Remember me
▼ Content

A very simple but meaningful fact about CO2, without it

A very simple but meaningful fact about CO2, without it06-01-2019 22:28
Zloppino
☆☆☆☆☆
(17)
you would be dead, and at this time your decaying flesh will still produce CO2 for a time

Why do you hate what you need to be alive
07-01-2019 19:50
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
We're trying to have meaningful dialog here. The question you pose is asked every other posting so you should read first and ask questions after.

CO2 does slow heat transfer slightly. But after about 250 ppm it has already absorbed all of the energy in the Earth's radiation that is present and additional amounts of CO2 have no effect.

It is important to know that molecules can only absorb energy within energy bands (like you tune your radio to a station) and that CO2's bands are very narrow and the area they are in has very little energy available to absorb.

This absorption turns radiated energy into molecular motion which causes the molecules to then transfer this energy via conduction. In total, more than half of all of the energy that the Earth receives is transfered into the upper atmosphere where for lack of other molecules it is radiated eventually out into space. The other half that has been absorbed by the Earth radiates directly out into space.

These processes are not simple and most are not that easy to understand so it requires study to make much sense of them.
08-01-2019 18:15
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
Wake wrote:
We're trying to have meaningful dialog here. The question you pose is asked every other posting so you should read first and ask questions after.

CO2 does slow heat transfer slightly.

WRONG. It is not possible to slow or trap heat.
Wake wrote:
But after about 250 ppm it has already absorbed all of the energy in the Earth's radiation that is present and additional amounts of CO2 have no effect.

Irrelevant. The concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere makes no difference. It is impossible to slow or trap heat.
Wake wrote:
It is important to know that molecules can only absorb energy within energy bands (like you tune your radio to a station) and that CO2's bands are very narrow and the area they are in has very little energy available to absorb.

WRONG. There is plenty of infrared light coming from the Sun, Wake. It is most of the light from the Sun.
Wake wrote:
This absorption turns radiated energy into molecular motion which causes the molecules to then transfer this energy via conduction. In total, more than half of all of the energy that the Earth receives is transfered into the upper atmosphere where for lack of other molecules it is radiated eventually out into space.

WRONG. Most is absorbed directly by the surface. See the Stefan-Boltzmann law.
Wake wrote:
The other half that has been absorbed by the Earth radiates directly out into space.

ALL of it radiates directly into space, Wake. There is no other way for any thermal energy to be dissipated into space except by conversion to radiance. See the Stefan-Boltzmann law. There is a term in there for radiance per square meter, which you are ignoring.
Wake wrote:
These processes are not simple and most are not that easy to understand so it requires study to make much sense of them.

They are very simple. You are making a vacuous argument. The Stefan-Boltzmann law is very plain. You keep trying to change it. The 2nd law of thermodynamics is very plain. You keep trying to change it.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
08-01-2019 19:23
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
The continued ignorance of Nightmare is truly amazing. Hey stupid, tell me more about how you know more about the city I was born and grew up in and have lived in my entire life except for the four years I was in the service. That's because you are just so smart.
09-01-2019 04:11
Zloppino
☆☆☆☆☆
(17)
Wake wrote:

CO2 does slow heat transfer slightly. But after about 250 ppm it has already absorbed all of the energy in the Earth's radiation that is present and additional amounts of CO2 have no effect.

This absorption turns radiated energy into molecular motion which causes the molecules to then transfer this energy via conduction. In total, more than half of all of the energy that the Earth receives is transfered into the upper atmosphere where for lack of other molecules it is radiated eventually out into space. The other half that has been absorbed by the Earth radiates directly out into space.

Well then stop breathing and do us a favor
09-01-2019 04:13
Zloppino
☆☆☆☆☆
(17)
Wake wrote:
The continued ignorance of Nightmare is truly amazing. Hey stupid, tell me more about how you know more about the city I was born and grew up in and have lived in my entire life except for the four years I was in the service. That's because you are just so smart.

When was the period in Earth history when there was no climate change?
09-01-2019 04:40
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
Wake wrote:

How do you define 'slowly', minutes, hours, days, thousands of years? It's actually pretty quick, maybe not at the speed of light, but probably not too far off, just as quickly as it can transfer the heat to something cooler. The concentration of CO2 is so small, it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, and only works with energy already there, doesn't create energy, only change what's there.
09-01-2019 19:12
Into the NightProfile picture★★★★★
(21597)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Wake wrote:

How do you define 'slowly', minutes, hours, days, thousands of years? It's actually pretty quick, maybe not at the speed of light, but probably not too far off, just as quickly as it can transfer the heat to something cooler. The concentration of CO2 is so small, it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, and only works with energy already there, doesn't create energy, only change what's there.

It's actually an irrelevant point being made by Wake. Everything absorbs, everything radiates.

The Parrot Killer

Debunked in my sig. - tmiddles

Google keeps track of paranoid talk and i'm not on their list. I've been evaluated and certified. - keepit

nuclear powered ships do not require nuclear fuel. - Swan

While it is true that fossils do not burn it is also true that fossil fuels burn very well - Swan
09-01-2019 22:11
HarveyH55Profile picture★★★★★
(5197)
The 'church' sort of implies that once warmed, it stays that way. Should be some sort of time frame. If CO2 is the cause of all that catastrophic warming, it's got to be hotter than everything around it, so it's got to share with it's surroundings. Just wondering how quickly it gives up the heat, since everything else will send it out to space.
09-01-2019 22:19
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
HarveyH55 wrote:
Wake wrote:

What you need to do is stand over sun heated pavement. There will be some warmed air rising off of it. Now this air cannot go straight up since the convection forces generate winds. It needs to get all the way to
tropopause which is about 11 miles up. In all these heated air molecules probably end up travelling 40 miles to get to the bottom of the Stratosphere and gather enough energy to radiate. Radiation occurs in all direction so some of it goes back down and strikes other molecules of the same type, gets absorbed and after enough energy is gained radiates off until it leaves the Earth. O2 and N2 at this time are also gathering energy from the ultraviolet radiations in sunlight.

Since that rising heat is going a couple of inches per second that is roughly a tenth of a mph. That means that traveling perhaps 40 miles can take 400 hours. This is the effect that slows the heat in the atmosphere.

Radiation goes at the speed of light since it is energy. Conduction and convection are very slow.
09-01-2019 22:21
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Zloppino wrote:
Wake wrote:

Well then stop breathing and do us a favor

Re-reading my entry I see that what I wrote was insulting so I apologize.
09-01-2019 22:24
Wake
★★★★★
(4034)
Zloppino wrote:
Wake wrote:

I suggest you watch this video. It is rather long but contains most of the information that you need:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=An+inconvenient+lie+Tim+Ball&view=detail&mid=F1367EAF5D47FE1CA72EF1367EAF5D47FE1CA72E&FORM=VIRE
10-01-2019 05:27
Zloppino
☆☆☆☆☆
(17)
Wake wrote:
Zloppino wrote:
Wake wrote:

I suggest you watch this video. It is rather long but contains most of the information that you need:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=An+inconvenient+lie+Tim+Ball&view=detail&mid=F1367EAF5D47FE1CA72EF1367EAF5D47FE1CA72E&FORM=VIRE

Are there real dinosaurs in the video?

Join the debate A very simple but meaningful fact about CO2, without it:

Remember me

Related content
ThreadsRepliesLast post
Fossil Fuel Substitution for reduced emission of CO2, mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium..39201-12-2023 21:58
Proof That Too Much CO2 Is An Existential Threat32607-11-2023 19:16
Just one simple question3925-10-2023 02:31
There is no scientific theory or evidence that suggest CO2 traps heat better than O2 or N253330-01-2023 07:22
CO2 Is Helping the Ozone Layer to Recover113-08-2022 05:54
▲ Top of page
Public Poll
Who is leading the renewable energy race?

US

EU

China

Japan

India

Brazil

Other

Don't know

Thanks for supporting Climate-Debate.com.
Copyright © 2009-2020 Climate-Debate.com | About | Contact