Remember me
▼ Content

After 100 years with ExxonMobil... 20 African countries no better off today


After 100 years with ExxonMobil... 20 African countries no better off today21-06-2018 18:40
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
"The splendour Mother Nature has bestowed upon the continent of Africa cannot be ignored. But neither can the fact that after 100 years of hosting ExxonMobil's operations, the people of 20 African nations are no better off today.

The African countries which have been flagged in the HDI report as places of low human development include: Angola, Chad, Cameroon, Madagascar, Nigeria, Tanzania, Papua New Guinea, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, Senegal, Ivory Coast, and the Republic of Congo.
Those African nations with managed to scrape medium development for its people after finding oil include Equatorial Guinea, Egypt, South Africa, Zambia, Kenya, Ghana, Sâo Tomé and Morocco. On this basis, one can surely understand the notion that oil alone does not guarantee the "good life"."

https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2018/02/25/after-100-years-with-exxonmobil-20-african-countries-no-better-off-today-2/



Yeah I'm still not convinced God actually said that but anyway.
I was going to mention Shell and the hangings but something else popped up, well well well ...

"It is unfortunate, but the number of politicians dreaming of abolishing the U.S. Constitution for a new set of "god-bestowed" laws includes the entirety of the Republican Party; the Koch brothers have been greatly increasing their already very substantial funding for the campaign to "rebirth the Constitution." This movement has been in the works for a long time, and of course the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) has been instrumental in the crusade to transform the current Constitution into a document amenable to the demands of the libertarian Kochs and Christian Dominionists. The movement became mainstream in GOP circles when the RNC included an entire section devoted to creating a new evangelical and Koch-friendly constitution in its official 2016 platform."

Koch Republicans Inch Closer Towards Replacing the Constitution
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/2/16/1742019/-Koch-Republicans-Inch-Closer-Towards-Replacing-the-Constitution

Kochs Bankroll Move to Rewrite the Constitution
https://www.prwatch.org/news/2017/03/13229/koch-brothers-bankroll-constitutional-convention

I wonder if they're planning on bringing back the glory suit.


"Bring us your sick and tired, your educated ..."
21-06-2018 20:29
Jeffvw
☆☆☆☆☆
(40)
monckton wrote:
On this basis, one can surely understand the notion that oil alone does not guarantee the "good life"."[/i]
https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2018/02/25/after-100-years-with-exxonmobil-20-african-countries-no-better-off-today-2/

What correlates to the good life is the use of coal and oil, not its production. Most of the countries listed have very low CO2 emissions per capita, even though they produce lots of oil. Prospering nations all have high CO2 emissions per capita.

On a personal note, I've spent time in Mozambique and have seen the poverty. They do have some power, but not much. That puts them at a severe disadvantage when it comes to productivity. An example is that most use hand tools to make furniture; those with access to power tools can make much more furniture for much less and it is those that are doing better economically.

The US and UN have been offering to install solar and wind power (but refuse to support coal power), but Africans find it useless since it is intermittent. They want the same kind of power that the US has that is always available and cheap. They find the US' insistence only supporting solar projects demeaning. China is making major inroads into Africa and are helping finance and install coal power plants which are finally bringing reliable power to some areas. You can see the increase in prosperity in those areas.
[/quote]
21-06-2018 21:00
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
Jeffvw wrote:
monckton wrote:
On this basis, one can surely understand the notion that oil alone does not guarantee the "good life"."[/i]
https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2018/02/25/after-100-years-with-exxonmobil-20-african-countries-no-better-off-today-2/

What correlates to the good life is the use of coal and oil, not its production. Most of the countries listed have very low CO2 emissions per capita, even though they produce lots of oil. Prospering nations all have high CO2 emissions per capita.

On a personal note, I've spent time in Mozambique and have seen the poverty. They do have some power, but not much. That puts them at a severe disadvantage when it comes to productivity. An example is that most use hand tools to make furniture; those with access to power tools can make much more furniture for much less and it is those that are doing better economically.

The US and UN have been offering to install solar and wind power (but refuse to support coal power), but Africans find it useless since it is intermittent. They want the same kind of power that the US has that is always available and cheap. They find the US' insistence only supporting solar projects demeaning. China is making major inroads into Africa and are helping finance and install coal power plants which are finally bringing reliable power to some areas. You can see the increase in prosperity in those areas.
[/quote]


...Jeffvw,
..I guess this is where if some of my work pays off then poor countries could have access to more reliable sources of energy. The part that might help them best is if the "Greenhouse" effect is the result of the earth's magnetic field.
..If so then if countries in Africa were to use coal while they become developed then their environmental impact would be negligible until you mention the hole in the ozone layer. IMO they'd be helping it to recover or to at least protect it some against chlorine and bromide.
21-06-2018 21:36
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
Jeffvw wrote:
monckton wrote:
On this basis, one can surely understand the notion that oil alone does not guarantee the "good life"."[/i]
https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2018/02/25/after-100-years-with-exxonmobil-20-african-countries-no-better-off-today-2/

What correlates to the good life is the use of coal and oil, not its production. Most of the countries listed have very low CO2 emissions per capita, even though they produce lots of oil. Prospering nations all have high CO2 emissions per capita.

On a personal note, I've spent time in Mozambique and have seen the poverty. They do have some power, but not much. That puts them at a severe disadvantage when it comes to productivity. An example is that most use hand tools to make furniture; those with access to power tools can make much more furniture for much less and it is those that are doing better economically.

The US and UN have been offering to install solar and wind power (but refuse to support coal power), but Africans find it useless since it is intermittent. They want the same kind of power that the US has that is always available and cheap. They find the US' insistence only supporting solar projects demeaning. China is making major inroads into Africa and are helping finance and install coal power plants which are finally bringing reliable power to some areas. You can see the increase in prosperity in those areas.



...Jeffvw,
..I guess this is where if some of my work pays off then poor countries could have access to more reliable sources of energy.[/quote]
And what are you doing to help them?
James___ wrote:
The part that might help them best is if the "Greenhouse" effect is the result of the earth's magnetic field.

The magnetic field does not block thermal energy. There is no such thing as a 'greenhouse effect'. No gas or vapor has the capability to warm the Earth.
James___ wrote:
..If so then if countries in Africa were to use coal while they become developed then their environmental impact would be negligible

If it is burned efficiently, that would be true. It would be true regardless of your funny ideas about 'greenhouse effect', magnetic fields, 'waste' heat, etc.
James___ wrote:
until you mention the hole in the ozone layer.

The ozone hole is not caused by thermal energy or the burning of coal.
James___ wrote:
IMO they'd be helping it to recover or to at least protect it some against chlorine and bromide.

It doesn't need protecting. Chlorine and bromine are extremely reactive. They react with something else long before they anywhere near the ozone layer.

As you as you have sunlight and oxygen, you WILL have ozone. We couldn't destroy the ozone layer even if we wanted to.


The Parrot Killer
21-06-2018 21:49
James___
★★★☆☆
(560)
..itn,
..you really from Denmark ? my last name is common there but no where else :-D
.unlike you I can't say I'm better because I have one nationality. In fact I may be visiting the Netherlands later this year or early next year because of a historical project that I'm working on.
..What are you doing ?
21-06-2018 22:44
Into the Night
★★★★★
(5558)
James___ wrote:
..itn,
..you really from Denmark ? my last name is common there but no where else :-D
.unlike you I can't say I'm better because I have one nationality. In fact I may be visiting the Netherlands later this year or early next year because of a historical project that I'm working on.
..What are you doing ?


Working on improving life here in the United States. I'll leave Africa to you.


The Parrot Killer
22-06-2018 17:41
CoolCucumber
☆☆☆☆☆
(27)
monckton wrote:
"The splendour Mother Nature has bestowed upon the continent of Africa cannot be ignored. But neither can the fact that after 100 years of hosting ExxonMobil's operations, the people of 20 African nations are no better off today.

The African countries which have been flagged in the HDI report as places of low human development include: Angola, Chad, Cameroon, Madagascar, Nigeria, Tanzania, Papua New Guinea, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Ethiopia, Senegal, Ivory Coast, and the Republic of Congo.
Those African nations with managed to scrape medium development for its people after finding oil include Equatorial Guinea, Egypt, South Africa, Zambia, Kenya, Ghana, Sâo Tomé and Morocco. On this basis, one can surely understand the notion that oil alone does not guarantee the "good life"."

https://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2018/02/25/after-100-years-with-exxonmobil-20-african-countries-no-better-off-today-2/



Yeah I'm still not convinced God actually said that but anyway.
I was going to mention Shell and the hangings but something else popped up, well well well ...

"It is unfortunate, but the number of politicians dreaming of abolishing the U.S. Constitution for a new set of "god-bestowed" laws includes the entirety of the Republican Party; the Koch brothers have been greatly increasing their already very substantial funding for the campaign to "rebirth the Constitution." This movement has been in the works for a long time, and of course the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) has been instrumental in the crusade to transform the current Constitution into a document amenable to the demands of the libertarian Kochs and Christian Dominionists. The movement became mainstream in GOP circles when the RNC included an entire section devoted to creating a new evangelical and Koch-friendly constitution in its official 2016 platform."

Koch Republicans Inch Closer Towards Replacing the Constitution
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/2/16/1742019/-Koch-Republicans-Inch-Closer-Towards-Replacing-the-Constitution

Kochs Bankroll Move to Rewrite the Constitution
https://www.prwatch.org/news/2017/03/13229/koch-brothers-bankroll-constitutional-convention

I wonder if they're planning on bringing back the glory suit.


what hangings?
23-06-2018 00:51
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
Good question.
23-06-2018 06:45
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
Remember Live Aid?
Not that.

"While we were prepared to go to court to clear our name..." - we didn't, for 15 million.

Shell settles Nigeria deaths case
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8090493.stm
Edited on 23-06-2018 06:48
23-06-2018 08:29
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
"According to the Lagos daily AM News, the hangmen made four attempts before finally killing Saro-Wiwa on the fifth one. At one point Saro- Wiwa asked: "Why are you people treating me like this? Which type of country is this?"

It took five tries to hang Saro-Wiwa
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/it-took-five-tries-to-hang-saro-wiwa-1581703.html

Fck me I could fill in some blanks there.
23-06-2018 10:08
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
Into the Night wrote:
I'll leave Africa to you.


Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmtYQ7rYv0k


"Bring us your sick and tired, your educated ..."
23-06-2018 18:08
moncktonProfile picture★★★☆☆
(436)
"Kommandant van Heerden, who has risen to Chief of Police of Piemburg through family connections rather than merit, is called out to deal with a strange murder case involving the eccentric British spinster, Miss Hazlestone. It appears that Miss Hazlestone has obliterated her black cook with a quadruple-barreled elephant gun. As a great believer in apartheid South Africa, van Heerden is initially willing to brush the incident under the carpet, until Miss Hazlestone reveals that she and the cook were former lovers who engaged in some extremely unseemly fantasies...."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riotous_Assembly

"Sharpe moved to South Africa in 1951, where he worked as a social worker and a teacher, before being deported for sedition in 1961."




Join the debate After 100 years with ExxonMobil... 20 African countries no better off today:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
What would happen to global temperature if the US stopped all CO2 emissions for the next 50 years?1517-09-2018 07:12
Big World Cup day today.407-07-2018 22:12
WMO confirms 2017 among the three warmest years on record3325-05-2018 03:47
2017 is set to be in top three hottest years, with record-breaking extreme weather1720-11-2017 20:25
Climate Data 800,000 years18818-11-2017 09:11
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know


Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2017 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact