so more intense and energetic hurricanes can be supported.

Heat is not energy.
spot wrote:
Your first impression was right ITN is nuts. How big is your garden, I want to know exactly how many square hundredths of a millimeters you own exactly otherwise any answer you give me is invalid. Measuring temperature is not complicated Weathermen can tell you what the weather is right now can't they? you mount a thermometer and take readings even just one record is useful thousands more so. we have been doing it in England since 1659.

The temperature recorded at SeaTac airport currently is 58 deg F. What is the temperature of the Earth? What is the temperature of Washington State?

You are denying mathematics again.

The Parrot Killer

Edited on 19-09-2018 21:42
19-09-2018 23:16
GasGuzzler
★★★★★
(2932)
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:
[quote]GasGuzzler wrote:

Your article only deals with the steering winds of a hurricane.

Your other article I suspect is a bunch of hooey with only cherry picked storms/examples...I will find out and be back when I have some time...

Learn about heating differential, low pressure, and buoyancy and you'll just begin to see how warm water is only one small ingredient to a hurricane.
19-09-2018 23:32
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:

..It does have to do with winds. I am getting a good laugh out of spot trying to discuss something with itn and gasguzzler.
..I like it when gasguzzler said >> Wanna give the complicated answer a go? <<
.Baiting someone into a senseless argument. I think everyone knows that it's prevailing Trade Winds that create the tropical depressions that can become hurricanes.
..I'll go back to watching
20-09-2018 02:34
(21582)
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:

..It does have to do with winds.

Nope.
James___ wrote:
I am getting a good laugh out of spot trying to discuss something with itn and gasguzzler.
.Baiting someone into a senseless argument. I think everyone knows that it's prevailing Trade Winds that create the tropical depressions that can become hurricanes.

Nope. Trade winds have nothing to do with hurricane formation or tropical depression formation.

The Parrot Killer

20-09-2018 05:34
James___
★★★★★
(5513)
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:

Nope.
James___ wrote:
I am getting a good laugh out of spot trying to discuss something with itn and gasguzzler.

Nope. Trade winds have nothing to do with hurricane formation or tropical depression formation.

...Can you define climate change without using buzzwords or circular arguments ?

.For everyone else there is this and the easterly winds originate over Asia Minor so there's little moisture in the air to begin with...
The role the Sahara Desert plays in hurricane development is related to the easterly winds (coming from the east) generated from the differences between the hot, dry desert in north Africa and the cooler, wetter, and forested coastal environment directly south and surrounding the Gulf of Guinea in west Africa.
https://response.restoration.noaa.gov/about/media/what-does-sahara-desert-have-do-hurricanes.html

Edited on 20-09-2018 05:40
20-09-2018 11:09
(21582)
James___ wrote:
Into the Night wrote:
James___ wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:
spot wrote:

Nope.
James___ wrote:

...Can you define climate change without using buzzwords or circular arguments ?

I'm not trying to.
James___ wrote:
.For everyone else there is this and the easterly winds originate over Asia Minor so there's little moisture in the air to begin with...
The role the Sahara Desert plays in hurricane development is related to the easterly winds (coming from the east) generated from the differences between the hot, dry desert in north Africa and the cooler, wetter, and forested coastal environment directly south and surrounding the Gulf of Guinea in west Africa.
https://response.restoration.noaa.gov/about/media/what-does-sahara-desert-have-do-hurricanes.html

That is not what starts a hurricane or tropical storm.

The Parrot Killer

22-09-2018 17:16
spot
★★★★☆
(1323)
GasGuzzler wrote:

Your other article I suspect is a bunch of hooey with only cherry picked storms/examples...I will find out and be back when I have some time...

Learn about heating differential, low pressure, and buoyancy and you'll just begin to see how warm water is only one small ingredient to a hurricane.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hurricanes-Seymour-Simon/dp/0061170712/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537625572&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=huricanes+non+fiction

That seems to be aimed at the level, A whole book on the subject.

Say I were wrong on some detail what would that prove. I'm not the one saying all the scientists are wrong.

IBdaMann wrote:

22-09-2018 22:58
(21582)
spot wrote:
GasGuzzler wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hurricanes-Seymour-Simon/dp/0061170712/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1537625572&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=huricanes+non+fiction

That seems to be aimed at the level, A whole book on the subject.

Say I were wrong on some detail what would that prove. I'm not the one saying all the scientists are wrong.

Compositional error involving people...bigotry.

No one is saying 'all the scientists are wrong'. No one is saying 'all the scientists are right' except people like you. This guy is a writer, not a scientist. Since you twits are so into credentials, you might at least pick a guy that has a science degree in physics. This guy has no more science credentials than The Science Guy (hey! He's into the Church of Global Warming too!).

A scientist is not a god. Don't make him out to be one.

The Parrot Killer

Join the debate an-equator-full-of-hurricanes-shows-a-preview-of-end-times:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Worsening warming is hurting people in all regions, US climate assessment shows2923-11-2023 02:17
Jimmy Hoffa's body may be located which will mean the end of World Hunger and climate change both001-11-2023 20:25
Only New Central Bank Type Appear Can End Global Currency War325-07-2023 22:50
The Ukraine War Will End Immediately If The USA Receive The Benefits They Looking For015-07-2023 09:03
Make A Donation If You Want To Have A Hint Of How The Current World Conflicts End113-07-2023 20:47
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact